Matador WMA - 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matador WMA - 2021

I got drawn for archery, pretty excited! Seems like topography is real brushy; are there many trees to hang in or should I bet on hunting from the ground?

Depending on the compartment you get assigned, ground is almost a given or there.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I did that hunt in 2013. Not much to climb in the western units. I did more glassing than anything else. That and hunted water holes.

Comment

Mesquite and cedar mostly. Take a ground blind and/or build one in the brush.

Comment

Did you draw the Whitetail or Mule deer archery?

Comment

Originally posted by Boone11 View Post
            Did you draw the Whitetail or Mule deer archery?
            White tail

Thanks for all the info guys!

Comment

I drew the Mule Deer hunt in October.

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                I got drawn for archery, pretty excited! Seems like topography is real brushy; are there many trees to hang in or should I bet on hunting from the ground?

It will be a tough archery hunt, rough terrain
                My suggestion is spend the first day glassing
                Find a pattern and then make an ambush plan
                There are some monster WT in that place , hope I get lucky enough to draw there again one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                  It will be a tough archery hunt, rough terrain
                  My suggestion is spend the first day glassing
                  Find a pattern and then make an ambush plan
                  There are some monster WT in that place , hope I get lucky enough to draw there again one day.

Okay awesome, good advise thank you! It'll be a fun challenge! Totally different terrain I've ever hunted.
                  Last edited by troy_w_7; 08-16-2021, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                    Okay awesome, good advise thank you! It'll be a fun challenge! Totally different terrain I've ever hunted.

I drew mule deer a while back
                    You can search for the thread
                    May help, may not

Good luck

Comment

Pick a compartment with a working windmill, they will be shown on the map. Setup a ground blind within range and shoot you a deer. That is about your best odds out there. Good luck.

Comment

I drew gun antlerless. Looks like I can only shoot hogs and does. My buddy hunted there last year on gun mule deer, and gave me some hints, but does anyone have any suggestions.

Comment

Matador kicked my butt but it was a good experience and got to share camp with some great dudes!

I had a 4-point walk within range on the first sit, I saw 4 mule deer does at the trough last night but those were the only deer I saw while hunting. The only other deer I saw were driving in and out in the dark. I glass for hours and literally glassed up zero deer. So that tactic wasn't working for me. I mostly stuck to hunting trees in the main canyon where draws/fingers would intersect. I was seeing sign in the there and found some real solid sheds in those areas but the deer weren't there or just slipped past me.

I was glad I had the opportunity to hunt there either way! And I did drop the sheds at the office!
                          Attached Files

Comment

What compartment were you in?? There are definitely some monsters there, but early season is very tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                              What compartment were you in?? There are definitely some monsters there, but early season is very tough.
                              Lone Canyon

Comment

Working...
                              X