1 year of shooting traditional gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 year of shooting traditional gear.

This month marks the one year mark when I started shooting a recurve, and I have learned most everything I know to this point from folks on this sight. I would like to say that, I could kick myself for not trying this earlier in life ( I will be 50 next year), but I am still glad that I have taken it up. I have not shot a compound bow once, since I started shooting trad, and as a matter of fact, I sold my compound. I have stuck with it, and love it, and have practiced a bunch. I have went to 3 3D shoots and my scores have gotten better with each one. Vanderpool 299= 5.98 pts per target, Chester 269=6.725 pts per target, and then Austin this weekend if I added the card correctly, considering I almost had a heat stroke lol 231= 7.7 pts per target. Some of my takes after one year of shooting are these.

1. Its hard!! the only thing I can compare it to in my life is learning to play the guitar, Its a lot of practice, and work without quick results. The most gratifying things in life to me, are usually something you have to work hard at, this falls in that category.

2. To get better you have to do everything the same every time, I know this has been stated several times, but what works for one person may not work for the next. If you find something you like, stick with it and repeat it over and over, you will see improvement.

3 The people that do trad archery are very friendly and helpful at the shoots, I have only ran across one person who was kind of unfriendly, the rest act like they are your best friend, and very helpful.

4. Hunting and getting a good ethical shot at an animal, can be difficult, especially on pigs and axis. Young whitetail, in my experience are not that difficult if they are hungry.

5. Based on what I have seen at the 3D shoots, I worry about the future of Trad archery. As I stated earlier I am almost 50. and I would say that 75 percent of the folks I run into are older than me. I don't see a lot of kids shooting, and, and don't see a lot of folks I would say are between the ages of 20 -50. I think with the amount of practice it takes, and everyone's busy lifestyle, most people don't have the time it takes to practice, and give up. I cant get my 16 year old son to shoot with me, he has so many other things going on in life, ( Hi tech, computers phones, games, ect.) I think most kids are the same way, I think its a reflection on society, most people want the easy way.

These are a few of my takes, I would like to once again thank everyone who has taken the time to help me in the last year. I have gotten input from several on this sight, shot 3D with a few of you, and have talked or texted to some on the phone. I hope one day I will be very proficient at Trad archery, and will be able to help someone new, the way a lot of you have helped me. Jason

Keep up the good work Jason.
    And yes, I agree that it taking time and commitment makes it hard for many to do it.
    That one sentence about working hard with results coming slowly is an impossible concept for the instant gratification age.
    I am part of that 75% and realize my son and daughter most likely will not take this up. It is discouraging not only to see that, but to know how that attitude affects so much in life.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow Jason your progressing really well. It took me a long time to average 8 points per target and I still fall short of that goal regularly. I’m one of the old ones (71). Tried the compound in the seventies and didn’t care for it. Keep up the good work! Maybe I’ll see you at Waelder.

Comment

That's a pretty accurate account! Traditional archery is hard but rewarding. And yes, the trad archery world is full of good people.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckc. View Post
          Wow Jason your progressing really well. It took me a long time to average 8 points per target and I still fall short of that goal regularly. I’m one of the old ones (71). Tried the compound in the seventies and didn’t care for it. Keep up the good work! Maybe I’ll see you at Waelder.
          I don't know if I can make Waelder this weekend, but if I do I can promise you this, I will be buying my card as soon as they open the course. Austin was brutal last weekend with the heat, and elevation change. I did not feel a stitch of breeze down in that cedar thicket, it was some kind of hot.

Comment

Much easier terrain at Waelder!
            Last edited by chuckc.; 07-27-2021, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Just keep at it Jason! It only gets better and better!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My only regret is not staying with it in my 20s. I didn’t have the patience back then and I got instant satisfaction and results with a compound. Now that I’m in my mid 40s and can hit the target most days, it’s the most rewarding hunting and archery experience yet. Even my little local 3D tournaments get me excited. Best people to hang out with by far.

Comment

Working...
                X