Best meals ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
    I have my great grandmas jar of bacon grease. Never been cleaned out. I always add to it when I make bacon. While the rest of the family were fighting over her estate, I loaded the jar of bacon grease, cast iron and a couple pictures. To this day I use all of them and smile each time thinking of her.
    You are definitely winning! Good for you

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
      In my Younger years, I'm talking 50 years ago, we had the Burkett reunion. All the Burkett women prepared all the food. I'm talking late 50's to mid 60's. What a feast we had. Had enough food to feed at least twice the number of people attending. Man there was some great food there. I'm sure the ladies fixed their favorite dish. Miss those days when families just got together to eat and visit while the kids played.
      I’m a Burkett Grandson. Which reunion were you going to?

Feel free to pm if you don’t want open conversation, but I’d love to know the connections.

I’m in Yoakum Area

Comment

Originally posted by W E H View Post
        I’m a Burkett Grandson. Which reunion were you going to?

Feel free to pm if you don’t want open conversation, but I’d love to know the connections.

I’m in Yoakum Area
        Burkett reunion at Lake Merritt in Mills county. Did your Dad work at a feedlot in the panhandle? Jerry was his name I think.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
          Yep it was grandmothers chicken fried steak cream potatoes with white gravy black eyed peas and the only place I’ve ever had fried cornbread - crunchy and delicious
          My Grandmother owned the Peoples Cafe..
          Her signature meal was Chicken Fried Steak with mashed potatoes and gravy.
          It would cover a 12" plate.. she also served her chicken fry with heinz 57.. the gravy was only on the potatoes.. i use her recipe to this day.
          In later yrs, she sold the cafe and became the head cook at pur grade school.. which was when i was there, early thru mid 70s, our school food was great.!

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
            Bring your arse to my house when I'm frying pork chops with white rice and scratch gravy. Bring your grandmother too, bet I can make her blush!

So I’ve always told people if I had a “last meal” it would be fried pork chops with homemade gravy, rice, side of corn and butter beans with bread.
            And the ham hock from the beans on the side.
            My mom could make a meal out of whatever was available. When you grow up
            Poor you get creative with food. My moms gumbo is the best, whether it’s chicken and sausage or seafood. I took my son for crawfish Saturday evening and I got a bowl of gumbo, he tasted it and said it’s good but not like nanny’s!
            I had been dating my wife for about 2 weeks, we were both 23 and she wanted me to cook her dinner. We went to the grocery store and decided on steak, I naturally went straight to the sirloin, she was like what are you doing? She insisted on ribeye! That was the first time I ever ate a ribeye, quite a difference in the two let me tell you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
              Burkett reunion at Lake Merritt in Mills county. Did your Dad work at a feedlot in the panhandle? Jerry was his name I think.
              There was a Burkett reunion in Staples that I remember them going to in the mid 1970’s. Staples is between Luling and San Marcos. That was the only one I’d heard of and it was only that one time I remember them going.

No ties to the panhandle. All mine were in the central south Texas area. My mother was the last last named Burkett that I knew. My last name is Hairell.

These are the only ones I knew.

Grandfather Roston Burkett
              Great Aunt Edith Burkett Huth
              Great Uncle Jake Burkett (I believe he died in the 1930’s)

Comment

My mother and her sister were excellent cooks. They both made fried shrimp better than any restaurant I have ever eaten at. I can come close but no cigar. Mom also made a killer stuffed flounder. The only thing my mother cooked that I didn't care for was her chicken fried steak.

Comment

Originally posted by louieagarcia View Post
                  As a kid we would take road trips to abuelitas house in SW Mexico....never forget when we arrived she would have a table full of authentic goodies, chicken mole, carne guisada, Chile molcajete, handmade tortillas, guac, ect. Everything was fresh as she would make frequent trips to the mercado for fresh groceries and produce. I’ll never forget the wonderful smells from the kitchen and amazing meals had at grandmas house.
                  Oh my. I am freaking hungry again…I’d just about kill for some chicken mole enchiladas right now.

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                    Bring your arse to my house when I'm frying pork chops with white rice and scratch gravy. Bring your grandmother too, bet I can make her blush!
                    Just got home from Centerville, I’ll hit you up next time!!!!!

Comment

my dads fried catfish and hush puppies,,,,, mom's red beans, rice and sausage with fried cornbread,, my own home cooked steaks. my late aunts chicken and dumplins,

Comment

I miss all of my moms cooking. She was the best. Couldn’t boil water when her and dad got married but she learned and learned well.
                        My absolute favorite was something she made called Veal Birds. I don’t know how it was made but I remember that it was veal stuffed with or wrapped around some type of dressing and then wrapped in bacon and held together with toothpicks.
                        I asked her once why we didn’t have them very often and she’d tell me that they were only for the most special occasions because they were so expensive to make.
                        The last time she fixed Veal Birds was the day in 1969 when my dad came home from Vietnam. Yeah, that was a very special occasion. They were his favorite too.

Comment

My grandmothers and my mamas cooking period.
                          I would never ask what they were cooking because whatever it was it was going to be good.
                          And I wasn’t picking.
                          Granny is gone and mama doesn’t cook anymore (but I cook her supper every Sunday).
                          Granny didn’t fry anything but bacon and eggs. She baked,simmered or made soups and stews. Mama would fry a lot (chicken,pork chops and steaks) but would simmer and bake too.
                          We didn’t have much money but we always ate good.

Comment

What is it about grandmother's fried chicken? Yes, my grandmother's chicken was always perfect golden brown, but my Mom couldn't replicate the recipe. My wife can't do fried chicken either. Only found one restaurant when on a trip to Nebraska that could come close to my Nana's chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                              My grandmother's fried shrimp. All her food was fantastic, but the shrimp were out of this world, such a strong butter taste. I have tried to replicate, get close, but just not the same. Now that I sit here and think about it, she used Crisco to fry them in, I have been using peanut oil. Will need to try Crisco next time. Miss her and my grandfather dearly, wish I would have asked more questions...
                              She may have used the butter flavored crisco. They use to offer that not sure about today.

Comment

I'll say one thing I don't care much for is hamburgers. I ate millions of them growing up. I like hamburger in things like hamburger helper,spaghetti sauce ect. But it was cheap eatin so grandma cooked them all the time. They were cooked good but I think I've just eaten too many of em. I'll still eat one now and again but I prefer other food.

I know I'm weird. But dadgum I feel like I'm about 10 trillion cheeseburgers ahead of everyone else in life.
                                Last edited by okrattler; 07-05-2021, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X