Best meals ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
    My wife's Chicken and Dumplins. She rolls her dumplins out using my great-grandmother's rolling pin and makes it all using the same recipe that my family has been using for generations. I grew up eating my grandma's Chicken and Dumplins and they were good, but my wife's are better.
    Rolling out dough makes the best dumplings.
    I usually make chicken and dumplings a day ahead, because they are always better the second day.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
      Seems like she sure used bacon grease a lot when cooking certain things. A lot of the things I grew up eatin probably wasn't very healthy. Heck it was fried 98% of the time. But somehow I still think it was probably better for me than what I eat now days. I don't get to eat homemade meals but every now and then. I can down some food so I make it count when I do.
      I have my great grandmas jar of bacon grease. Never been cleaned out. I always add to it when I make bacon. While the rest of the family were fighting over her estate, I loaded the jar of bacon grease, cast iron and a couple pictures. To this day I use all of them and smile each time thinking of her.

Comment

Originally posted by louieagarcia View Post
        As a kid we would take road trips to abuelitas house in SW Mexico....never forget when we arrived she would have a table full of authentic goodies, chicken mole, carne guisada, Chile molcajete, handmade tortillas, guac, ect. Everything was fresh as she would make frequent trips to the mercado for fresh groceries and produce. I’ll never forget the wonderful smells from the kitchen and amazing meals had at grandmas house.
        That sounds so good right now

Comment

My mommas pinto beans that would take a full 24 hours to make and her 100% homemade German chocolate cake!!

Man I can taste and smell them from here.

Comment

Butter beans with smoked ox tail and salt pork with a side of skillet corn bread.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
              Butter beans with smoked ox tail and salt pork with a side of skillet corn bread.
              Sounds amazing!!!!

Comment

Both my grandmas could throw down in the kitchen. On my dads side (from Alabama) the chicken dumplings were some of my favorite. On my moms side (from Sicily) scotcha, cannolis, lasagna with home made noodles.

Comment

Dadgum it fellas reading all this is makin my mouth water. I feel like I'm starved half to death.

Comment

My grandma's fried chicken and apple pie were second to none. She was the stereotypical German woman and made a lot a great food but those were my favorites. Man I miss her.

Comment

Mashed potato encrusted walleye

Finished in an oven that browns the top of taters

Never hurts to put some butter and herbs inside on fish

Comment

My great grandma’s fried chicken - fresh from the chicken coop & cooked in the “modern” propane stove accompanied with a pie, cooked on the wood fired stove/oven. That poor Oklahoma farmers wife could cook - not as fancy but ever bit 5 star chef quality.

My grandma’s German chocolate cake - I really don’t like chocolate nor am I a “sweets” guy - but I’d pay $1K today for her cake and not share a single piece.

Comment

My grandmother's fried shrimp. All her food was fantastic, but the shrimp were out of this world, such a strong butter taste. I have tried to replicate, get close, but just not the same. Now that I sit here and think about it, she used Crisco to fry them in, I have been using peanut oil. Will need to try Crisco next time. Miss her and my grandfather dearly, wish I would have asked more questions...

Comment

Bring your arse to my house when I'm frying pork chops with white rice and scratch gravy. Bring your grandmother too, bet I can make her blush!

Comment

In my Younger years, I'm talking 50 years ago, we had the Burkett reunion. All the Burkett women prepared all the food. I'm talking late 50's to mid 60's. What a feast we had. Had enough food to feed at least twice the number of people attending. Man there was some great food there. I'm sure the ladies fixed their favorite dish. Miss those days when families just got together to eat and visit while the kids played.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                                My wife's Chicken and Dumplins. She rolls her dumplins out using my great-grandmother's rolling pin and makes it all using the same recipe that my family has been using for generations. I grew up eating my grandma's Chicken and Dumplins and they were good, but my wife's are better.

My wife’s grandma makes em the same way….they’re top 5 no doubt

Another 2 that come to mind are my mom’s(grandma) Swiss steak and PoPo’s fried chicken

Comment

Working...
                                X