Any Construction Lawyers on the Green Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Construction Lawyers on the Green Screen

I'm looking for some life advice not legal advice. I'm 27 and have been working in the construction industry for 10 years or so. I graduated from Texas A&M with a Construction Science degree and currently work as a Project Manager for a sub on large commercial projects. Recently I've been kicking around the idea of going back to school to get a law degree in hopes of practicing construction law. I'm curious if anyone on the green screen has taken a similar route and has any advice or insight into getting this done. Or should I just stick to what I know and remain a PM?

What makes you interested in the jump?

Maybe look into more of a contract management role??

From my involvement in litigation and legal “discussions”, attorney is WAY down on my list of choices.

Comment

What do you hope to accomplish with this move?

Comment

I'm looking for a little more freedom from moving around to jobsites and having the ability to work remotely. The increase in pay would be welcome as well.

Other than that, I just feel a little stagnant in my current position and am looking for a little more growth.

Comment

Originally posted by cjk349 View Post
          I'm looking for a little more freedom from moving around to jobsites and having the ability to work remotely. The increase in pay would be welcome as well.

Other than that, I just feel a little stagnant in my current position and am looking for a little more growth.
          If you really want to feel stagnant then become a lawyer!

Sincerely,

A lawyer

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
            If you really want to feel stagnant then become a lawyer!

Sincerely,

A lawyer
            Lol. What kind of law do you practice?

Comment

What about business ownership?
              Nothing stagnant about that
              Take the same money, you were going to spend on more education and open your own

Comment

I do a fair bit of it. Depends on what you really like to do and what your talents are. I will say that a good portion of my contractor friends and clients work less hours and do as well or better financially.

Comment

My nextdoor neighbor is a construction lawyer. Sounds like zero fun to me.

Also feel like it's a backwards move in terms of freedom and the ability to work remote. Most of the PMs I work with daily work from home and just put into jobsites on occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Collier View Post
                    What about business ownership?
                    Nothing stagnant about that
                    Take the same money, you were going to spend on more education and open your own
                    I've also considered that as well. I'm just exploring options at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by cjk349 View Post

A) If you still enjoy your job, then it sounds like you need to talk to your boss if you have stagnated. Either you aren't performing, or your not selling yourself well enough to your boss.

B) If you want stay with construction but get a taste of law, get in with a litigation consulting firm. That is what I have done the last seven years. Pay is much closer to attorneys, and your job is to fix other peoples disasters all day long. It's a ton of fun, and the sky is the limit. I have multiple hobbies now I only dreamed having while working in construction. All the while, contributing more to my retirement than I was paid in total at my first job out of school.

If that sounds interesting, PM me and I will send you some info, and get yours. I started here around 28 or 29, so you aren't much younger than me when I started the consulting gig. Good luck!

Comment

I'm a CRE lender financing large construction projects. The attorneys we hire appear to work an insane amount of hours, are always under the gun from a timing perspective and seem to be high stress. I wouldn't trade places with them for any amount of money from what I see from my seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                          I'm a CRE lender financing large construction projects. The attorneys we hire appear to work an insane amount of hours, are always under the gun from a timing perspective and seem to be high stress. I wouldn't trade places with them for any amount of money from what I see from my seat.
                          That sounds like any position in the construction world!!! Doesn't matter if you supply the money, material or put it all together. It seems no one knows how to think ahead!!! Lol

Comment

My son graduated from Texas A&M with a Construction Science degree and was a PM for a large company but left to work for a smaller company so he could learn more about the entire project not just one part. His goal is to start his own company in a few years and he seems to be well on his way.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                              As a former CRE lending attorney, I can confirm this is an accurate statement. I'm glad to be out of that world. Can't imagine ever going back.

Comment

Working...
                              X