Grand Design RV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grand Design RV

Anyone with knowledge on this RV brand? We’re looking at travel trailer bunkhouse bumper pull models. We’ve looked at these, jayco, and Forrest river. Grand design seemed to have the best interior but seem to be less known I’m sure because of volume of the other two. Did a search didn’t see a whole lot of reviews on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a grand design 28ft bumper pull and the inside is decent but nothing special. They’re all cheaply made and are built as light as possible.

Comment

Have a imagine xls 23bhe and absolutely love it. We looked at others and came to the same conclusion as you.

They seem to have a great social media support system and customer service as well.

That said, I think they are all in the grand scheme of things, cheaply made and will have issues.

Comment

GD and Jayco are about the highest quality level at their price points. Think Ford or GM. Then there is another brand, made by Tiffan, that is like the BMW of RV's.

GD are really nice. Most owners complaints are usually user error, or failure to understand how something works. Just like Jayco. Just do your pre purchase inspection, and take your time, and you will be just fine. We almost bought a GD, they just didn't have the bunkhouse we wanted. We went with a Jayco.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderpig1776 View Post
          I have a grand design 28ft bumper pull and the inside is decent but nothing special. They’re all cheaply made and are built as light as possible.

That describes every bumper pull.

Comment

Have a Grand Design bumper pull and it’s been a great trailer but we’ve out grown
            it. We’ve been shopping and want to stick with grand design but they don’t offer all the features we want. If we could get a grand design with everything we wanted we would stick with them no questions asked.

Comment

Originally posted by PredatorControl View Post
              Have a Grand Design bumper pull and it’s been a great trailer but we’ve out grown
              it. We’ve been shopping and want to stick with grand design but they don’t offer all the features we want. If we could get a grand design with everything we wanted we would stick with them no questions asked.
              Same here, We are really happy with our GD Imagine but thinking of upgrading to a 5th wheel staying wit GD or possibly Outdoorsman RV.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                GD and Jayco are about the highest quality level at their price points. Think Ford or GM. Then there is another brand, made by Tiffan, that is like the BMW of RV's.

GD are really nice. Most owners complaints are usually user error, or failure to understand how something works. Just like Jayco. Just do your pre purchase inspection, and take your time, and you will be just fine. We almost bought a GD, they just didn't have the bunkhouse we wanted. We went with a Jayco.

We are in the process of looking for a new 5th wheel, and I agree with this post 100%. Been doing lots of research, and it’s looking like Grand Design, Jayco or Open Range. I’m having trouble finding a “quality” camper with all the features we want, that’s under 40’.

Comment

We have an Apex ultra lite by Coachmen. Love it. It has the Azdel walls, makes a big difference. Did research other brands but we preferred this one. Have had no issues.

Comment

GD Imagine 23BHE here as well. Wanted a smaller one to allow switchbacks in the mountains. Me and 3 buddies used it last year in Colorado on a fishing trip and it did fine. Had to be really organized with that many folks in a 23! Would buy it again.

Comment

GD makes a great trailer. They all have troubles. GD usually are equipped with 50amp service regardless of size. That is nice. Most others are 30amp as far as smaller bumper pulls go. They have residential toilets if I am not mistaken.

We looked at them but went a different route.

Comment

We bought a 2021 Transcend 221RB last August and love it. It is considered a couples trailer and I didn't want to buy a new truck. We've had it out about 15 trips so far just returning from S. Llano River SP. Transcend is the lower end but we are very pleased with the quality. Grand Design requires dealers to do a PDI prior to delivery. If they don't, ask why not.

I did a lot of research prior to buying and found this article very helpful. YMMV https://outdoorfact.com/travel-trailer-brands-to-avoid

I can highly recommend our dealer in Rockport, Camper Clinic, though they are now a part of Explore USA. Not sure if that will change the service we have had. During PDI they found the board that controlled the option of electric or propane to operate the frig was faulty, no propane option. Apparently a bad batch as we were 8th in line to get one. I took the rig and they called a month later to tell me the board was in. Set an appointment to fix it. We arrived at 10:30 and went to lunch in Port Aransas. Came back at 3 PM and decided to go by since we hadn't heard from them. They said they were getting ready to call us to let know the rig was ready.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210613_082426.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	24654179
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment

Jayco is not what they used to be. Lower end quality now days.

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                              We are in the process of looking for a new 5th wheel, and I agree with this post 100%. Been doing lots of research, and it’s looking like Grand Design, Jayco or Open Range. I’m having trouble finding a “quality” camper with all the features we want, that’s under 40’.

We bought a Jayco 31MB 5th wheel (37') a few months back. Really like everything about it, especially with our two small kids having their own room. As mentioned, everything on travel trailers is built cheaply. So far I'm on the third motor for one of the slides (first was faulty, second wouldn't move, and third has worked fine thus far, fingers crossed). One of the support pistons on the awning has given out (we've never used it, but just tried it out on our last trip and sure enough). The check valve was malfunctioning on the water heater (cheap chi-com plastic that wouldn't open all the way. That was replaced with brass). Otherwise, all good...lol!!

They all have issues and hopefully we sail smoothly for a while. Thankful all these were DIY repairs vs. bringing it in for service, and Crestwood was very cooperative exchanging parts to make it right.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X