Towing a tractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towing a tractor

What’s about the biggest tractor you can tow with a 1/2 ton pickup?

One that’s under your vehicles GVWR.

Comment

Many variables, what’s your GVWR, what type of trailer, how heavy is the trailer. What truck are you towing it with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Does your trailer have good breaks? Is the transmission under warranty?

In all seriousness you can pull a heavy tractor if the weight is over the axles. Short distance and level areas. Lots of hills and much distance will heat your transmission.
        Last edited by GarGuy; 06-09-2021, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I’ve got a 2011 Chevy 1500 with the 6 cylinder engine, and it will pull my 30 hp Kubota and finish mower just fine. I don’t have a brake controller on the truck, but it does have tow haul.

Comment

100 hp is about tops. You won't be able to stop it but you should be able to get it rolling.

Comment

Its not about if u can tow it, its about if u can stop it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
                Its not about if u can tow it, its about if u can stop it.
                Yes This!

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  100 hp is about tops. You won't be able to stop it but you should be able to get it rolling.
                  That sounds like quite a chore for a half ton pickup.

Comment

Guys I realize that I could mock up all sorts of weight configurations to stay under the vehicle limits. I’m just asking for generalities.

For instance is there a huge weight jump from 30-40 horse power tractors? Above 40? I want one with a loader so that’s something to factor in. I have a brake controller on my tundra, but it’s a 4x4 crew so it’s weight rating is the worst of all the tundras. Which suck to begin with in the ability to tow lots of weight department.

Just trying to figure out where to start looking. Don’t plan on taking it all over. Just into town if it were to need service that I can’t perform. Trying to be practical.

Comment

I pull a 50 hp tractor all around with a 1/2 ton, it weights 6k#s or so. No big deal. I pull mine with a Tundra crew also.

Comment

Ok cool. I was hoping a 40hp with a loader wasn’t out of the realm of possibility.

Comment

A 40hp with FEL will probably be between 4-5k pounds. Not an issue for a half ton, my wife’s uncle pulls around a 40 something hp John Deere with a Chevy Colorado. Lol

Comment

I pulled out 2wd JD 5055e with a FEL no problem with a 2011 Toyota Tundra. Tundra has plenty of power to pull it and if you have trailer brakes you are golden.

Comment

Back in 2014, a Kubota MX5100 with front end loader and box blade on a 10,000 pound rated trailer exceeded the labeled towing capacity of my 2012 Tundra.

Comment

Working...
                              X