No announcement yet.

Biltong eaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the feedback, seems there are some dislike it, some so so, prefer jerky. Not really getting the like or really like ones. If you tried it in Africa most likely is was a plains animal. Different from beef, I guess as I have not tried it. Some youtube videos looks pretty good, simple spices and different vinegars could change the taste. I look forward to trying it at the ranch we will stay at ,Sabudawn Safari headquarters.

Comment

I have never been to South Africa, but I have a South African buddy that makes it out of beef and gives me some. His is delicious. The few times I bought it in a store here in the US it has been awful.

Comment

It's edible but good jerky is far better.

Comment

Ive made it before. Too gummy of a texture. Rather have jerky.

Comment

I'll eat but venison jerky is better. Spent a few months in SA myself and have ate few different types.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
              Is it covered with fly blow ? Or is it salt and pepper dipped to prevent fly larvae
              PH emphasized it could be told it was a certain antelope, but chances were higher it could be baboon or any road kill they could sell to an unsuspecting tourist.

Comment

We made a big batch from the Eland bull my wife shot while we were in South Africa. It was great. It’s the same as jerky minus the smoke. Well it’s the same as cold smoked jerky. It’s not the cooked crap you buy at the gas station.

Our PH brought us 2 big bags of the seasoning. Probably enough seasoning to make 1000 pounds. We made a batch out of axis winter before last and it was good. It’s just hard to air dry it here with the weather not as cold and dry like it is there.

If anyone needs some seasoning just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My grandparents and mom are from South Africa. My grandpa has made it before and I was a big fan of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I make it out of last year's venison roasts if I have any left at the beginning of the new season. I like it pretty well. It's not jerky, but it is good.

Basic recipe, sent to me by a friend in SA
                    5kg of meat. They like rump roast/silverside if using beef. You want big chunks. I use ham roasts.
                    1 C brown sugar
                    500g coarse salt (not table salt, they say specifically)
                    2 T baking soda
                    1 cup of broken up coriander seeds (You can use ground coriander)
                    1 T cracked black pepper (I use a lot more)

Mix all the ingredients, and rub on the meat. Place in one layer in a glass container. Spray with red wine vinegar. Cover the container with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 24 hours.

Hang it in a cool, dry place. I tend to put it in a corner of my garage, with a box fan running but not pointed at it. You want subtle air movement, not full on fan.

It will turn dark colored and hard on the outside. After 2 days the thinner spots may be OK. I've let it hang as long at 10 days.

Slice and eat.

Comment

Whataburger sounds much better!

Comment

Comment

I have had “ jerky” from different places made thicker like is from old school processors, now most people make the really thin meat strips, I guess it’s easier to use a dehydrator and liquid smoke then take time to naturally cure with smoke and air circulation ( jerky has changed since I was a kid)
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 06-01-2021, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post

I think our humidity in Houston would ruin it in my garage, I want to try it but idk where to hang it in the house. (That the wife approves of)

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post

That’s not biltong

Comment

Working...
                              X