Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
COPPERHEAD
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins, Bowie, Lamar Counties
Default What is the closest you have come to death?

I was surveying in the mountains of Utah back in 2007. Had some shell rock give away and lost my footing. I slid a good 50 feet down into a canyon. Had a 50lb gps backpack on my back. On my slide down I tore my dome cable up on my pack. Thats what communicated with the satelites. No way to tell where I was. I tried crawling back up several times and wasnt possible. I couldnt get nobody on a two way radio. They flew us in and dropped us off in the mornings and would pick us up in the afternoons. I mean litetaly in the middle of nowhere. There were prarrie rattlers, mountain lion, and bears on this job. I dang sure didnt want to be walking down that brushy winding canyon. I was easy prey. I finaly headed in the direction I felt best. The brushy trees were nearly impossible to crawl through with the bulky gps pack on my back. As im on my journey I notice something white underneath a rock overhang on the side of the canyon walls. As I ease up there I notice it was a recently killed antelope. Thats when my mind and addrenaline got the best of me. I got on the move super pronto!! I have never been spooked so bad in my life. I walked several miles before I came to a place to crawl back up to the top. Finaly got radio waves and called for help. It was a happy sound hearing the helicopter coming. I spent 7 hours trapped in that canyon. I watched my step extra careful after that. It was a miracle the fall didnt break my neck. The pilot said the weight of the gps pack on my back was the only think that saved me from rolling all the way down. Seing that freshly killed antelope scared me worse than the fall. I also hit a full grown angus bull running 70 mph in the fog. Totaled the truck and bull. I walked out without a scratch. Share your stories
COPPERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Lazyman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton

I was working nights at a warehouse and was asleep one afternoon..It was in the middle of summer and had my bedroom door closed with a window unit going full blast..Something startled me and I listened real close and could here someone yelling "POLICE" several times..I get up still in my underwear and fling open the door and there 3 cops standing inside my front door, guns drawn and asking who the hell I was..I sat down on the couch half asleep trying to get my shorts on..Answered some questions and they were happy and off they went..Found out the next day they were after some kids that had stole some stuff around the corner and one of them bailed out by my house and just so happened I didn't lock my front door that day and they thought the guy had come into my house and thought I was him..Could have been bad if one of the cops would have had an itchy finger..
Lazyman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Twztid
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson Co.

Being stupid, rolling 140/150mph on my hayabusa, on hwy35N towards Austin going to ROT rally. A car decides to switch lanes, I was coming to fast and not enough time to react. I Laid the bike down slid across three lanes of 35. And everyone knows how busy that high way is. Missed getting ran over several time and by several cars/trucks. Was missing some skin and had some embedded asphalt in my rear but made it

Last edited by Twztid; 02-15-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Twztid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
FISHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayetteville,Calvert

1. Decided at last minute not to cross street with my sisters in case there was a car behind the right turning 18 wheeler. Hidden SUV went by at about 70 MPH. Me and both my sisters wouldnt be here to tell this story having I decided it was ok to cross.

2. Wading at San-Luis pass one day and fell into a 12ft gut. Waders filled up with water and I was swept away under water. stripped out of them at last minute under water and swam to surface after gulping a lot of water.
FISHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
ghostwalker
Four Point

Hunt In: all over texas

Closest I ever came to dieing was February 3 rd of last year was sitting behind an 18 wheeler with .my .pregnant fiancee when another 18 wheeler hit us from behind running 50 miles per hour plus my fiancee lost our son she was carrying and almost died her self as for me I was banged up busted shoulder and busted up right one and very bad seat belt burns
ghostwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Pulling trailer with three pallets of concrete outdoor tiles improperly placed to rear if trailer..
Hit 50 mph on 45 and trailer started walking so far it was in both lanes to either side if me.. rear end if my truck was skidding side to side..hopping..
Cars behind me running off the road to get from behind me..
Let off the gas ..it settled down.. pulled off the road and hugged my wife and checked on my 2 yearold daughter in her car seat in the back seat.. she was giggling.
Scared the life outta me.. shook for a couple hours after that..
Drove ten miles an hour the rest of the way home.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #7
Osceola
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill County,Kansas

Truck came across the median on I35 and we hit going 70.First doctor to see me told me later he gave me no chance to live.12 surgeries and 4 months of rehab I got lucky and made it.
Osceola is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandale

16 years old duck hunting a lake on the ranch I worked at with a buddy of mine. Bryant had a new puppy he was working. Well we had several ducks laying in the water that the dog wouldn't go get. So Bryant hands me his shotgun and walks out to get the ducks. We both had chest waders on. For some reason he needed help, so I head out to him, carrying both shotguns. About half way to Bryant, I hit a creek bed and sank. Being 16 with my brand new 870 and Bryants shotgun, the first thing on my mind was to not let go of the guns. I could literally see the light at the surface of the water, but could not get there. I finally dropped the guns and made enough of a splash that Bryant relized that I was in trouble and came and got me. On top of it all it was below freezing. So soaking wet, scared out of my mind. We got in my truck and warmed up. And yes , went right back and got the guns. Remember we were 16-17, those guns were our life.
I can still close my eyes and see daylight at the surface of the water.

Brian
brianlg31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #9
Lynda
Ten Point

Hunt In: hope...

Wow, ghostwalker. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Mine's another motorcycle story. Been knocked off three times - two drunk drivers and a new driver. However, the miracle story for me was riding the winding, narrow, country roads in England on my Kawa Z750, and hitting a sharp turn too fast. I crossed into the other lane inches away from a truck coming the other way.

The truck driver and I stopped and looked back at each other in disbelief that a fatality didn't just happen. Only by the grace of God.
Lynda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
COPPERHEAD
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins, Bowie, Lamar Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twztid View Post
Being stupid, rolling 140/150mph on my hayabusa, on hwy35N towards Austin going to ROT rally. A car decides to switch lanes, I was coming to fast and not enough time to react. I Laid the bike down slid across three lanes of 35. And everyone knows how busy that high way is. Missed getting ran over several time and by several cars/trucks. Was missing some skin and had some embedded asphalt in my rear but made it
Laid a 750 Suzuki Katana over running sixty and walked out. I pulled gravel out of my body for along time. Had a lady run a yield sign on a service road off I-30. Havent been on one since.
COPPERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #11
BeetleGuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman, TX / Alread, AR

Two years ago we were standing up a 20 foot tall tower blind. The cable snapped when it was 3/4 up. It came down too fast to react. The corner of the blind hit me in the chest and knocked me off the trailer on to the ground. It missed my head by about 1 inch. It actually scratched my cheek on the way down. Other than a huge bruise I was ok. It made me sick to my stomach for weeks when I would think of it. Needless to say I do not help tilt tower blinds anymore.
BeetleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Got hung up in a 110 current when I was 19 changing out a water pump fuse at my cousin's cotton gin. I was standing on a PVC pipe and had that not broke and my body pulled me out of it, I am not so sure I would be here right now.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #13
TMC50
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whereever I can

Ran out of a burning out a couple years ago.... 5 minutes later and I would have been jumpin out the 2nd story....

In 2007 while working on a fence at a ranch, took a break and went walking around! For some reason I stopped and between my legs was a rattler! I was wearing shorts and tennis shoes! I jumped about as high as he did..
TMC50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #14
CletusBodeen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: On da couch

At the age of 12 my appendix ruptured(didn't know this at the time). My dad kept thinking it was a bad stomach ache. Finally decided to take to the dr. They rushed me into surgery. It took 3 weeks to get up and walking. Gan green had just about eat me up from the inside out. Dr said if they had waited a few more hours they would have been putting me in the ground. Thank god it wasn't in his plans for me to go that day.
CletusBodeen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #15
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

Rolled my truck end-over-end going about 65-70. Came completely out of my seatbelt, which saved my life. My anvil came through the back glass, right through my headrest and through the top of the steering wheel, plowing a ditch through the hood after busting through windshield. When the truck stopped it was upside down and I was stuck in passenger's side floorboard. All I got was a broken nose.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #16
MUZZYSLINGR
Six Point

I was diagnosed with cancer and given approximately 2 weeks left to live. That was in 1991.
MUZZYSLINGR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
rjet
Pope & Young

Was working for UPS at the hub by Harry Hines in Dallas.
I broke the unload record that week so the supervisor bought us a case of beer on that Friday (memorial day weekend). I had a car and had 5 that rode with me to work so we used to go to a park across the street on Friday to have a beer and wait for others to get off work so I could take em home. A guy on my crew was sitting on the hood of his car when some dudes threw a beer bottle that missed him and broke his windshield. There was 4 of them and when he went over he asked for help and the idiot I was went with him. Well, this 4 turned into probably 14 (mexican motorcycle gang)as there were a bunch hiding out.
There were probably 30 or more UPS guys there, some were real tough from the way they talked in the break room. So as 3 (another guy helped that I did not know at that time) of us were trying to fight our way from 14 or so kicking our arse the break room tough guys were running away. Anyway, I took a 7 inch blade in the side while fighting 3 of them, punctured my colon.
I was supposed to go to Arkansas that night and after all was said and done still planned on going even though blood was pumping out of that wound like it was being pushed by a water pump, though it didnt hurt.
Police and paramedics came and made me go with them, dang good thing cause it wasnt long until my gut swelled up like crazy and all that poison got into my system and I was in real pain. Would have died for sure if I would not have went. One of the other 3 that helped got popped in the back with the same knife twice and we went to Dedman (great name for a hospital) in the same ambulance. All the medical staff was freakin out over him and not me, maybe cause he was whining quite a bit and though I was in pain didnt think it was a life or death situation. They asked us to pee in a cup and when the other dude couldnt they gave him a catheter, after hearing him hollering I made sure to pee in that cup which made the blood really flow from my side. My sweats were soaked in blood. Doc finally came in and looked at him (getting all the attention) and me and told all he was worried about me. I did not freak out till he grabbed one of those 6 inch q-tips and stuck it all the way inside my wound. At that point the blood loss was getting to me and was hard to stay awake but very peaceful. Doc told me to call my folks to say tell them what was going on and say goodbye just in case. My dad answered the phone and when I told him what happened he said 'g-dangit Richard, I told you would never live to see 21..talk to your mother'. LOL Next thing I knew I woke up with in unbelievable pain and my folks were there by my side. Had a morphine machine which was nice unless you push the button too many times which caused a backoff algorithm to take hold.
Anyway, that is my story. One thing for sure is I always thought getting stabbed would really hurt, I didnt feel a thing. Only way I knew was (after I broke the stabbers nose) I felt something running down my leg and thought I peed myself, reached down to feel it and it was thicker than pee..then it triggered in my mind what had just happened.
There was a time when I was going to kill that dude out of revenge.

But nowdays I think he might have saved my life.

Guy who saved my life (the doctor that is) is named Dr. Fox. If you are on here Dr. Fox get a hold of me, would love to buy you a beer and a giant steak.

Last edited by rjet; 02-15-2012 at 11:48 PM.
rjet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #18
crow
Six Point

Hunt In: Ozona

flipped a 1/4 mile drag boat over in Waco back in 96. running around 130mph hit a small gust of wind and it stood up and took off like a rocket about 60 foot up in the air. when the boat hit the water I was thrown thru the side of it. almost cut a leg off on the dash.
crow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #19
Jaspro
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Got hung up in a 110 current when I was 19 changing out a water pump fuse at my cousin's cotton gin. I was standing on a PVC pipe and had that not broke and my body pulled me out of it, I am not so sure I would be here right now.
When I was in 8th grade my dad was trying to change the belt on my mom's dryer. I was home from school sick that day and in my room watching tv. All of a sudden the tv and house lights got real dim and I heard my dad in the front of the house make a weird noise. I went to investigate and he was just laying there bouncing on the floor. Finally figured out what was going on and tripped the utility room breaker. He had gotten his metal watch band against the heating element on the dryer completing a current and he had 240 volts running through him. That really gave me an appreciation of electricity.

I have had a few close calls in vehicles and other than that I have been pretty lucky.
Jaspro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #20
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Dad let me start driving when I was young. I was driving us home from the lease when I was 13. He was dozing off, a dog ran out in front of me, I swerved into the path of a car. I can still see the faces of the man and woman with a little kid sitting between them. Dad rose up and jerked the wheel. Missed the car and rolled several times ( according to witnesses). Ended up on the roof, dad pinned under the steering wheel with broke neckand leg, I ended up outside somehow with broken ribs and cuts.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #21
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

I would bog down the server with all mine.

Here's one if you've got an hour....
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=206192

3 bouts with colon cancer....

Numerous close calls in the Marines and law enforcement.

Almost fell through a rusty well cover in Many, Louisiana when I was about 8 or 9. I was jumping up and down on it when it starting breaking through. Somebody knocked the hell out of me (grandma or mom/dad)
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #22
xman59
Pope & Young

30 years as a cop i had more than 1 close call.... car pusuit from beaumont to orange county then back into vidor, crossed s main and 105 on a light, only had time to say "o' God" because the light changed and two 18 wheelers were crossing from both sides and there was no way to stop at 122,, by some miracle both trucks stopped and nothing else tried to cross or turn... got back into beaumont and headed west on the service road,, with a big ridge in the middle,, the suspect went airborn came done on right side blowing both tires,, i was able to keep my car level and the officer behind me later told me he could see the roof of the suspects car under mine when i went airborne at about 80.... twice on one chase.....
another officer while flagging traffic was hit by an old woman on major drive,, he was barely able to call for help,, i started to him west on highway 90 ( college st) 7 lanes east and west,,at lindbergh it was 4 north and south,,, i was the closest car at about 5 miles,,, light changed again,, another "o' God" and the light changed green for me, blew through the intersection at 105mph.... that light change was not a lucky thing because every other car on the road was already in motion and all of the stopped, because of the way the light changed out of sequence and real quick
disturbance with a gun call, had a danged yankee rookie with me.... found the house and suspect, super drunk... he let us in to look for the gun,, this was a very very narrow shotgun shack, doorways were about 20" wide, narrowest doors i ever saw... rookie let the suspect enter the bedroom first, and then let him reach into a dresser drawer were he pulled the gun ( rg 22 revolver) pointed it straight at my chest and pulled the trigger, @#$%&^*( rookie never tried to stop him) and i was just tring to get into the room behind them, no time even for an "o' God" heard the hammer click as i am trying to reach through the doorway and grab the gun, didnt even have room to draw,,, drunk pulls the trigger the second time say "see i told you it quit working" stupid drunk thankfully had loaded the bullets in backwards, fireing pin was hitting the nose of the bullet!!!!!
rookie was taken into the station and given to the sgt,, he started looking for a new line of work two days later....

Last edited by xman59; 02-15-2012 at 11:57 PM.
xman59 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #23
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Flipped a 56 Buick 4 door end over end in Temple back in 68 or 69 late on Friday night and was thrown out of the vehicle into a front yard next to the yard the car landed in. Walked away without a scratch. Do not remember a thing from the time the rear end started going voer the front end and i was looking down at the dash until i was standing in the yard looking at the car upside down with the tires still spinning and paper and books going everywhere. The driver was thrown out too and the car landed on him from the waste up, all i could see was his legs. he was hurt, but also survived.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #24
TexMax
Pope & Young

I got two. Not sure how close to death i really was but i thought it at the time.

Fishing for crappie on toledo bend when i was about 17. Three of us in a flat bottom jon boat. Storm started rolling in and we started hammering the crappie. Could see all the other boats heading back but were hesitant to leave our spot as it was protected from the wind by an island. Stayed there for probably another hour when the wind shifted around a little and made it impossible to hold. Decided to run back to the ramp. When we rounded the corner from our spot we ran into a wall of 6+ foot waves. Was certain if we tried to turn around to wait it out on land we would have taken one over the side and been flipped. So we ran it. Took about every third wave over the front of the boat. Luckily about the only thing that worked appropriately on that vessel were the bilge pumps. They kept just enough water out to make it the few miles back to the ramp. Had several inches of water in the bottom when we pulled out. I'm not sure how we didn't sink.

The other happened a few months ago. Was driving down 35 about 10p.m. when a guy in an suv FLEW up behind me. He tried to pass in the middle lane but got stuck behind an 18 wheeler, which apparently made him very angry. His new goal it seemed was to try and run me off the road. After several near misses i dropped back as far as i could and put the hammer down. Acted like i was going to switch to the middle lane then swerved to the left and passed in the shoulder between him and the concrete barrier at about 120mph. Kept the pedal down until he was out of sight and had to exit and pull over to settle down.
TexMax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #25
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Almost got shot during a robbery. Refused to give up our stuff and took off. The bullet went through tailgate, across truck bed, through front of bed, through speakerbox, and stopped inside the seat. Bullet would have impacted 3/4 of the way up my spine. The second was getting hit head on by a drunk driver, he was going 70 i was going 60. It was a mess. Then another couple times i dont care to talk about.
Lungbustr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #26
MikeW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Any place I can

Surfing@13, fell and surf board hit me in the stomach. I remember gulping water everything going black and then waking up on the beach with lifeguards around me puking salt water. Spent 3 weeks in the hospital fighting a lung infection. Also was in a car when I was 17 doing(according to the police report)115+mph with 7 people in the car, driver lost control, flipped and rolled numerous times, 3 friends were killed. I walked away with a hole in my head where barb wire hit me.
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #27
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilco

Ruptured my spleen playing basketball. I woke up with my priest at my bed side. I couldn't figure out why he was there
txtimetravler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #28
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio

18 years old. I was walking to the blind and saw a deer. Started to shoot it, but at the last minute decided not to and put the gun back on my shoulder with the sling. As I was climbing up the tripod and slung the gun off to put it in the blind, the trigger got caught on my jacket and went off. 7mm mag, within a few inches of my head. I really have no idea how close the barrel was, but it scared the hell out of me..,still scares
The hell out of me. I think that is when the ringing in my ears started and Hasnt stopped since. Powerful reminder.
kyle1974 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #29
Stuck
Ten Point

Not sure how close I was to dying, but at the time I felt like it was over. We had been on fish pretty steady one summer in upper San Antonio bay and would would wade the shore line. There are lots of aligators by the refuge but have never had them bother us, when you got out of the boat they would always swim away and not want anything to do with you. Well one trip I drop my dad off and circle the boat down abou 1/2 mile trying to find the fish. As we set anchor I see the normal amount of gators but notice one rather large gator about 200 yrds. the direction I will be wading. Got about 100 yrds. from the boat in waist deep off colored water and had not seen the large gator and pretty much forgot about him. Well this guy comes popping up no more than ten yrds. in front of me, he had closed the distance and met me 1/2 way. I stood motionless while we looked at each other for about a minute and while I was scared then it did not come close to comparing to what I felt when he submerged and I could not see him. About 2 secondslater I was on a dead sprint back to the boat without a care in the world about stingrays. I assume he was just curious because if he would have wanted me there was nothing I was going to be able to do to stop it.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #30
Charlie6Delta
Ten Point

Hunt In: Behind my house

The shop I used to work in had a vertical end mill that we used as a drill press. We kept it in high gear so you could stop it easily. Someone had moved it to the low gear this day and I didn't know it. I started drilling a big round washer, holding on to it with vice grips. All of the sudden it caught, it twisted my wrist, and the knurled screws on the drill head caught my shirt. It picked me up and threw me between the head and neck of the machine with the drill in my arm pit. When I jumped out it had ripped my shirt, t-shirt, and overalls off on one side. My underarm had a huge raspberry where it ripped my clothes off and I had a big knot on the back of my head. One of my buddies was there as I came out and I told him "Didn't you hear me screaming, why didn't you turn it off!" He said "You never said a word and by the time I got here you were out of it." It seemed like I was hung up forever, actually only seconds. If I had been drilling a square piece of plate it would have cut me to shreds.

When I was in Saudi, we locked the key in our room at Khobar Towers. So I went down stairs and climbed out on the balcony and stood on another guys shoulders, reached up to the next ledge, climbed into our room and unlocked the door. We were several stories up. You are so stupid when you are young.
Charlie6Delta is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #31
CarbonFlinger
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, New Mexico, Miss. & Arkansas

Hooked my hand to my knee with triple treble hooks on the San Gabriel river on a canoe with no life vest and fell out of a canoe. There were cold beers involved and thank god my brother was near by in a jon boat and jumped in to pull me off the bottom of the river (2nd time he has saved me, the first was when I was 3-4yrs in Cali and I jumped in a pool unsupervised with one floatie on). Anyone that knows about the San Gaby prob will agree with me that its not the river you want this to happen. Lots of fallen trees/brush. All I remember is watching it get darker and darker as I sank deeper. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TO ALL, WEAR OR HAVE LIFE VESTS ON YOUR BOAT AT ALL TIMES ESPECIALLY IN A CANOE.

Also cost me $800 to have a doctor yank 2 hooks out of the joints in two of my finger nuckles in Taylor, TX when it was all said and done. NO HEALTH INS SUX!!!
CarbonFlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #32
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

VN in '71---bullet came through the chopper door, just missing my hand, passed about 2" in front of my nose and went out the roof.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 12:17 AM   #33
PremierGenetics
Four Point

Hunt In: Coleman County, Brazos County

Put the cruise control on 65 at around 1 am headed home from studying. Woke up in the ditch with the cruise still on about 20 yards from a very large gravel pile, giving me the split second I needed to jerk my steering wheel to the left. I still hit the pile but not head on, nearly totaled my pickup but it could have been a heck of a lot worse!
PremierGenetics is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #34
Ptedmonds3
Four Point

Hunt In: Ballinger, Tx

When I was a kid I was fishing on Lake Fork with my dad and a family friend. We were a long way away from the ramp when out of nowhere this front hit. There were five foot swells (well thats what my dad said, I was a kid) but we finally made it to the ramp when we took on water and sank the boat. We all got out safe though and the family friend recovered his skeeter bass boat.
Ptedmonds3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #35
NannySlayer
Ten Point

April 1st 2007 about 3:34PM. I was 18 years old.. In a very abusive relationship, for about 2 years. I was young, dumb, very gullible, and naive. I had recently learned that my boyfriend had began using drugs and I didn't take to well to that. Him and a friend wanted to go to a party and I disagreed. It lead to an argument.. After going back and forth, him slapping and pushing me some He walked into the bedroom, grabbed a .22 pistol, came back to the kitchen.. Pointed it at me and pulled the trigger. 1 round into my abdomen.. They hauled butt and I dropped to the ground. I called 911. PD, FD, and EMS showed up.. Transported me to the closest trauma center (MUSC) I went to surgery, I had 21 staples, was in ICU for 4 days.

Yes, he is in jail. No, I haven't talked to him since. Yes, I learned my lesson and found an amazing man that treats me right.

I am truly blessed and I like to think that my experience led me to my career in EMS. I met the FFs that responded to help me.. Joined the department. My chief talked me into EMT school and here I am today!
Attached Images

NannySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #36
RodinaRanč
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bastrop & Mason Cty

Last Sept., afternoon dove hunt. Tail end of the truck is facing the direction we expect the birds to come from. Cousin's on the tailgate & I'm on a bucket seat by the rear wheel of the truck. Lil time goes by & a few birds start flying. 1st good group comes by on my side of the truck from the direction we expected. Shooting starts, I'm still sitting on the bucket for the 1st shot. I'm left handed, so I couldn't swing on 'em far enough to the left, so I stood up to turn my body a lil to take the 2nd/3rd shots w/o thinking about my cousin on the tailgate. He had a bead on the birds & wasn't watching me & had no idea I had decided to stand up.

We're both grown men & both should've known better. Skinned by w/ ringing in my ears & a busted ear drum. I'm only here today b/c of the grace of the man upstairs.

Last edited by RodinaRanč; 02-16-2012 at 01:03 AM.
RodinaRanč is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #37
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Sadly , all my near death experiences involved drugs and alcohol when I was using between the ages of 15-19.

The one I remember most was almost over dosing on Soma.

I was 19 and attending LSU at the time. My friend Steve had a lifetime prescription for Soma-compound 350 mg (1/2 pain killer , 1/2 muscle relaxer). We were playing "quarters" and every time you bounced the quarter in the cup, the other person had to drink a cup of beer with a Soma in it.

I remember drinking 17 beers & 17 Somas while only quitting because we ran out of beer. I went to use the restroom and somehow had enough common sense to force myself to throw up. I truly believe God had something to do with me sticking my finger down my throat and purging all the drugs I had ingested. 9 times out 10 I would have laid down on the couch only to pass out. Throwing up saved my life otherwise I would have OD'd and been in the obituaries like several of my other friends who died from alcohol and drugs

By the grace of God , I went to treatment 6 months after this occurrence and have been sober since December 1987. I NEVER forget my past as it makes me a stronger person today

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 02-16-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 12:52 AM   #38
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

I have 3, 2 ended badly and the other could have.

The first was when I was about 13 years old I decided to go out and ride the 4 wheeler. I thought my dad had completely knocked down the borders in the field in front of our house. So I am hauling it full throttle across that field when I found where he had stopped the day before. I went air born rolling the 4 wheeler. All I remember is hitting the border and then waking up on my back with the 4 wheeler about 30 feet away on it tires. Scared the heck out of me started doing the wiggle your toes drill just to make sure my back was not broken. Thank the lord I was only 150 yards from the house. Longest walk ever. Ended up with my forehead one big scrape mark and my ever since then I have had back problems.

2nd experience was when I was 15. We were irrigating a field with the plastic irrigation tubes out of a concrete ditch. Well I picked up a pile that had been laying up next to the ditch over night. To move them down. Next thing I know I feel a sharp sting in my armpit look over and there is a black widow spider. Squish it and then the pain starts to slowly spread through my body until I am engulfed. Never did go to the doctor just took some miracle pill that my dad was given for his back after he was in a wreck. That stuff was awesome, went from searing pain to complete relaxation in right around 30 minutes.

3rd time was the past October. Went down to do some duck hunting and was headed into town, when some lunatic merges into my lane when it switched from 4 lanes to 2 lanes. Was on the phone with my mom and all she hears is "Holy Smokes" I flip the phone shut and have to bail off into the bar ditch and watch either a mentally challenged or high/drunk retard keep cruising down my lane for at least another 1/4 mile before violently jerking all the way over into her bar ditch and then swerve back over into my lane and finally straighten out. Scared both me and my brother. If I had not been paying attention it could have turned bad in a hurry with a direct head on at 75 miles per hour.
westtexducks is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #39
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Eeeek. Some scary stories.

It's 1989 and I'm headed down lake Travis at 65 mph in a bass boat. I had taken my shirt off to take in a few rays and laid it between my feet. At 65, the shirt blows up and out as I remove my hands from the steering wheel to try to catch it. Big mistake as this boat has no hydraulic steering. The boat banked so hard to the right, that I flew out behind the passengers seat. Wiped out the handrail and knocked the seat off the hinges on my way out. I hit the water so hard that all my clothes came off except shoes and socks. The boat locks in a hard right turn at about 25 mph and ran over me twice. The first time striking me perfectly between the eyes with the skeg. I had no life jacket on and I'll swear to this day that saved my life because when the boat ran over me, I was pushed under and not chopped up by the propeller. Luckily, each time the boat circled, it got further away. I was snatched from the 85' of water by a couple and their young daughter. Ruined their boat carpet with my bloody face and miscellaneous cuts and broken finger.
I took 38 stitches to the forehead, a broken finger and bruised lungs but was no worse for the wear.

I should have died that day!

Last edited by Fishndude; 02-16-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #40
The "Juan" 12
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stamford, Tx

Thanks be to the good Lord upstairs that all of you are alright!!!
The "Juan" 12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #41
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

Other than being born at 3 pounds 1 ounce, I narrowly missed a head-on with a Dodge dually hauling a loaded cattle trailer when I was 16.
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #42
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land

Cambodian Invasion 1970. Inserted into the Fishook with the 1st. Cav. We were pinned down for three days in a bad L shaped ambush. While retrieving an ammo drop I ended up being pinned down by a sniper while trying to hide behind a 6 inch tree for 7 hours. I cursed the Army for making the buttons on my fatigues so thick. I was like a gopher trying to burrow in the ground.

God must have let me live through that for a reason.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #43
Gonzo
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Jacinto County

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusBodeen View Post
At the age of 12 my appendix ruptured(didn't know this at the time). My dad kept thinking it was a bad stomach ache. Finally decided to take to the dr. They rushed me into surgery. It took 3 weeks to get up and walking. Gan green had just about eat me up from the inside out. Dr said if they had waited a few more hours they would have been putting me in the ground. Thank god it wasn't in his plans for me to go that day.
I had the same thing when I was 17. I tried to play mr. tough guy thinkin it was just Diarrhea but finally my dad called for an ambulance after I couldn't stop throwing up and almost past out from the bad pain. I spent the following 6 weeks in the hospital after two surgeries I was finally able to go home.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #44
TC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

October 5th, 2006. I was on my way to work traveling down Hwy. 67 into Stephenville. When I crossed the 4 way stop at hwy 281 I was hit by an 18 wheeler that ran the stop sign. He hit me at 55 MPH, I happened to turn to my left right as the hit the front of my truck so my face slammed into the window. Had I been just 1 second faster he would have T-Boned me in my driver side door and I would for sure be dead. Walked away with a broken nose and some bumps and bruises and an extreme fear of crossing 4 way stops.
Attached Images

TC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #45
texas_red_19
Eight Point

july 14th 2011, was laoding a fourwheeler in an enclosed trailer. i ahd already climbed in and empited it so i thought it was ok. well when i drive the fourwheeler in the hitch came off, causing the trailer to flip back and come down on my head. i thoght it just hit me hard till i heard the blood spilling outta my head. had to walk to the house get my wife to call an ambulance. er doctor told me it should have fractured my skill cause it did hit my skull. i lost two units of blood in less than an hour. so i should have beem dead. thank God he wasnt readyf or me. woke up the next day with two layers of stitches nuder my scalp and 44 staples across the top of my head.

may 2003, outside of baghdad iraq. we were in a traffic jam and i stepped outta the hummvee to **** in the wheel well. well i heard a crack and pop and a bullet hole appeared in the side of my humvee about 6 inches from my head. the nearest structure was about 700 yards away. so thank god then too. case the boy shooting wasnt far off lol
texas_red_19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #46
trad"Doc"53
Pope & Young

Hunt In: None at Present

Had a wreck in a company work truck. The GMC pick-ups that had the dual tanks that came up under the cab that had a bad habit of blowing when in an accident. This was back in 1982, was burned over 76% of my body surface with 93% of my burns past 3rd degree. Was knocked out on impact with telephone pole and was estimated to have been in the truck for approximately 5 minutes before coming to and realizing I was trapped and on fire. Was able to knock out the rest of the drivers window and crawl out. Spent 6 months in Parkland burn ward and had 2.5 years of reconstructive surgery and therapy. My parents were told from the get go that I would never survive and even if I should would never walk again. Well, I obviously beat all the odds, but lots of times I wish I hadn't. I haven't had a pain free day since the accident. On a good day it's about a 6 on a scale of 1-10, but 95% of the time it runs 8-9, 24hrs. The pain and a few other ingrediants led to another near death that I don't much talk about, but it's the reason I don't use pain killers any more, not that they helped to start with. Most of my teeth I have missing are from gritting them due to the pain until they fracture and have to be removed. They say everything is for a reason and I sure would like to know this one! God bless all of you that have had bad things to happen to you.
trad"Doc"53 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #47
bigmactog
Ten Point

Hunt In: America

There are some blessed people on here.......just sayin

coma in 07, o2 stats down to 40, when I woke up ev1 thought I had brain damage(some still do), was talking jibberish for a while. Best sleep I've ever had, not recommended.......
bigmactog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 05:24 AM   #48
Russ
Pope & Young

Wow, some of yalls stories are just down right scary!!! Some so bad they make me wanna cry. Man, I guess I am lucky. Had a lot of close calls but nothing near what some of yall have gone thru. Ghostwalker so sorry to hear bout your accident. All yall will be in my prayers that have had lasting effects from you accidents.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #49
Kodiakk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sabine and where ever else I can.

I don't know if I actually died or what, but they had to bring me back when I stopped breathing and my heart stopped due to pancreantitis when I was 18. I don't remember anything except sitting there one second and the next second (to me) I was waking up in a ICU a few days later.

There are many others, but that was the closest to death.
Kodiakk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #50
super_dave
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NW Smith County

It involved Jim Beam, 2 atv's, 6 people, and a dry creek bed in Coryell county!
super_dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top