Finally got him, big 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got him, big 6

I started watching this guy in 2017 season and he was a pretty big 6 point at that time. Next season I rattled him up and he came up ready to whoop the decoy and half his left side was broke off. Last season my truck was down and I missed all of bow season except the last weekend. He had been on camera pretty regular at a couple different spots and then vanished on the 27th of October and I didnt see and sign of him the rest of season. I he got shot by a road hunter or the neighbor's and was pretty bummed out because I've always wanted to shoot a big 6. Well this spring rolls around and I've got a big bodied deer on camera and the more he grew the bigger his frame got and i knew it was him! He lived at the cottonseed feeder all spring and summer. Come the end of September he switched up areas he had been hanging out but was super predictable at that spot. Come opening weekend I thought i had him patterned pretty good but anytime I hunted that stand he wouldn't show. I figured he was seeing me walking in from where I thought he was bedding. Before I left that weekend I moved my stand so I could hunt it without the wind being so particular and could sneak in a different way. The camera at that spot craped out right after we left and I had no idea what he was doing except when he visited my other set at night sometimes. I got off work this past Saturday night and saw my wind would be good for Sunday afternoon and then it was gonna switch after dark and be no good. Coming up on his anniversary of leaving last year I made a dash to the lease to hunt that afternoon. I walked way around and climbed a fence to come in a different way and got settled not expecting to see him until just before dark if I saw him at all. About 510 I heard a rock flip and looked up to see his rack coming in over a cedar. I wasn't ready at all! I grabbed my bow and flipped my release forward and clipped it to the d loop. As he was walking in to my shooting lane I noticed a small 8 about to walk right into my wind and was i was wide open to him. I know he is gonna smell me and blow it plus I'm having to watch him and the 6 to know when i can draw. About the time he is gonns be right downwind he turned and put his head behind a little cedar and the 6 barely turned his head to grab some corn and i drew back, anchored, and touched it off! The ramcat blew through him and stuck in the ground and i watched blood coming out as he ran past me. He made it 50 yards and piled up! Our game of cat and mouse was finally over. Almost bittersweet. He topped out the 160lb scales i had and his head and neck were still on the ground. Im putting him in the 190 to 200lb range and of course I was at the lease by myself and it took some redneck engineering to get that sucker loaded lmao! Sorry for the long read but this has been a long time coming and I can't wait to get him back from the taxidermist!

1st pic is when he first got on my radar in 2017

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Big ol 6 congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That is a big 6, for sure. Congrats!!!

Comment

Awesome job!

Comment

Congrats. That is an awesome 6

Comment

Great deer and great story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great 6. Congrats.

Comment

Love a big 6. Nice buck

Comment

Nice one, congrats

Comment

Love them big 6s congratulations!

Comment

Such a cool deer!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Awesome 6, I've got one that's been a 6 and looks extremely similar the last two years. not quite as big but who knows what he'll be next year!

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Great buck and good shot!
                              Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X