X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bino Question

So this is more of a poll. 10x vs 12x.
    Whats your vote and why?
    I've read that 12x is harder to steady unless you're on a bipod, & they can give you headaches.

And .....Go!

10 without a tripod and the older i get 8 is looking better

Comment

I prefer 10x over 12x, even when hunting big country out west.

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
        So this is more of a poll. 10x vs 12x.
        Whats your vote and why?
        I've read that 12x is harder to steady unless you're on a bipod, & they can give you headaches.

And .....Go!
        I've heard the same thing. I don't have a set of 12x but considering how much work I have to put in to keep 10x stable, depending on the situation, i could see where 12x would require a tripod.

Comment

Comment

8x hands down. Greater field of vision and brighter. 8x42 are my favorites.
            Adios,
            Gary

Comment

Got a pair of 10x42 for when I sit in bow blind and 12x50 for sitting box blind when I can see down long senderos.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                10 without a tripod and the older i get 8 is looking better
                I prefer 8x as well - too much shake for 10x. If you’re hunting out west then 10x might be ok.

The problem with too much magnification is the available exit pupil in low light. An 8x42 will have an exit pupil of 5.25 and allows a good deal of light transfer.

A 10x42 gets down to 4.2 and a 12x42 is a measly 3.5. These will be ok in the daylight but not so much in early or late light.
                Last edited by tpcollins; 11-29-2020, 07:07 AM.

Comment

I've got 12X and I really like them, but I don't hunt where I have to glass for hours on end, either.

Comment

10x. Both pairs I have are 10x42 and they do everything for me. From sitting in a pop up with my bow to sitting on a ridge glassing over vast country for several miles.

Comment

10x. I had 12x, and used them a handful of times. It ends up just being extra weight that's not particularly useful.

Comment

I dont think you can compare binocs by power alone. I say this cause I hunted antelope in new Mexico earlier this year. I had 10x50 vortex dbacks, guide had some 12x50 viper and two of the guys I hunted with had 8x42 and 10x50 swaros el. It was the same on spotters

Of course clarity was smoked by Swarovski but field of view wasnt much comparison either.

I'm perfectly happy with my vortex for 200 yards and less but I'd have to find away for swaro before my next hunt out west

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 10x42 and really like them as an all around Bino. But would like to get a pair of Mavin 18x56 with the doubler eye piece also. I can’t get used to a spotting scope and feel these may be the best alternative for long range ( tripod) glassing.

Comment

10X42 Burris

Had the salesman take out every pair they had and I looked through them all. Bought the ones that were the crispest for me...........

Comment

I have tried slc 10 X 50’s
                              el 10 X 42’s
                              el 12 X 50’s
                              All were Swarovski
                              The 12 X 50’s are hands down the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X