Viper HS 4-16x50 or Viper 6.5-20x50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viper HS 4-16x50 or Viper 6.5-20x50

I'm wanting a scope for my 7mag to be used for mule deer out west. Between these two, which would be better? From what I've read, Vortex and the Viper in particular, are about the best value in scopes today. But I've also heard the Viper gets a little fuzzy at higher magnification. Is that just to be expected from a scope with high magnification?

I wouldn’t consider mine fuzzy and have killed plenty of Animals out to 350ish with it on max zoom. Midway USA had the 6-24x50 on sale for $360ish I think but it went away. I just ordered the 6.5-20x44 for $299 couple days ago.

Comment

I have one in the classifieds for $375 includes shipping. Used for hunting season and comes with Butler Creek scopes covers. I did not see any fuzziness at high magnification. I have it mounted on a 7-08.
      Last edited by RF76; 02-18-2020, 01:28 AM.

Comment

I’d say go with the 4-16 since it’s a hunting rig. 16x is plenty to kill out to 1000 yards. 6x is way to much for a lot of people up close though! I personally don’t mind being in that 5-6x range for minimum but that’s a common complaint that I hear.

Comment

I’d go 4-16

Comment

Hunting rifle 4-16 for sure.

Comment

Is the HS supposed to be clearer glass?

Comment

I have the 4-16 x50 and killed two at distance of 250 and 350 yards this season and yes
                It does get fuzzy @ 16 . I love the scope actually have two of them but I would consider the
                6-24 next time

Comment

Originally posted by Vap View Post
                  I have the 4-16 x50 and killed two at distance of 250 and 350 yards this season and yes
                  It does get fuzzy @ 16 . I love the scope actually have two of them but I would consider the
                  6-24 next time
                  did you shoot the 350 yard deer on 16 power

Comment

Scope magnification range depends on how short/long your shots will typically be on the animals you hunt and the caliber you are shooting.
                    I have a Leupold 6.5-20 50mm on my 7mm RUM. But, I also live here in Wyoming where most of my hunts are in much more open country and the shots can easily be in the 500 yard range or maybe more.
                    When I lived in Texas and hunted down in Bee County, that same setup would have been overkill. My personal opinion is the 4.5-14 40mm is a great scope range and I have a number of them on other rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                      did you shoot the 350 yard deer on 16 power
                      Yes but it was a little bit lighter out and it was still good but comparing that to the last 15 minutes of day light is we're is starts getting fuzzy.

Comment

Vortex viper hs-lr 4-16x50. No problem shooting 500 yards and beyond for hunting. Have one on a weatherby 6.5-300 and it does perfect for me. I like the hs-lr better because the wind age turret is capped

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X