I almost forgot why I hate outserts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve been running the VAP TKOs for the last 2 years. Most of my practice is at 20 yards on a daily basis. For all those arrows I use glue in points. For tuning and sight tapes and such use cool melt on the taper lok outserts. I run both the 50 and 95 outserts depending on which BH is screwed on that arrow. This lets me shoot infinite practice arrows at my bag targets without worries and then use the outserts pretty much just when I need to screw a broadhead on. If I need to practice further than 20 I just set my sight a yard or two cold. Nice thing with the cool melt is it’s easy to switch outserts/points. I’ve had some outserts not spin, but sometimes I get lucky and heat up the outsert and spin it a few times and it will spin again. I haven’t had trouble with the outserts pulling off when practicing with broadheads yet. I do scuff the inside of the shaft, clean shaft and outsert first with acetone and then with alcohol and then install with the cool melt.

Comment

Good info. I've been thinking about going to micro diameter shafts, but concerned about the issues with outserts.

Comment

Well… after practicing, some of the half dozen of the 95gr have wobble.

Shooting a bigshot target in my backyard and the archery club has blob targets.

Everything spun perfect, 0 wobble prior to install.
        Even wound up getting Sevr field points just to make sure I didn’t have any field point wobble.

Used JB weld original for them. Let me set for 3 days prior to shooting just to confirm the epoxy had cured.

I’ll shoot through what I have but at this point I’m gonna just go back to .204 shafts. Likely RIP TKO’s. Will probably do iron will collars and hit inserts of some variation.

Comment

Yeah switched over to 5mm last year and especially in the hot summer the glue would let the inserts out in practice targets. Very frustrating. Curious about getting more info on the heavier outserts. any links?

Comment

The main two I know of are ethics and iron will. The iron will are hit inserts for .204s and the ethics are adjustable weight based off where you cut them. I never have looked into the Snyder core stuff for the micro shafts because I don’t wanna be married to the iron wills.

I heard that the podium guys are coming out with something new but haven’t seen much on it besides their micro outsert.

Comment

Working...
            X