Help Needed - Sight Adjusted Far Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Needed - Sight Adjusted Far Right

I am sighting in my new bow and have run into an issue. To get sighted in, it has required my sight to be adjusted to it's far right limit. I remember this was what it took on my last bow also. I am assuming that I am doing something wrong, that both of my bows have required my site to be at the outer limits of their horizontal range. This creates two problems. 1) I have no adjustment potential left. 2) It places the sight pins relatively close to the riser when looking through my peep. This is not optimal for target viewing. What could I be doing that has caused this on my both of my bows? A friend suggested I move my rest left. Any advice or thoughts to consider would be appreciated.

I assume the bow was tuned properly? Paper tuned by a shop or by you to shoot a perfect bullet hole? I would start here if not. A bow that is tuned correctly will way out shoot one that isn't. I've had marginally tuned bows done 'close enough' by one shop then another took the time to get it perfect and the accuracy difference was amazing. It could be cam lean, stretched strings, or something way out of whack. I would start here first since it's a relatively easy fix.

My second thought would be you could be gripping or torqueing the bow. I would explain the bow hand grip as almost having a 'dead hand' you want your hand completely relaxed while holding the bow and getting a push/pull with your arms when at full draw. If you're an experienced archer, maybe not.

Comment

Before I do anything I would first make sure everything is in spec.
      Without knowing the specifics of the bow, it could be any number if problems...

Comment

Out of tune or extreme form issue

Any chance of an eye dominate issue?

Comment

Since you said “close to riser” your right handed.

On all bows if you line the string at rest, down the center of nocked arrow: the pin will with be dead behind string OR most common to the left of string up to about an 1/8”

If right if string there is issues

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post

On all bows if you line the string at rest, down the center of nocked arrow: the pin will with be dead behind string OR most common to the left of string up to about an 1/8”

I am shooting right handed. Good question on the dominant eye! I have gone my whole life until now not knowing that my dominant eye is my left eye (just tested it for the first time)! What do I do now? Just shoot with my left eye closed?

Comment

Thanks. I will check this.

Comment

Originally posted by TexEnv View Post
                I assume the bow was tuned properly? Paper tuned by a shop or by you to shoot a perfect bullet hole? I would start here if not. A bow that is tuned correctly will way out shoot one that isn't. I've had marginally tuned bows done 'close enough' by one shop then another took the time to get it perfect and the accuracy difference was amazing. It could be cam lean, stretched strings, or something way out of whack. I would start here first since it's a relatively easy fix.

My second thought would be you could be gripping or torqueing the bow. I would explain the bow hand grip as almost having a 'dead hand' you want your hand completely relaxed while holding the bow and getting a push/pull with your arms when at full draw. If you're an experienced archer, maybe not.
                We did have trouble getting the bow tuned but did finally get there. Paper tuned to a bullet hole. I am pretty sure I am shooting with a "dead hand" but will double check this. Thanks.

Comment

You will 100% have to shoot with left eye closed or a patch. There is one major issue for sure!

Comment

You will 100% have to shoot with left eye closed or a patch. There is one major issue for sure!
                    Thank you. I bet this resolves my issue.

Comment

Word.
                      Learn to wink.
                      Im lefty but right eye dominant. I shoot LH and RH. Im not the only one. Two of my kiddos are opposite my dominances. Theyre not the only ones.

Maybe play with your anchors. Really you should have three anchors. Thats 3 variables to play with. One at a time.

Ive had similar problems and it was my grip. Consistently bad form.

Good skilling MrWhitetail.

Comment

I’m thinking this is an anchor issue as well ? Your line of sight and through your pee is just causing your POI to be extreme to one side, is my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitetail83 View Post
                          We did have trouble getting the bow tuned but did finally get there. Paper tuned to a bullet hole. I am pretty sure I am shooting with a "dead hand" but will double check this. Thanks.
                          Where did your rest end up?

Comment

Originally posted by Whitetail83 View Post
                            I am shooting right handed. Good question on the dominant eye! I have gone my whole life until now not knowing that my dominant eye is my left eye (just tested it for the first time)! What do I do now? Just shoot with my left eye closed?
                            My wife just found this out after purchasing a brand new right hand Mathews Prima. Just like you. The shop was nice enough to exchange everything over to a left hand bow. Its a learning curve but she was hitting 15 at 40 yrds in 1 hour time. She did have to drop from 45lbs to 35, but even that is coming back fast.

The techs say switch or you will never be great, you may just be good or give up all together.

Comment

Working...
                            X