X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tur€ in a punch bowl

Comment

Originally posted by Eastwood View Post
      I'm about as resistant to change as anyone you'll find, but remember many people fought to keep using whale oil and horses.
      With the range of that new f-150 and demand on the electric grid/failed charges a horse may actually be a better option.

Comment

No way in hell..... You'll have to add a day or two to your trips just for charging.

Maybe for your grocery getters or soccer mom taxi services..

Comment

Great deal if you want a toy to play with. If you want a real truk, don’t do it.

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
            Forgive my ignorance on how a Hybrid works.... but, are you saying the truck would have an internal combustion engine and an electric engine? Just, a much much more efficient system 10 years down the road from now after a lot more tweaking to the system? I like the sound of that better than electric only and very limited mileage.
            The place to look when you want to see where a car a person like myself can afford in 10 years is to look at what companies like McLaren, Porsche, Ferarri, etc... are building today. The tech they build today takes about 10-15 years to get into vehicles for the masses. In another couple years, we will start seeing this set up in Mercedes, and BMW. Then it's just a matter of time until everyone has it. I recall in 2002 a Mercedes with a back up camera. I don't remember if it was a concept or a real car. I thought that was crazy. 2016 I think backup cameras became required by law, and every car had them.

So what engine/motor tech are these companies cars running today? A gas engine attached to an electric generator/motor, and they are capable of running on electric only, or a combination of both. Think of locomotives. They use a giant diesel generator to power electric motors. That is what will come to trucks before long. And that is what I am waiting for.

100% electric is not the answer until battery tech improves massively. And we are 50 years out from any big improvements on battery technology.

Comment

I don’t know if I’d want to have one as my only vehicle but if it gains significant traction, I’ll sure look into what it would take to put in a public charging station. They will be more and more in demand.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                No way in hell..... You'll have to add a day or two to your trips just for charging.

Maybe for your grocery getters or soccer mom taxi services..
                Yah the range alone wouldn't allow it to be an option for me. I have 38 gallon tank on my truck now and get around 600 miles to a tank.... and still fill up twice a week! I put between 120-200 miles per day just daily driving so I wouldn't get far without a recharge. Come deer season it would be way worse. I could see it working for someone who had a 5 minute commute to work and pretty much stayed confined to a small core area.

Comment

Pass

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    The place to look when you want to see where a car a person like myself can afford in 10 years is to look at what companies like McLaren, Porsche, Ferarri, etc... are building today. The tech they build today takes about 10-15 years to get into vehicles for the masses. In another couple years, we will start seeing this set up in Mercedes, and BMW. Then it's just a matter of time until everyone has it. I recall in 2002 a Mercedes with a back up camera. I don't remember if it was a concept or a real car. I thought that was crazy. 2016 I think backup cameras became required by law, and every car had them.

So what engine/motor tech are these companies cars running today? A gas engine attached to an electric generator/motor, and they are capable of running on electric only, or a combination of both. Think of locomotives. They use a giant diesel generator to power electric motors. That is what will come to trucks before long. And that is what I am waiting for.

100% electric is not the answer until battery tech improves massively. And we are 50 years out from any big improvements on battery technology.
                    This makes much more sense than a straight battery powered truck. I would love an electric truck if it were bulletproof and easily, quickly charged on any street corner in Podunk USA, but it ain’t. It ain’t gonna be any time soon either. These other concerns are real too, battery life, what to do with them after they’ve lived their life, cost of replacement, and last, but not least, the scarcity of lithium (and where it’s located). The grid is also a big concern as others have noted. Ford has put the cart in front of the horse.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

Word!

Comment

Also consider that , according to Ford's own website, there are no charging stations west of San Antonio until you get to El Paso, Fort Stockton, or Alpine.

Comment

The auto makers are much more interested in Biden's 174 billion dollars of government subsidies that was in last relief package for electric vehicles.

Comment

How much are new batteries and how do you go about disposing the old worn out ones ?[/QUOTE]

This is the big question that no one ever really addresses, along with the charging. How long will the batteries last and what do we do with the mountain of them outside every large city in a few years?

I know they can be recycled, at least somewhat, but I think it is more expensive to recycle than to make new ones and not sure how many will be recycled.

Comment

So how much is my electric bill going up charging these things 12-14 hours a day?

Also, when we start shutting down coal / gas plants, how are we going to provide said electricity to charge them?

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                                Also consider that , according to Ford's own website, there are no charging stations west of San Antonio until you get to El Paso, Fort Stockton, or Alpine.
                                If things go the way of electric, this is going to be a gold mine the first couple years.

Comment

Working...
                                X