Ran the blockade and even killed a hog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ran the blockade and even killed a hog

Well, my son, dad and myself made a quick trip to San Saba to hunt some pigs. I know the timing was bad. We filled the feeders and planned for the hunt 3 weeks ago and decided to make the trip. It was very odd seeing so few cars on the road. San Saba looked like a ghost town.
    We had a good time, killed a couple pigs and I smoked this beast. It’s the biggest hog I have ever killed, and the whole scenario was a lucky accident. My son and I split up Saturday morning to hunt. About 8:30 I was going to pick him up and we were going to walk the river bottom to look for pigs. As I was cutting through the lease, I saw the top of the hogs back running through the field to my left, headed straight for the road. I stopped the truck, grabbed my AR and waited for him to cross the road. I shot him just as he crossed the road and was going into the next field. I wasn’t sure how much to lead him, so I made a guess and pulled the trigger. I shot and he kept running, I watched him go into the field, And I figured I had missed. He ran about 50 yards, and all I could see was the top of his back. Next thing I see was him flip over and his 4 legs sticking up in the air, like he just stopped and laid on him back. I couldn’t believe I had hit him!
    I went and got Connor to help me get him. I was shocked when we walked up on him and I saw how big he was, I have killed lots of pigs, but never a boar of this size. I hit hit him right behind the should, wish I could say that was right where I was aiming, but I ain’t gonna lie. My 64 grain Winchester Power Point did well.

Man did it suck dragging him out of the field, I don’t know what the guy has planted, but I couldn’t drive my truck through it. Took it back and weighed it, 245 lbs. I couldn’t believe how thick the shield was and how big the skull was. He will make a nice Euro mount. Wasn’t a bad trip, hope everyone stays safe and healthy.
    Attached Files

Wow those are some great cutters, congrats! Anyone else shoot anything?

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
      Pops comes along to drink beer and give free advice, Connor missed one last night andI killed one more. Would have been nice to get 1 or2 sows to throw on the pit. I didn’t get a chance to take my son deer hunting this season for different reasons, so we tried to squeeze this hunt in. Ain’t gonna lie, it was weird leaving to hunt with all this junk going on. But it was nice to be out hunting and tv/news free.

Comment

That is awesome! That's a big ol boy for sure. I bet the farmer would be happy as well.

Comment

Congrats! That shield is crazy.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
            I got this old dog on Friday. His teeth are dang near gone.Click image for larger version

Name:	510334EF-C5F9-46E9-BA0E-FA158BDDD3D4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	24612935

I just realized what you meant. That’s what I get for trying to post while feeding the baby haha
            Last edited by TX03RUBI; 03-29-2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Sweet, he’s a chunk.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter View Post
                Well, my son, dad and myself made a quick trip to San Saba to hunt some pigs. I know the timing was bad. We filled the feeders and planned for the hunt 3 weeks ago and decided to make the trip. It was very odd seeing so few cars on the road. San Saba looked like a ghost town.
                We had a good time, killed a couple pigs and I smoked this beast. It’s the biggest hog I have ever killed, and the whole scenario was a lucky accident. My son and I split up Saturday morning to hunt. About 8:30 I was going to pick him up and we were going to walk the river bottom to look for pigs. As I was cutting through the lease, I saw the top of the hogs back running through the field to my left, headed straight for the road. I stopped the truck, grabbed my AR and waited for him to cross the road. I shot him just as he crossed the road and was going into the next field. I wasn’t sure how much to lead him, so I made a guess and pulled the trigger. I shot and he kept running, I watched him go into the field, And I figured I had missed. He ran about 50 yards, and all I could see was the top of his back. Next thing I see was him flip over and his 4 legs sticking up in the air, like he just stopped and laid on him back. I couldn’t believe I had hit him!
                I went and got Connor to help me get him. I was shocked when we walked up on him and I saw how big he was, I have killed lots of pigs, but never a boar of this size. I hit hit him right behind the should, wish I could say that was right where I was aiming, but I ain’t gonna lie. My 64 grain Winchester Power Point did well.

Man did it suck dragging him out of the field, I don’t know what the guy has planted, but I couldn’t drive my truck through it. Took it back and weighed it, 245 lbs. I couldn’t believe how thick the shield was and how big the skull was. He will make a nice Euro mount. Wasn’t a bad trip, hope everyone stays safe and healthy.
                That’s a heck of boar. He’ll make a great skull mount.

Comment

Originally posted by crash8005 View Post
                  Congrats! That shield is crazy.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
                  Never seen one that thick, I dont see how an arrow would get very far through something that thick.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Good one! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                      X