Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-11-2020, 07:17 AM   #1
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County
Default Turkey Tour 2020

Turkey season may be a little different this year

About 2 weeks ago, Kayden came up to me and said that she wanted to kill a turkey this year. So we spent last weekend learning about gun safety and shooting the 20ga.

As a 4yr old, she showed lots of patience and all 5 shots would were dead turkeys! To say I'm super proud of her would be an understatement We still need to practice a little more, but I'm hoping she continues to show interest and, with some luck, she can get her first gobbler.

To throw another kink in the youth season, Logan (nephew) broke his arm last week. He's in a cast past his elbow but that shouldn't slow him down much. He took a few practice shots over the weekend and he did fine.

The kiddos are up first this weekend so hopefully we can get a few on the ground

As far as plans and where we'll be hunting....I'm pretty much playing this one by ear. I'm hoping to squeeze in a trip to Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Washington but that is all dependent on work (new business has kept me busy). Our trip to Florida was supposed to be this past weekend, but that was postponed to 2021
ClayW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2020, 07:20 AM   #2
ClayW
Pope & Young

Old 03-11-2020, 07:24 AM   #3
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho

Nice shootin, and good times
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2020, 07:33 AM   #4
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Good luck to the young ones.
Always in enjoy following JFTís Turkey Tour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2020, 07:42 AM   #5
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Turkey Tour 2020

No JFT in the title? WTH? I don't even know you anymore I guess we'll go back to calling you ClayW..

Sorry to say that there will be no stop on the hunter formally known as JFT's Turkey Tour at our place. Our numbers seem to be really low this year and his normal weekend to come falls on Easter weekend this year. Those Polish folks don't miss Easter Sunday potlucks.. Gonna miss that weekend hanging with Clay and PoPo but maybe next year. Hopefully the numbers things change over the next 3-4 weeks for us and the boyfriends migrate onto our properties. Hens have started showing up on the on the Coverts recently so maybe Tommy will follow suit. We'll still be trying to scrape a few out opening weekend for 3-4 days and probably the third weekend if we have birds on us. Who knows after that..... Good luck to everybody this season. We are going to need it I am afraid..

On a side note I did get a new DSD mating girlfriend for Tommy so he doesn't have to climb up on the back of my upright hen anymore.. She's hot and ready to roll. Ready to add her to the harem.

Last edited by Smart; 03-11-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2020, 07:56 AM   #6
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayW View Post

Good luck to Kaden and Logan this year......And PoPo if he ever gets a turn..
Old 03-11-2020, 09:22 AM   #7
ClayW
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Good luck to Kaden and Logan this year......And PoPo if he ever gets a turn..

PoPo is 4th in line!
Old 03-11-2020, 09:37 AM   #8
TwoHighways
Six Point

If you need help in NM (specifically unit 36 of the Lincoln National Forest), I can give you a few areas to try. It's a different ball game out there for sure. I'll be there April 19th-23rd.
TwoHighways is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #9
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

I've been waiting for this thread.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2020, 10:00 AM   #10
Aggie PhD
Ten Point

Hunt In: North of US90

Good luck Clay! My turkey hunting is on hold this year. Wife is on bed rest at the hospital until a scheduled c-section on 3/31. And then with a new born and c-section recovery for the wife I am not sure I will make it out this year.

Plus our turkey numbers were low last year, so it probably needs a year of rest......
Aggie PhD is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #11
ClayW
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie PhD View Post
Good luck Clay! My turkey hunting is on hold this year. Wife is on bed rest at the hospital until a scheduled c-section on 3/31. And then with a new born and c-section recovery for the wife I am not sure I will make it out this year.

Plus our turkey numbers were low last year, so it probably needs a year of rest......
Dang! I hope everything goes well for you guys
Old 03-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #12
ClayW
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHighways View Post
If you need help in NM (specifically unit 36 of the Lincoln National Forest), I can give you a few areas to try. It's a different ball game out there for sure. I'll be there April 19th-23rd.
PM sent...looks like we may be there during the same time
Old 03-11-2020, 10:21 AM   #13
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Well well.....look who finally showed up Yíall ainít getting as big of a jump on me this year by gosh!! Iím heading to Alabama on the 21st for the opener!!
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2020, 10:49 AM   #14
ClayW
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthrough View Post
Well well.....look who finally showed up Yíall ainít getting as big of a jump on me this year by gosh!! Iím heading to Alabama on the 21st for the opener!!

Been busy man!

Alabama?? What made you decide to go there? Public land?
Old 03-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #15
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Quote:
Been busy man!

Alabama?? What made you decide to go there? Public land?
Iíve always wanted to hunt Easterns in the ďreal southĒ! I guide with another guy that used to live and hunt in Alabama. He invited me to go, so I took him up on it
Old 03-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #16
Kenner97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County

Good luck to the kiddo's!!
Kenner97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #17
CTR0022
Ten Point

Nice. I'll be going to the texas panhandle opening weekend for rios and got drawn for hagerman for late April. I think that is all I will be able to get in this season.
CTR0022 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #18
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

4 Year old handling high brass 20ga is pretty impressive! Good luck to y'all!

We'll be out trying to get Snoop on 1 or 2 in between baseball.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2020, 01:13 PM   #19
ClayW
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
4 Year old handling high brass 20ga is pretty impressive! Good luck to y'all!

We'll be out trying to get Snoop on 1 or 2 in between baseball.
We're not shooting turkey loads yet! Believe it or not, dove load is perfect for the young guys. Less recoil and it throws about a basketball size pattern at 15 yards
Old 03-11-2020, 01:30 PM   #20
TwoHighways
Six Point

I’ve thought about picking up an over/under just to have two different loads to throw at a turkey depending on how far out it is.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:46 PM   #21
Passthrough
Pope & Young

I don’t usually stroke guys egos....but some of you true turkey hunters should check out world champion caller Dave Owens you tube channel called “The Pinhoti Project”. It’s some real good videos on turkey hunting. Pretty sure he has killed turkey in every state that has them. 90% of them in public land. And he shows the truth on what it takes to get it done... it ain’t always a classic hunt....but it’s always honest. Check him out!
Old 03-11-2020, 09:57 PM   #22
TwoHighways
Six Point

Quote:
I donít usually stroke guys egos....but some of you true turkey hunters should check out world champion caller Dave Owens you tube channel called ďThe Pinhoti ProjectĒ. Itís some real good videos on turkey hunting. Pretty sure he has killed turkey in every state that has them. 90% of them in public land. And he shows the truth on what it takes to get it done... it ainít always a classic hunt....but itís always honest. Check him out!
I tend to think that he overcalls at times, but then again, if I was as good of a caller as he was, Iíd probably call more too. Chubs is greatness!
Old 03-11-2020, 10:03 PM   #23
Aggiebush
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County and Draw Hunts

Let’s get this party started! Hope this kiddos make em flop, can’t beat it! Trying again this year for my son, may let him take the new 410 o/u he won at DU last week. Hope to have a trip to Ozona for a Rio, and I We’ll be chasing those dang Easterns as usual. Good luck to everyone who his season, hope a lot of long beards hit the dirt!
Aggiebush is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2020, 10:05 PM   #24
ClayW
Pope & Young

Making the list to make sure I don't forget anything tomorrow and its pretty funny to see stuff like "pink iPad, popcorn, breakfast bars, & pink ear muffs" on the list

Plan is to get Kayden from school tomorrow at 3:00, head to FC to grab Logan, and then be scouting/roosting turkeys tomorrow evening. My brother insists that he has a spot with lots of turkeys so we'll see. I'm giving myself plenty of time to scout to make sure. If scouting doesn't pan out, we'll go with Plan B which is my normal spots in Karnes County.

with some luck, hopefully we can get both Kayden and Logan on some birds!
Old 03-11-2020, 10:07 PM   #25
ClayW
Pope & Young

Quote:
I donít usually stroke guys egos....but some of you true turkey hunters should check out world champion caller Dave Owens you tube channel called ďThe Pinhoti ProjectĒ. Itís some real good videos on turkey hunting. Pretty sure he has killed turkey in every state that has them. 90% of them in public land. And he shows the truth on what it takes to get it done... it ainít always a classic hunt....but itís always honest. Check him out!
I've watched every episode

He's killed in all 49 states that have a huntable population
Old 03-11-2020, 10:14 PM   #26
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've watched every episode

He's killed in all 49 states that have a huntable population
Thatís what I thought! Dude is a machine! And I like the way he hunts. Iíve never thought he overcalls. But like was mentioned....if I sounded that good Iíd be calling that *** off....lol
Old 03-11-2020, 10:33 PM   #27
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
Iíve been watching these and that guy is legit.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2020, 03:02 AM   #28
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

This season looks pretty promising, been keeping tabs on them for a few weeks now. Some places they look a little ahead, others look a little behind. The more I watch them year round, the more I realize olí Tommy Longbeard never stops trying every chance he gets no matter the temp, moon phase, wind or precip. Hope all have a great season and success finds yall often!

Looks like jmalin has been ready for this thread, and has already made an informal appearance! Canít wait for the camera shy success stories......
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2020, 03:17 AM   #29
MASTERS
Ten Point

Decent amount of longbeards still cruising the feeders solo, and some chasing the ladies....
Old 03-12-2020, 05:31 AM   #30
Smart
Pope & Young

Default Turkey Tour 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERS View Post
Looks like jmalin has been ready for this thread, and has already made an informal appearance! Canít wait for the camera shy success stories......

. .... you noticed that too huh? Lmao at camera shy success stories.

Looking forward to it!...
Old 03-12-2020, 07:55 AM   #31
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Quote:
Ha! When will he be ousted this time?
Old 03-12-2020, 08:06 AM   #32
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

I have a hunt lined up for the first weekend of April. Last year was a bust for me so I'm ready. The ranch I'm hunting hasn't been hunted in two years so it should be great.
CabezaBlanca is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #33
ClayW
Pope & Young

Quote:
This season looks pretty promising, been keeping tabs on them for a few weeks now. Some places they look a little ahead, others look a little behind. The more I watch them year round, the more I realize olí Tommy Longbeard never stops trying every chance he gets no matter the temp, moon phase, wind or precip. Hope all have a great season and success finds yall often!

If I had to give a report on the birds, I'd say most are little behind schedule compared to the last several years. Most of our birds are still flocked up and only (I assume the most dominant) gobblers are trailing the hens.

I watched a group of 7 longboards last weekend and all they cared about was the corn under the feeders. No gobbling on the roost, no strutting, and paid zero attention to the 34 hens a few hundred yards away.

With that said, I expect the hunting to be awesome. As long as they stay flocked up, the easier they are to pattern
Old 03-12-2020, 09:30 AM   #34
Aggie PhD
Ten Point

Hunt In: North of US90

I know last year was rough on the number of birds we saw. How are numbers looking this year?
Aggie PhD is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2020, 10:02 AM   #35
MASTERS
Ten Point

Quote:
If I had to give a report on the birds, I'd say most are little behind schedule compared to the last several years. Most of our birds are still flocked up and only (I assume the most dominant) gobblers are trailing the hens.

I watched a group of 7 longboards last weekend and all they cared about was the corn under the feeders. No gobbling on the roost, no strutting, and paid zero attention to the 34 hens a few hundred yards away.

With that said, I expect the hunting to be awesome. As long as they stay flocked up, the easier they are to pattern

I agree, the subordinate longbeards are still grouped up and hungry while the more dominant gobblers are trailing the ladies....
Old 03-12-2020, 10:37 AM   #36
ClayW
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie PhD View Post
I know last year was rough on the number of birds we saw. How are numbers looking this year?
In Karnes and Wilson counties, the numbers seem to keep increasing. On our 70ac river place, there is a resident flock of 37 hens and 17 gobblers/jakes. You can drive a mile down the road and see the same numbers at our neighbors' fields and feeders.

I'm not complaining one bit but I think its a miracle the hens can hatch a nest with all of the varmints and hogs.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:55 PM   #37
MASTERS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
. .... you noticed that too huh? Lmao at camera shy success stories.

Looking forward to it!...
Good luck kill 'em dead!
Old 03-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #38
MASTERS
Ten Point

Quote:
Ha! When will he be ousted this time?
It'll take some time, but he'll post that snaggletooth grin sooner than later and get axed. He does it every year....

If not he'll just post 3 page success stories with no photo evidence of said success....
Old 03-12-2020, 05:15 PM   #39
ClayW
Pope & Young

Yee yee
Old 03-12-2020, 05:25 PM   #40
Smart
Pope & Young

Glad to see that the governor let the artist formally known as JFTís road show go on despite the coronavirus threats.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:34 AM   #41
ClayW
Pope & Young

Wind was blowing 40mph yesterday evening so no birds were roosted.

Weíre just goin to hunt the spots in Karnes as I think itíll give the kiddos the best chance. Iím here now at our river place and the birds are gobbling like crazy.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:21 AM   #42
ClayW
Pope & Young

Like clockwork

Hopefully they show up tomorrow morning
Old 03-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #43
ClayW
Pope & Young

Man tomorrow should be good

Several of our spots are loaded and now we just have to decide how and where to hunt
Old 03-13-2020, 06:56 PM   #44
Chad C
Pope & Young

Nearly ran over three hens today rolling into downtown Fort Worth off 35 at the 4th/6th street exit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2020, 09:10 PM   #45
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

So yíall are using dove loads? What choke?
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #46
James
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb County, Kansas, Out West

I’m bowhunting them suckers this year. Let’s get it on!
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2020, 06:01 AM   #47
ClayW
Pope & Young

Weíre up and Kayden is pumped up! Pretty cool to see her so excited.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:02 AM   #48
ClayW
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
So yíall are using dove loads? What choke?

I normally use an Indian Creek but itís a little too tight.

The Primos Jellyhead is the choke I use for the 7 1/2 shot
Old 03-14-2020, 06:03 AM   #49
ClayW
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Iím bowhunting them suckers this year. Letís get it on!

Prove it
Old 03-14-2020, 06:25 AM   #50
ClayW
Pope & Young