Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sons of the Republic

Any members on here?
    Last edited by eastxhunter; 04-22-2019, 10:46 AM.

Reporting in sir.

Comment

My wife is a Daughter of the Republic.

Comment

Yes sir, I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Tracker View Post
          My wife is a Daughter of the Republic.
          Have a friend who is DR. She travels a lot attending shows.

Comment

I hope this doesn’t come off the wrong way but besides being an honerable member what do you get for joining and paying dues ? Do you get a certificate that says you’re bonafied? Bonafied hat?

I see they send out a publication - they have community service activities and chapter dinners etc or whatever?

Comment

In for info. My mother joined DAR at one point years ago so I supposed I could qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                I hope this doesn’t come off the wrong way but besides being an honerable member what do you get for joining and paying dues ? Do you get a certificate that says you’re bonafied? Bonafied hat?

I see they send out a publication - they have community service activities and chapter dinners etc or whatever?
                If this is the same group I'm thinking about, they do some bold stuff. I like em .
                Send your SS card back to the government, send your driver license back to the state, dont have to deal with common LEO, etc..
                I dated a girl, who's dad was hardcore into it. He's a bigwig at Peterbuilt and caught alot of flack over the tax thing.
                I went to a few meetings, but never jumped in.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                  If this is the same group I'm thinking about, they do some bold stuff. I like em .
                  Send your SS card back to the government, send your driver license back to the state, dont have to deal with common LEO, etc..
                  I dated a girl, who's dad was hardcore into it. He's a bigwig at Peterbuilt and caught alot of flack over the tax thing.

I don't know about anything like that. Our chapter is focused primarily in the protection of the Alamo and it's legacy thru educational means. Our chapter meetings seem to reinforce the sacrifice of the Alamo warriors and to supporting elements of the battle of the Texas Independence. Lots of stuff our today's Texas History classes do not support nor will acknowledge. There are also charities and scholarships funded thru various chapters.

I hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Raleigh View Post
                    I don't know about anything like that. Our chapter is focused primarily in the protection of the Alamo and it's legacy thru educational means. Our chapter meetings seem to reinforce the sacrifice of the Alamo warriors and to supporting elements of the battle of the Texas Independence. Lots of stuff our today's Texas History classes do not support nor will acknowledge. There are also charities and scholarships funded thru various chapters.

I hope that helps.
                    I'm thinking of something else. I'll get the name of the group and post it.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                      joining and paying dues ? Do you get a certificate that says you’re bonafied? Bonafied hat?
                      Sure do. You can get windbreakers, medals, caps, shirts etc. There is also a facebook group. And the Texian publication.

The Houston (San Jac) chapter has monthly meetings at Post Oak Grill with a speaker, that are worth going to.

Candidly it is more of Historian, recreate battles, celebrate TX Independence Day, older group of people. You are pretty correct with your assessment. I used to go to the monthly meetings when I worked closer to the lunch spot

But to answer you question. Dues are $44/year and I want to say the group does good work for TX and its History. The Sons and Daughters did a lot with the Alamo and its records for example. They also helped me research my family history and assisted with the application.
                      Last edited by batmaninja; 04-22-2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking of something else. I'll get the name of the group and post it.
                        You may be thinking of the John Birch Society.

Comment

I would be a member if I applied. I had no idea about organizations like this. I had a family member fight alongside Sam Houston and helped capture Santa Anna

Comment

You are thinking of the Republic of Texas group.

Last edited by Burnadell; 04-22-2019, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by austinRecurve View Post
                              You may be thinking of the John Birch Society.
                              Sounds like The Republic of Texas bunch. The ones that had the "standoff" with LEOs at Ft. Davis. While the LEOs were at the gate to the ranch the R of T guys went out the back door and over the hill !

Comment

Working...
                              X