Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 03-28-2020, 09:25 AM   #1
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX
Default 9mm bullet for personal protection ...

Ok, finally have reloading dies and brass for the 9mm.

What brand and bullet type/weight do y'all prefer for defense bullets, reloading-wise? I'm looking at the Speer Gold-Dot now but are there equivalent or better ones?

thx
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #2
xman59
Pope & Young

that is a good choice,, also the hornady xtp and if you can find them the winchester silvertip,, an older one for sure but still one of the best
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #3
MillsJake
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County, Kimble County

Ive never reloaded 9mm but ive always shot Corbon DPX before they sold to a new owner and now i shoot Gorilla ammo 115gr defense rounds
MillsJake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2020, 09:38 AM   #4
WTucker
Ten Point

Gold Dots, but they’re pretty much non-existent right now.
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke

speer gold dot and winchester ranger
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2020, 09:49 AM   #6
BuckRage
Ten Point

I use PDX
BuckRage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #7
duckhunter175
Six Point

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...tic-tests/#9mm

Here is all you need to know...

Federal HST, Speer 115gr/124gr Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger
duckhunter175 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #8
WTucker
Ten Point

The HST are great bullets and that is the ammo I carry in my handguns. I have never seen them available as components though.
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2020, 11:31 AM   #9
Clay C
Ten Point

I use Gold Dot and HST. Both are about as good as you are going to get.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2020, 11:52 AM   #10
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Gold Dot, HST and Ranger T if you can find them.

HST can’t be bought new that I am aware of but there are places that sell pulled bullets that have them.

In my experience the XTP bullets need to be driven at higher velocity to perform well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2020, 11:59 AM   #11
Rango
Four Point

I reload lots, have a Dillon 1050 and 650.
You said for "self defence". For LOTS of reasons I would not use reloads for self defence.
I often load something that feels "similar" but why use expensive projectiles for practice?
Just a thought...
Stay Safe
Rango is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2020, 12:02 PM   #12
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
For LOTS of reasons I would not use reloads for self defence.
Don't leave us hanging. I always carry reloads for self defense. Nothing like having something crafted by my own hands and knowing it's going to work.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2020, 12:37 PM   #13
softpoint
Eight Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Don't leave us hanging. I always carry reloads for self defense. Nothing like having something crafted by my own hands and knowing it's going to work.
One so called "expert" penned an article in a shooting magazine years ago that claimed a lawyer might find a way to hold a person accountable for using handloaded ammunition in a defense situation. It is utter bull crap. If the shooting is justified, it's justified. If it's not, then it's not, no matter what you use. Having said that, I certainly wouldn't use just any of my redneck buddies reloads for self defense..lol..But my own, I'm comfortable with that. And about the bullets, just about any expanding bullet is fine. Of course, all makers will assure you theirs is best, lol. The goal is to put it in the right place..
softpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #14
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Quote:
Maybe it could be construed as pre-meditated if you make your own to shoot people. Better to purchase from a company who manufactures defense rounds.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #15
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
Maybe it could be construed as pre-meditated if you make your own to shoot people. Better to purchase from a company who manufactures defense rounds.
Maybe Santa Claus is real. Got any court cases to back up that claim?
Old 03-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #16
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by softpoint View Post
One so called "expert" penned an article in a shooting magazine years ago that claimed a lawyer might find a way to hold a person accountable for using handloaded ammunition in a defense situation.
I remember reading that. It was Massad Ayoob. IIRC he happened to be a distributor for Corbon ammunition. Looks like he was trying to increase sales. Kinda like the shampoo salesman that started the scam that you have to wash your hair twice. Doubled the sales of shampoo and some people still believe that bs.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:33 PM   #17
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
You said for "self defence". For LOTS of reasons I would not use reloads for self defence.
I often load something that feels "similar" but why use expensive projectiles for practice?
Just a thought...
Stay Safe
One reason I can think of and the main reason is to make sure they'll actually function in a weapon you're depending on to defend your life.

For example my grandpa got some Magtech bullets that were designed for self defense. He test fired one magazine to see how they ran in his gun and every other one jammed in that particular gun. If he'd have loaded up a magazine and carried that pistol and something had happened to where he had to use it in defense of his life or the lives of others he would not have won that fight.

Always run some expensive rounds through your carry gun to see if they'll function in that gun. They may be expensive but a lot less valuable than your life.

Last edited by okrattler; 03-28-2020 at 02:36 PM.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2020, 05:53 PM   #18
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Quote:
Just a thought...
Stay Safe
I've reloaded a long time and I could think of a LOT of reasons TO USE reloads. Have had failures with factory stuff, can't remember hardly any in my reloads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
Oh well, so going to a store and mulling over various brands of defense ammo or spending hours online to pick some is not pre-meditated though?
LOL . I'll take my chances, if needed.

Would be nice if people stuck with the original question/subject.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:36 PM   #19
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

lol

this thread took the exact route I figured when reading the OP.

Keep it up TBH. I'm highly bored with way too many hours inside these days!!
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2020, 10:46 PM   #20
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

When i load for my 1911, that i sometimes carry, every single round get
'plunk tested". I load XTP bullets and have fired several hundred of these through my pistol, with no issues.

Most "concealed carry experts" recommend you dont carry a particular round in your gun until you have ran 200 of that round through your pistol without any failures to cycle and fire. Kinda pricey with self defense ammo.
When i carry my G22 .40 caliber, i carry factory, because i am not set up to load it yet. That may change in the near future. My procedures above will not change for the G22.

Oh, i dont believe any case has came up to date, where reloads had any bearing on the case.
They could say you bought that specific ammo to kill, just like if you loaded it. The proper response, is i bought what the police use.

Last edited by double bogey; 03-28-2020 at 10:48 PM.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #21
lbbf
Ten Point

2 years ago I had the opportunity to talk to Michele Byington, on the authors of Texas Gun Law: Armed And Educated. I asked her about whether or not reloading could be used against you in court. Her reply was that she didn't know of any cases where it had been used, BUT she also said if she was the prosecutor and felt the jury would respond to this she wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use it to her advantage.
lbbf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 11:42 AM   #22
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbbf View Post
2 years ago I had the opportunity to talk to Michele Byington, on the authors of Texas Gun Law: Armed And Educated. I asked her about whether or not reloading could be used against you in court. Her reply was that she didn't know of any cases where it had been used, BUT she also said if she was the prosecutor and felt the jury would respond to this she wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use it to her advantage.

While I don’t think that would
go anywhere, I do think it is likely wise to use bullets considered to be in common use and even better if you use bullets that are used by law enforcement and avoid and of the boutique bullets like RIP and the like. I don’t see how any valid argument could be presented against you by using the same bullets used by LE.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #23
Raider4044
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
While I don’t think that would
go anywhere, I do think it is likely wise to use bullets considered to be in common use and even better if you use bullets that are used by law enforcement and avoid and of the boutique bullets like RIP and the like. I don’t see how any valid argument could be presented against you by using the same bullets used by LE.

I agree 100%. The likelihood of something happening with it is very small, but Speer GD’s, Federal HST’s, and a few others have been through tons of ballistic and reliability testing and even been used in numerous shootings, so I don’t see any reason to take your chances on using your own reloads. As Mike D stated, it would be much easier to explain why you decided to use a round that is used by countless LEO’s across the country than it would be had you used a bullet that you put together in your garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raider4044 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 03:06 PM   #24
TacticalCowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Any hollow points from a reputable manufacturer will be just fine.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 06:32 PM   #25
double bogey
Ten Point

A question for our law enforcement officers here. When you inventory and catalog a firearm used in a shooting. What are the procedures you go through.
The reason i ask, is i read a post on a forum somewhere, i dont believe it was this one, where an investigator stated he noted on the rounds that would be left in the firearm, the brand stamped on the brass, and the type of bullet the remaining rounds contained, and that was all.
And then, i have read Massad's opinion that even though they may have some remaining reloads in a gun, they wouldnt quantify the loads like they would factory rounds, and could use that against you, even though they cannot know the composition of the round/s you fired. Now, he is an expert, and his advice for the most part should be trusted, i will still carry my reloads sometimes.
I agree, if it comes down to it, good shoot or not and you end up in court against a bad DA, you need as much on your side as possible.

Bottom line, don't shoot someone unless you really have to. Even if you are right, it can cost you everything you own, and possibly your freedom.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:46 PM   #26
xman59
Pope & Young

i was an leo for 30 years, i spent 10 years while there doing security work in a billion dollar law firm,,,, i got to be friends with a couple of the lawyers,,, and spent a lot of time talking to them about such things....

a good lawyer will make an issue of hand loaded ammo, and his most likely direction will to be paint you as a wacko who made his own ammo for the soul purpose of killing people,,, because if you were not wacked out you would have just bought any of the normal stuff that leo's and the fbi use,, but you wanted yours to be deadlier than what could be bought off the shelf...

it does not mean they will win, but it does mean you must now defend and explain under pressure why you could not use store bought ammo... remember you do not have to be intelligent or a 2nd amendment supporter to sit on a jury,,, and if you are pro 2nd, your chances of sitting on a jury in a gun case is very thin......so your chances of getting anyone who is pro gun on your jury is about nill... much less getting people who can reasonably think and reason for themselves

everyone is going to do what they want anyway,, but no way on earth i would want to be put on trial and have to defend myself because of hand loads, especially since factory ammo is so good now and they choices are wide,,, and those 30 years as an leo give me a big advantage over most of you in courtroom testimony because i have been there and done that many times,, so please use common sense and buy something off the shelf or even off the internet buy a manufacturer, not a reloader ,,, but in the end it is everyone's choice i know what can happen and i carry factory ammo,( and i have been reloading for almost 40 years now),, it is one less thing to give to the haters on the other side

and none of this even has to do with defending a justified shooting or not,,

Last edited by xman59; 03-29-2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:23 AM   #27
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking….Pow Pow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbbf View Post

Last edited by Traildust; 03-30-2020 at 06:26 AM.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #28
M16
Pope & Young

How are they going to know if it is reloaded ammunition? I certainly wouldn't volunteer that information. I don't remember where I got that ammo.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #29
J-Carp
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman59 View Post
i was an leo for 30 years, i spent 10 years while there doing security work in a billion dollar law firm,,,, i got to be friends with a couple of the lawyers,,, and spent a lot of time talking to them about such things....

a good lawyer will make an issue of hand loaded ammo, and his most likely direction will to be paint you as a wacko who made his own ammo for the soul purpose of killing people,,, because if you were not wacked out you would have just bought any of the normal stuff that leo's and the fbi use,, but you wanted yours to be deadlier than what could be bought off the shelf...

it does not mean they will win, but it does mean you must now defend and explain under pressure why you could not use store bought ammo... remember you do not have to be intelligent or a 2nd amendment supporter to sit on a jury,,, and if you are pro 2nd, your chances of sitting on a jury in a gun case is very thin......so your chances of getting anyone who is pro gun on your jury is about nill... much less getting people who can reasonably think and reason for themselves

everyone is going to do what they want anyway,, but no way on earth i would want to be put on trial and have to defend myself because of hand loads, especially since factory ammo is so good now and they choices are wide,,, and those 30 years as an leo give me a big advantage over most of you in courtroom testimony because i have been there and done that many times,, so please use common sense and buy something off the shelf or even off the internet buy a manufacturer, not a reloader ,,, but in the end it is everyone's choice i know what can happen and i carry factory ammo,( and i have been reloading for almost 40 years now),, it is one less thing to give to the haters on the other side

As wacky as it sounds he makes valid points here. And it is for those same reasons that MOST LE agencies don’t allow officers to change out any factory internals in their weapons. An example would be triggers...some new officers want a bad *** competition trigger to be faster or better in their minds. Point being not only are you changing your well proven pistols internals a good lawyer will make it look like you wanted to be able to kill faster or whatever non sense.
J-Carp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #30
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
How are they going to know if it is reloaded ammunition? I certainly wouldn't volunteer that information. I don't remember where I got that ammo.

Same here. I go back to if it’s justified shooting per TPC, it will never elven make it to a trial by jury. It will be no billed by the grand jury.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:35 AM   #31
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckhunter175 View Post

thanks for the link, very interesting.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #32
TacticalCowboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
“I was going hog hunting and happened to get attacked at the gas station.”

Give it a break. “Why did you shoot the guy with a pistol and not pepper spray, you cold blooded killer?” Would be a lot more reasonable question than “why do you reload you own ammunition?”

And for that matter, why do y’all carry hollow point ammo if you’re so worried about a trial? The military uses 9mm FMJ and it works for them.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:07 AM   #33
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
The military uses 9mm FMJ and it works for them.
So they say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 11:15 AM   #34
ken800
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckhunter175 View Post

Federal HST is the winner in most "shootouts". There as a good video on youtube comparing a BUNCH of 9MM and this one won hands down. That said, I reload, too, and I wouldn't use my own reloads, no matter how careful, for self defense. I don't care how good you are are in your processes.
ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 11:27 AM   #35
JakeGraves
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bronte, TX

I like the Barnes TAC-XPD the best
Federal HST in close second
Speer Gold Dots third
Hornady TAP's are good too
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #36
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Same here. I go back to if it’s justified shooting per TPC, it will never elven make it to a trial by jury. It will be no billed by the grand jury.

not in a liability style suit,,, no requirements needed accept accepted by the court for a law suit and they are very liberal when accepting suits
Old 03-30-2020, 12:08 PM   #37
double bogey
Ten Point

Why did you use reloaded ammunition?
Well, factory self defense ammo cost a dollar a bullet. I can reload for 25 or 30 cents a bullet, and i am on social security.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:55 PM   #38
TacticalCowboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken800 View Post
Federal HST is the winner in most "shootouts". There as a good video on youtube comparing a BUNCH of 9MM and this one won hands down. That said, I reload, too, and I wouldn't use my own reloads, no matter how careful, for self defense. I don't care how good you are are in your processes.
Yeah, cause factory ammo has never failed.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:12 PM   #39
Randell
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos county

Speer is junk, did the FBI test and it failed miserably. Federal HST or Critical Duty.
Randell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 01:14 PM   #40
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bryan Co. OK

Gold dot, HST, and Rangers. Probably already said above. There's a book called "street stoppers". Its a collection of data from almost every reported shooting in the U.S. from years past. .357 magnum was claimed to be the best pistol caliber. HST, COR bon, Gold dot, and Rangers (black tallon) were rated among the highest for performance out of all pistol calibers.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #41
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bryan Co. OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randell View Post
Speer is junk, did the FBI test and it failed miserably. Federal HST or Critical Duty.
You're very wrong. The FBI selected the Speer Gold dot 147 grain when they first switched back to 9mm a few years ago. They did extensive testing and selected the caliber and the load. Speer created the "g2" line of ammo specifically for the FBI.

The FBI changes their ammo preference all the time. They have now officially switched to Hornady critical duty. The speer did not "fail".They awarded them the contract for a while before they switched because they felt the critical duty fit them "better".
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2020, 09:09 PM   #42
Rango
Four Point

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman59 View Post

What xman59 said...
(xman59- you have 5 years on me. I'm only at 25 LE/Military Small arms instructor, LE Range Master, LE SMG Instructor, IPSC when I'm not "working". But what do I know... LOL!!! ;-)
Rango is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2020, 09:33 PM   #43
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Quote:
Yep. I load all of my own center fire ammo, have not bought any center fire ammo, in a very long time.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2020, 11:37 PM   #44
TacticalCowboy
Pope & Young

Still waiting on those cases where the defendant lost due to reloaded ammo.....
Old 04-01-2020, 06:57 AM   #45
sunsethunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sunset

I carry Hornady Critical Defense in my EDC 9mm
sunsethunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2020, 08:54 AM   #46
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

The only pistol ammo I reload for is my 357 Magnum. I have a little bit different take on reloading for personal defense. For my wife's 9mm, I bought one box of 2 rounds that is for personal defense. For my 45 I have the same thing.
Then, for practice we shoot the heck out of the cheaper range ammo. I guess my take on it is why shoot 100's of rounds at paper with more expensive personal defense ammo?
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2020, 09:55 AM   #47
TacticalCowboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBull View Post
The only pistol ammo I reload for is my 357 Magnum. I have a little bit different take on reloading for personal defense. For my wife's 9mm, I bought one box of 2 rounds that is for personal defense. For my 45 I have the same thing.
Then, for practice we shoot the heck out of the cheaper range ammo. I guess my take on it is why shoot 100's of rounds at paper with more expensive personal defense ammo?
To make sure it works.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #48
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBull View Post
A lot of handguns can be finicky depending on the load, bullet shape and length. It's a good idea to shoot your defensive ammo at least enough to make sure it works. I usually mix in a few mags of HST or Gold Dot anytime I shoot.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2020, 01:09 PM   #49
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
To make sure it works.
yep !
Old 04-09-2020, 01:16 PM   #50
tdwinklr
Ten Point

found some Gold Dots in-stock, directly from Speer. Got 'em today! Ready to load and shoot a few.
Also ordered some of the hornady XTPs, mainly because thats all the other supplier had in stock but I should be good now.