No announcement yet.

Turkey Tour 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slept in this morning. Gonna give it an afternoon sit. See what happens.

Comment

Birds are simply late this year, at least in the hill country.

Comment

Heard 6-7 different birds today. Thought I had one killed...heard him fly the fence 75 yards away and he never showed. Got him fired up a couple hours later and he was heading my way pretty hot and someone drove by him on the 4 wheeler and he shut up for good.

I guess the good news is I should have plenty of time to try to get one killed with this world standstill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
          Birds are simply late this year, at least in the hill country.

They were hot near me last week. At a traditional roost though. Noticed the rains moved em around last week too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So I finally pulled the fan feathers of a bird from last year. Have wanted to make a folding fan for a decoy. None of my cheap, foldable decoys take a fan though so was thinking about just doing a fan on a rotating stick. Have seen em on some shows, but not alot online... any of y'all give just a rotatable fan a try with success?

Comment

I keep a real fan in my truck when I am hunting. It is “dried” and set in place,so it’s not really foldable. I have used it by itself many times. And have fanned in several. I usually just hold it in my hand. Once they have committed and get in range,it’s too late for them to figure it out. You could mount one on some sort of stick though. Or a clip even,to attach to a limb or something. Good luck!

Comment

It’s been a long time since I’ve gotten whipped this bad

Headin back to NB empty handed

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post

Have you considered busting out the scatter gun and hunting the woods/bottoms over field edges?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    PoPo bringing the pain! Saaaan of a beech! Congrats you ol fart![emoji41]

[ATTACH]997423[/ATTACH]
                    I love the leafy suit over blue jeans. I realize y'all are hunting out of popups, but i laughed a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                      I love the leafy suit over blue jeans. I realize y'all are hunting out of popups, but i laughed a bit.

PoPo is cool enough to pull that off...

Clay hasn't given the story on that hunt one yet (I know shocked) so I can't speak for this particular hunt. But when they have hunted at our place they do both popups and our natural blinds......and its not odd for them to leave the popup to try to go cutoff a bird. I know Popo has a full leaf suit, pants included, because I have dropped him off in an oak mott in it. He probably shed them to go walk through mesquite and huisache to get his bird. Always be prepared I guess....

If Clay is wearing a leafy top, I'm going to assume they had a plan whether it be A, B or C to hunt on the ground at sometime that day. Post 167 shows him sitting on the ground.
                      Last edited by Smart; 03-31-2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post

Humbling, isn't it? You burn thru yer tags too quickly anyways. Bout time these birds gang up on you and give you fits. I assume you have done the maiting pair mostly. Maybe switch it up a bit and try to emulate what the real birds are doing. Maybe have a flock of hens together by themselves and put a full fan stutter off to the side

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
                          Have you considered busting out the scatter gun and hunting the woods/bottoms over field edges?

Nah

I’ve been hunting mostly without a blind.

Comment

Clay hasn't given the story on that hunt one yet (I know shocked) so I can't speak for this particular hunt. But when they have hunted at our place they do both popups and our natural blinds......and its not odd for them to leave the popup to try to go cutoff a bird. I know Popo has a full leaf suit, pants included, because I have dropped him off in an oak mott in it. He probably shed them to go walk through mesquite and huisache to get his bird. Always be prepared I guess....

If Clay is wearing a leafy top, I'm going to assume they had a plan whether it be A, B or C to hunt on the ground at sometime that day. Post 167 shows him sitting on the ground.

This^

Thank you Mr Smart

Comment

For sure. Just looked funny at first.

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                                Humbling, isn't it? You burn thru yer tags too quickly anyways. Bout time these birds gang up on you and give you fits. I assume you have done the maiting pair mostly. Maybe switch it up a bit and try to emulate what the real birds are doing. Maybe have a flock of hens together by themselves and put a full fan stutter off to the side

Ha!

Man I’ve tried everything. Hens only, strutter, breeder, jake....I’ve had 8 gobblers within 50 yards and the only one to commit was Popo’s

Like always, it’s just a numbers game. Keep puttin time in the woods and their attitude will change.

Comment

Working...
                                X