Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-29-2020, 09:11 PM   #1
creekbottom02
Four Point

Hunt In: Papalote TX
Default Air compressor advise

Looking to get a new one. My old husky hand me down is having some electrical problems.

What brands y’all using or familiar with??

Looking at 30-60 gal. Don’t want to break the bank but something reliable. Mostly used for garage air tools, tires some light mechanic work. Nothing full on industrial

What y’all say
creekbottom02 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 09:54 PM   #2
RatherBhuntin
Six Point

Hunt In: Sonora

I bought a Husky 30 gal. a year ago. So far been happy with it. Can run nail guns, impacts, or air chisel and have never have had to wait on it to build pressure. What ever brand you go with would highly recommend one that has a oiled compressor. They are quiet compared to oil less models. My experience with a oil less is they will work fine but as they age they continue to get louder and eventually end up burning up the compressor. Burned up a few of them, but with that said they were being used in a construction site daily. Emglo was my best compressor till it was stolen out of the back of my truck
RatherBhuntin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 10:04 PM   #3
4xBuilder
Eight Point

Hunt In: Real County

2nd on avoiding the oil less types.
4xBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 10:04 PM   #4
clay4626
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roberston Co, Lincoln ranch and johnson ranch

get at least a 60 gal 5 hp. Most brands are good for at home shops
I have a twin cylinder 80 gal at 5hp. It don't have to run every few minutes
What electrical problems are you having ? Can't be more than motor or pressure control
clay4626 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 10:07 PM   #5
Saltaholic
Associate Sponsor

Really depends on how much you want to spend and if noise is a factor.

I run a 60 gallon Quincy and it’s been great powering the whole shop

Next one will probably be a rotary screw type they are quiet and efficient
Saltaholic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 10:14 PM   #6
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

I’m running a speed aire 80 gallon. It is the cat’s meow.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 04:49 AM   #7
Wits_End
Ten Point

Bought a Kobalt 26 gallon Quiet Tech and it is significantly quieter than standard compressors. Ive used it to run a nailer for trim installation, impact power tools and air chisel for hours. I have had it 6 months no problems. Its nice not having to worry about loud compressor kicking on while you are working in garage.
Wits_End is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 08:29 AM   #8
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

If you are just having electrical problems why not fix the electrical problems? There isn't much to an air compressor.
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 08:37 AM   #9
JhuntsAlot
Six Point

Hunt In: Houston County, Kendall County, where friends are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
If you are just having electrical problems why not fix the electrical problems? There isn't much to an air compressor.
I was thinking this as well. Not to mention you could buy the piston, ring & cylinder sleeve pretty cheap also. I rebuilt my two old crappy Craftsman's and they got quieter and filled in half the time. But I usually try to fix anything/everything before trashing it.

Unless you have some money to burn. Maybe early stimulus planning. lol

J
JhuntsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 08:45 AM   #10
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

About four or five years ago, my second Black Max compressor died, I want to say they were both 60 gallon tanks. Both were noisy as can be, waste of time trying to talk when either was running. The second one, the motor died, I replaced the motor and kept going, till one day, it threw a rod. I decided it was time to buy a new compressor and get something better, but I did not have much money to spend.

I did a lot of reading on the subject, then bought a 60 gallon North Star compressor from Northern Tools. That has been the best compressor I have had, by far. When it's running, its much quieter than the Black Max compressors, very big difference in the noise. Then this new compressor hardly ever turns on, when it does, it does not run long, before it has the pressure built back up. The old Black Max compressors had to run quite a while before they got the pressure built back up and shut off. I would bet in a weeks time, this new compressor runs only about 10 to 15 minutes, those numbers may be high. That's when I am using it every day. The old Black Max compressors, I would bet they ran at least one and a half hours per day I had was using them, so probably about nine hours in a weeks time. So the cost to run those had per month had to be much higher than this North Star. Those old Black Max compressors leaked all the time, I tried to fix the leaks, gave up after two or three attempts. Then they took so long to build pressure back up.
I want to say the North Star compressor was very close in price to the Black Max compressors, definitely a much better compressor.

Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 03-30-2020 at 08:53 AM.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #11
coker737
Ten Point

Hunt In: My KB Ranch. Rocksprings, TX

I have a Craftsman 20 gal that I bought in 1994 that is my Shop Compressor. Runs great.
I have two Craftsman Pancake compressors at other location and love um. Now that Lowe’s carries the brand.
coker737 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 10:11 AM   #12
creekbottom02
Four Point

Hunt In: Papalote TX

The electrical problem is The on/off switch that is tied into the pressure cut off. So basically I need to turn it on and off before the pressure builds up and blows the pressure valve. And usually I have to use a long screw driver to turn it on/off

And since I’m not into this compressor for anything. I think it’s time to upgrade
creekbottom02 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 05:23 PM   #13
BW412
Eight Point

I went with a dewalt and love it. Much quieter than the others I have had.
BW412 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #14
friscopaint
Ten Point

I've got harbor freight but it's definitely not quiet
friscopaint is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 09:07 PM   #15
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Bought me a craftsman 20 gallon, kinda loud but is durable and easy to move around
pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 09:13 PM   #16
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bryan Co. OK

I got the largest DeWalt with wheels. On sale at TSC. I think its a 30 gallon. Plenty big for shop use. I've ran framing nailers to small staple guns with no issues. The regulator valve works great. I mainly use it for airing up tires since all my impacts are battery powered.

I was shopping for an Ingersol Rand, but ended up with the DeWalt. Couldn't pass up the deal.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 09:13 PM   #17
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wits_End View Post
Bought a Kobalt 26 gallon Quiet Tech and it is significantly quieter than standard compressors. Ive used it to run a nailer for trim installation, impact power tools and air chisel for hours. I have had it 6 months no problems. Its nice not having to worry about loud compressor kicking on while you are working in garage.
I've got the same. Does a great job for me.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 09:16 PM   #18
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekbottom02 View Post
The electrical problem is The on/off switch that is tied into the pressure cut off. So basically I need to turn it on and off before the pressure builds up and blows the pressure valve. And usually I have to use a long screw driver to turn it on/off

And since I’m not into this compressor for anything. I think it’s time to upgrade
I have had to clean the contacts on the pressure switch that turns the compressor on and off, then adjust the pressure setting many times on both of the Black Max compressors I have had. I use a old ignition points file to clean the contacts, the contacts look just like old points. I find they sometimes get welded together and other times, they have build up on the contacts and don't make good contact. When my previous compressors gave me trouble, I would turn the breaker off, then get out the points file and some screw drivers. Then open up each set of contacts one by one, clean both sides, with the points file. Then once I had them all nice and flat and clean. I would kick the power back on and then work on adjusting the on and off pressure settings.
I have brought a few compressors back to life, that other people thought were beyond hope. Another option is to find a pressure switch and replace the one on the compressor you have. Northern Tools might sell them, pretty sure Granger sells them, they have about everything.
I have to admit, I waisted a lot of time keeping those two previous compressors working. I wish I would have bought the one I have now, many years sooner. I definitely got every bit of life out of the last two.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 11:55 PM   #19
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com..._content=Pumps

I gave someone else this link earlier. Also i saw Harbor Frt. had an ingersol rand and a quincy, both top brands
double bogey is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2020, 08:20 AM   #20
mattjproc
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano

I bought a California Air Tools compressor and it’s been the best one I’ve ever had. Super quiet.
mattjproc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2020, 10:45 AM   #21
Bigfootwolff
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anderson County, Colorado County

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but just curious as to the minimum size (gallons) needed to run a framing nailer. I don't need it to run a shop, but want to start building my own box blinds, and don't want to deal with using hundreds of screws like I did on my last blind build.
Bigfootwolff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2020, 11:05 AM   #22
gonzaleziam
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfootwolff View Post
Not to hijack the OP's thread, but just curious as to the minimum size (gallons) needed to run a framing nailer. I don't need it to run a shop, but want to start building my own box blinds, and don't want to deal with using hundreds of screws like I did on my last blind build.

So look for the recommended CFM on the tool you want. Then you want a compressor that can put out that CFM or more. CFM means measure of the flow rate of air pushed out by a compressor.
gonzaleziam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2020, 08:32 AM   #23
Saltaholic
Associate Sponsor

This will be my next probably

Have a buddy that runs one and it out performs most 60 gallon up rights

Crazy quiet too

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-el...ompressor.html

Saltaholic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2020, 08:41 AM   #24
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uh yeah. About that...

The 29gal Harbor Freight compressor uses the exact same electric motor as the DeWalt, can get parts for ITC he compressor and motor, and has run really well for me. I use it to clean my shop, air tires and pool floats, and to run a plasma cutter. Belt drive, oiled, and with an hour meter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top