Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #501
Puncher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

As I’ve said on Instagram, “Potential” is an amazing buck. It’s obvious that y’all are doing it right with the kind of deer y’all produce annually!
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 04:59 PM   #502
Puncher51
Ten Point

We ended up with 0.95Ē this week, which is a blessing! I know a lot of folks that had more, but Iím more than thankful. I havenít been to ranch but for a few hours since shortly after Christmas, so I canít wait to see what it looks like and whatís on camera. I wish the bucks would hurry up and lose their antlers so theyíll start to fatten back up.
A few weeks ago a buddy and I were varmint hunting other properties and made a quick trip by the ranch to make a few calls. We happened to kill this daytime double! Always fun killing Hill Country dogs!
Is it time to create a new thread, or should we wait a bit?
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2020, 05:45 PM   #503
TXhoghunter94
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Jacinto, Fayette, Leon, Real county TX

Very nice that's awesome! Our place started to green back up about 3 weeks ago. I'm down for starting a new thread around March when they loose their antlers. I will probably be at the lease every weekend looking for a certain set of sheds lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
TXhoghunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #504
Puncher51
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
Very nice that's awesome! Our place started to green back up about 3 weeks ago. I'm down for starting a new thread around March when they loose their antlers. I will probably be at the lease every weekend looking for a certain set of sheds lol

Haha I would be too if I was you! I agree, the season thread doesnít end until the antlers come off!
Old 02-13-2020, 08:06 PM   #505
TXhoghunter94
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puncher51 View Post

Haha I would be too if I was you! I agree, the season thread doesnít end until the antlers come off!
This is his 2018 headgear, if I could somehow get lucky and find both of his sheds from this year and have a shot at him this coming season I would be so blessed

Old 02-13-2020, 10:19 PM   #506
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

We were looking real good a couple of weekends ago. Had a little over 2 in of rain over a week & a half. Looks like we got about 6\10ths out of the last rain & maybe more coming next week. Deer were just starting to hit feeders a little bit. Hogs are coming back. Glad to see that. Ready to get a few. Wife did kill 2 ,Sat before last.
Good Luck on finding the sheds txhog!
DUKFVR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2020, 11:49 AM   #507
Puncher51
Ten Point

You never want to find a deer hung in the fence, but unfortunately it happens. Still trying to figure out who he is.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2020, 11:56 AM   #508
CentralTXHunter
Four Point

Thatís unfortunate. Just refilled feeders on our place in McCulloch County Friday. Looks in pretty good shape with the recent rain and my tall 8 I was after all season has survived. Only broke one of his browtines. Hope to find his sheds soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CentralTXHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2020, 12:09 PM   #509
Puncher51
Ten Point

That’s a beautiful buck!! Glad he survived
Old 03-05-2020, 08:07 PM   #510
Puncher51
Ten Point

How’d everyone do on rain? We had 1.40” according to the neighbors online gauge. I’m hoping we had at least that.
I’ll be making my first real trip to the ranch since early January. I look forward to checking some cameras, putting a cell camera out, and just see how everything is growing. How much rain did everyone else get?
Old 03-06-2020, 12:29 AM   #511
TXhoghunter94
Ten Point

Looks like we got quite a bit of rain. I was about to head out there tomorrow after work to search for my target bucks headgear because I thought he had dropped....well he actually hasn't! Just showed back up on camera today.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:50 AM   #512
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Just got to the ranch in San Saba last night. We got about 1.4 in over the week. We were here last weekend so the gauge was empty last Sunday. Things are Greening up good. Deer and hog still aren't hitting the feed very hard.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #513
roberts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and San Saba

Everything is looking good up on our place. We started the protein back in January, but with all of the acorns, they are eating very little. I still have to go get cameras and see who made it through the season. There should have been a lot of bucks make it through as we did not kill any this year and did not hear much shooting around us either.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2020, 04:48 PM   #514
Puncher51
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Everything is looking good up on our place. We started the protein back in January, but with all of the acorns, they are eating very little. I still have to go get cameras and see who made it through the season. There should have been a lot of bucks make it through as we did not kill any this year and did not hear much shooting around us either.
Ya Iím ready to check cameras and see whoís still around. Bucks were skinny last time I saw them. Hoping they are fattening back up with the green.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #515
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Spent about 20 hrs the last few days cutting cedars. We found about 6 sheds & one pair were laying right next to each other with brows crossed. The deer must have put his head down & both fell off together . One thing I did notice is the incredible amount of acorns on the ground. Just like a carpet under the oaks. No doubt why deer sightings were scarce. The country is greening up & deer & pigs still not hitting feeders much. Some pics of does on the protein a little, but still not much feeding on corn or protein.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:07 PM   #516
Puncher51
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
Spent about 20 hrs the last few days cutting cedars. We found about 6 sheds & one pair were laying right next to each other with brows crossed. The deer must have put his head down & both fell off together . One thing I did notice is the incredible amount of acorns on the ground. Just like a carpet under the oaks. No doubt why deer sightings were scarce. The country is greening up & deer & pigs still not hitting feeders much. Some pics of does on the protein a little, but still not much feeding on corn or protein.
Great recap!! Glad you spent a lot of time cutting cedars, we are always working to remove them as well.
I probably saw 30+ bucks this weekend, all but two still had both their antlers. They should all be off in the next few weeks.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:44 PM   #517
Puncher51
Ten Point

We are approaching 3” of rain over the last two days! Extremely blessed and thankful!
Old 03-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #518
Puncher51
Ten Point

Ended up averaging around 3.7” across the ranch. One pond caught some water, another didn’t catch anything. So thankful for the rain!