Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 11-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #851
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX
Default Other Cull Bucks

Here are the other bucks we are after this year to help reduce our deer numbers:
Name:  Cull 8pt.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  High Rise.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  65.0 KB

Name:  Other 8pt.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  47.6 KB

We have history with all three of these bucks for the past 3 years.
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #852
bgleaton
Ten Point

Any guesses on age for the two bucks I posted above?
Old 11-15-2019, 01:46 PM   #853
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

6/4 Both good candidates to be taken IMO
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #854
Puncher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgleaton View Post
Any guesses on age for the two bucks I posted above?
I think 5+ and 4. If I was in your situation I wouldnít lose any sleep shooting those two
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #855
bgleaton
Ten Point

Thanks guys! We also believe those two first two bucks need to go. We have 6 bucks to shoot this year so we are trying to take the worst bucks, 3yrs +, along with 10 doe to help bring our numbers down.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:22 PM   #856
Puncher51
Ten Point

So have y’all identified how many known bucks y’all have? And if so do y’all have them categorized by age class?
Old 11-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #857
bgleaton
Ten Point

Yes, we have 37 different bucks on camera. Here is the age class breakdown with our best guesses:
1.5yrs - 6
2.5yrs - 8
3.5yrs - 8
4.5yrs - 7
5.5yrs - 4
6.5yrs + - 4
Old 11-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #858
Puncher51
Ten Point

That’s awesome! I’m loving this thread and how detailed y’all are! Keep it up, this thread is definitely one of my favorites on here!
Old 11-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #859
bgleaton
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puncher51 View Post
Thatís awesome! Iím loving this thread and how detailed yíall are! Keep it up, this thread is definitely one of my favorites on here!
Thanks! We are trying our best to improve our deer herd. It will be interesting to see what our bucks look like after a couple years of intense management with the high fence. We are hoping we will see some big improvements and grow some 160Ē+ native deer in 3 years or so. Gotta get after and start reducing this deer herd over thanksgiving. Iíll keep yíall posted on what we shoot and how things are looking out there.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #860
Puncher51
Ten Point

As long as y’all keep feeding them like you are and keep the habitat in good shape it will be exciting to see the changes over the years.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #861
bgleaton
Ten Point

Default 12-2-2019 Update

We were able to shoot two of our cull bucks and 4 doe this past week/weekend. That puts us at 5 doe and 2 bucks for the year. We are hoping to shoot 2-3 more doe this weekend and 1-2 more cull bucks. Here are some pictures from the weekend:

Name:  IMG_0530 (Medium).jpg
Views: 956
Size:  153.5 KB
The wheat and clovers are growing but very slowly with the limited amount of rain we got in November. We need some rain quickly.

Name:  IMG_0542 (Medium).jpg
Views: 958
Size:  83.1 KB
This is one of our native fields. We are going to try to do a control burn this February with a burn manager to help improve our overall habitat. I'll post more as to what he recommends and pictures before and after.

Name:  IMG_0584 (Medium).jpg
Views: 952
Size:  57.4 KB
My son was able to sit in the stand and loved every minute of it.

Name:  IMG_0610 (Medium).jpg
Views: 951
Size:  107.1 KB
The deer have been hammering the alfalfa.

Name:  8pt.JPG
Views: 941
Size:  81.4 KB
Here is the 5.5yr old 8pt I shot. He dressed out at 135lbs.

Name:  Cull.JPG
Views: 942
Size:  165.6 KB
Here is the 4.5yr old 8pt my brother shot. He dressed out at 100lbs.

Name:  IMG_0622 (Medium).jpg
Views: 941
Size:  92.0 KB
This is a pretty 3.5yr old. We are excited to see what he grows into in the next 3 to 4 years.

Name:  IMG_0616 (Medium).jpg
Views: 942
Size:  105.6 KB
This is a pretty 6.5yr old that we have pictures of for several years. We are letting him go another year or so to see what he turns into.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #862
BrokenJ
Ten Point

Great updates! Really like this thread great info and pictures. Keep up the great work sir
BrokenJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #863
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Keep up the good work! Makes me happy
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #864
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Looking good. The deer you killed is really nice! You guys are doing all the right things. Keep it up.
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 09:06 PM   #865
bgleaton
Ten Point

Thanks! We will be out there this weekend to continue to reduce our numbers. We are hoping to shoot another 4 whitetail (3 doe and 1 buck) and maybe one blackbuck doe. I'm hoping to continue to clear some cedars around some of our oaks to help reduce competition.

One thing we have noticed since high fencing our place is that our place is way more fun to hunt, especially during the rut. In the past we would be lucky to see a 3.5yr+ buck chasing around feeders because all of our nice bucks would leave our property. We saw multiple 4.5yr+ bucks during each hunt and had several good bucks getting after each other.

We are meeting with a burn manager on 12/16 to come up with a burn plan. We are hoping to conduct a burn in February 2020. I will post some information as to what the burn manager recommends for us and what the plan will be. I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:21 PM   #866
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

I like to read the updates on your place.
Looks like you have a great age class breakdown already.
How do you determine which does to shoot?
It’s my experience most people shoot the bigger ones. That seems counter productive to me.

Big pig
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 07:49 AM   #867
bgleaton
Ten Point

Thanks! We are trying to shoot 8 to 10 doe on our place this year. We try to shoot a couple of doe fawns and doe yearlings each year to ensure that we don’t only shoot the productive mommas. We always try to keep some older doe bc they are the ones that are the most productive.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #868
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks! We are trying to shoot 8 to 10 doe on our place this year. We try to shoot a couple of doe fawns and doe yearlings each year to ensure that we donít only shoot the productive mommas. We always try to keep some older doe bc they are the ones that are the most productive.
Very smart!!!
Old 12-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #869
bgleaton
Ten Point

We shot 4 deer this past weekend:
2 doe
1 cull buck
1 blackbuck doe

Need to go out one more time and shoot a couple more blackbuck doe and whitetail doe and we should be good for the year.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #870
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Y’all are putting in the work. I can’t wait to see how this plays out in a few years; I’m guessing it will be as good or better than y’all anticipate.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #871
gingib
Pope & Young

man this is a dream of mine!!!
Old 12-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #872
bgleaton
Ten Point

Default 12/7/2019 Update

Here are some pictures from last weekend:

We set up some snares on our fence line where the dogs have been digging.
Name:  IMG_0705 (Medium).jpg
Views: 757
Size:  182.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0706 (Medium).jpg
Views: 749
Size:  163.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0709 (Medium).jpg
Views: 741
Size:  163.6 KB

Here is a picture of the 8pt my buddy shot this past weekend. He dressed out at 120lbs, which was lighter than I expected. We had him aged at 6.5/7.5yrs:
Name:  IMG_0729 (1) (Medium).jpg
Views: 731
Size:  70.8 KB
Here are pictures of him from 2016, 2017, & 2018.
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  45.8 KB

Pretty 9 pointer doing well.
Name:  IMG_0871 (Medium).jpg
Views: 738
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0873 (Medium).jpg
Views: 742
Size:  89.7 KB

We saw this 12pt in person this past weekend and he is really impressive.
Name:  IMG_0875 (Medium).jpg
Views: 735
Size:  56.5 KB

My new goal is to try and clear cedars around 3 to 5 oak trees each weekend I'm out there to try to help improve the oaks and allow a little more sunlight and rain to get into the soil. I'm hoping that will help.
Name:  IMG_0772 (Medium).jpg
Views: 731
Size:  145.8 KB

My dad is meeting with the burn manager on Monday and will let you know what he recommends for our property.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #873
Puncher51
Ten Point

Are y’all pulling that slash far enough away from the oaks? If not they’ll burn up during the burn
Old 12-13-2019, 09:56 AM   #874
bgleaton
Ten Point

I don’t think they will be burning in this area as it’s super thick in cedar. Not much grass to carry a fire in this area. That’s a good idea to pull the slash away from the tree further though for future burns.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #875
Puncher51
Ten Point

Quote:
I donít think they will be burning in this area as itís super thick in cedar. Not much grass to carry a fire in this area. Thatís a good idea to pull the slash away from the tree further though for future burns.
Awesome! Just double checking. Weíve learned a lot through trial and error. I just didnít want you to burn up what you were trying to save. From our experience itís best to pull any slash at least 50+ foot away, and if you have a big pile then itís best to go further. Flame lengths easily get 10í on a dried cedar and they put off a lot of heat. Even if the flames donít consume the leaves the heat is usually enough to brown out the oak limbs closest to the heat.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:14 AM   #876
gingib
Pope & Young

man that 9 and 12 will be studs in 2-3 years.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #877
bgleaton
Ten Point

Default Prescribed Burn Plan & Brush Management for 2020

We met with the burn manager this week and should be getting a burn plan but here are the areas he recommended we burn in February:
Name:  Prescribed Burning Areas.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  47.0 KB
We will be burning around 40% of the property.

The burn manager asked us to move a couple of brush piles away from some cedar thickets so while we have the dozer out there we are going to have them clear all of the cedars in this 5 acre area.
Name:  Cedar Clearing.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  115.8 KB
There are a bunch of live oak trees in this area (see red circles) and hope that the habitat in this area will improve after removing the cedars. We will probably broadcast a native perennial blend from Turner Seed to get some good forbs and grasses growing in the Spring. We are hoping to clear around 5 to 10 acres of cedar per year in certain areas to improve the productivity of our property.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #878
Tide
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Callahan

Have you considered mulching/shredding any of these areas?
Not sure what your dozer guy is charging but the additional cost of a shredder was 100% worth it for our needs.
Believe our dozer guy was $165/hour versus $225/hour for the shredder. Shredder left it looking like a park while the dozer had a ton of leftover work to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 08:03 AM   #879
bgleaton
Ten Point

Yes, we have used a mulcher/chipper and it worked great, especially in certain areas around oak trees. It's amazing the results we got from the cedar mulching machine - grasses came back quickly. We are going to have the same guy come out again some time but since we have to move brush piles with a dozer we wanted to find some other work for him to do since the dozer will already be out there.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #880
bgleaton
Ten Point

Default 1/17/20 Update

We met with the burn manager and he recommends that we hold off one more year to increase our fuel load to get a good burn. Our goal for 2020 is to get a dozer in and remove around 7 to 10 acres of cedars in certain areas and then broadcast native grasses/forbs in these areas. Here are the two areas we are going to clear. The red circles are live oaks. We are going to have the dozer clear ONLY cedars and we will hand cut the cedars around the live oaks and then lay those dead cedars that we hand cut throughout these clearings to act as grazing enclosures to help protect seedlings from being grazed.
Name:  Map.JPG
Views: 574
Size:  84.1 KB
Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  113.0 KB

We filled all of our cottonseed and protein feeders this past weekend and it looks like we got around 0.35in of rain yesterday and possibly another 0.5 of rain today...fingers crossed.

Name:  IMG_5905.JPG
Views: 562
Size:  100.6 KB

We finally got around to planting some landscaping in front of the house and planted two Mexican white oaks in front of the house:
Name:  Tree.JPG
Views: 551
Size:  79.5 KB

Here is a graph that shows the past couple of years protein and cottonseed feeding amounts per month. Starting 2020 off strong! I'm curious to see how this looks after a full year of being high fenced and whether or not we will see any big differences.
Name:  graph.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  30.7 KB
Old 01-17-2020, 09:00 AM   #881
PROD49
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

Quote:
We met with the burn manager and he recommends that we hold off one more year to increase our fuel load to get a good burn. Our goal for 2020 is to get a dozer in and remove around 7 to 10 acres of cedars in certain areas and then broadcast native grasses/forbs in these areas. Here are the two areas we are going to clear. The red circles are live oaks. We are going to have the dozer clear ONLY cedars and we will hand cut the cedars around the live oaks and then lay those dead cedars that we hand cut throughout these clearings to act as grazing enclosures to help protect seedlings from being grazed.
Attachment 988295
Attachment 988296

We filled all of our cottonseed and protein feeders this past weekend and it looks like we got around 0.35in of rain yesterday and possibly another 0.5 of rain today...fingers crossed.

Attachment 988293

We finally got around to planting some landscaping in front of the house and planted two Mexican white oaks in front of the house:
Attachment 988294

Here is a graph that shows the past couple of years protein and cottonseed feeding amounts per month. Starting 2020 off strong! I'm curious to see how this looks after a full year of being high fenced and whether or not we will see any big differences.
Attachment 988298
Love the graph. Did you just create your own pivot or is it a software program?
PROD49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 10:01 AM   #882
bgleaton
Ten Point

I keep all of our feeding records in excel and populate the graph from it.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:55 PM   #883
bgleaton
Ten Point

We will be paying even closer attention to our feed consumption and comparing it to the past 5 years of data. It will be interesting to see if our feed consumption increases or stays about the same since high fencing our place. I would assume that it will stay around the same or maybe increase slightly since we have hammered the whitetail but we will be doing a lot of habitat work (i.e. cedar removal) so hopefully that will help in reducing consumption.

Planning on shooting 2-3 blackbuck doe next trip bc they are reproducing like crazy. We are hoping to keep around 2 males and 4 or 5 females.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:24 PM   #884
yotethumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Quote:
2-3 blackbuck doe next trip bc they are reproducing like crazy. We are hoping to keep around 2 males and 4 or 5 females.
I know NOTHING about high fences or exotics. But with only two males will you have enough genetic diversity to prevent inner breeding? Just curious.

Really like the feed graph, I will have to start doing that.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 10:39 AM   #885
bgleaton
Ten Point

Not sure about that. We were told for our acreage to put two bucks and to try to keep around 4 or 5 females.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:13 AM   #886
Puncher51
Ten Point

Quote:
Not sure about that. We were told for our acreage to put two bucks and to try to keep around 4 or 5 females.
Yup, I wouldnít be concerned
Old 01-31-2020, 12:55 PM   #887
bgleaton
Ten Point

Default 1/31/2020 Update

We made a quick trip to the ranch this week to do some work. We set up and checked our snares on the fence and caught a large male coyote and a large male bobcat...two in one day!
Name:  Bobcat (Medium).jpg
Views: 418
Size:  129.0 KB
Name:  IMG_5922 (Medium).jpg
Views: 414
Size:  122.2 KB
We topped off the cottonseed and protein feeders. The blackbuck herd is continuing to grow. We have 4 bucks total now (2 blackbuck fawns). We are planning to shoot at least 3 females next trip to help reduce the numbers to keep around 10 to 12 total. Here are some pictures:
Name:  PICT1428 (Medium).jpg
Views: 413
Size:  98.7 KB
Name:  12260762 (Medium).jpg
Views: 428
Size:  88.1 KB
Name:  12260594 (Medium).jpg
Views: 427
Size:  77.2 KB
Name:  12pt (Medium).jpg
Size:  59.8 KB
Name:  PICT0660 (Medium).jpg
Views: 431
Size:  58.8 KB
Name:  PICT1292 (Medium).jpg
Size:  56.6 KB

Our fall food plots aren't growing very much but there is still a little green forage growing, better than nothing:
Name:  IMG_1896 (Medium).jpg
Views: 424
Size:  177.5 KB
Name:  IMG_1897 (Medium).jpg
Views: 421
Size:  155.3 KB
Old 01-31-2020, 04:38 PM   #888
Puncher51
Ten Point

Looking good! Please don’t introduce outside genetics, I can’t wait to see what you can do with your native herd!!
Old 01-31-2020, 04:46 PM   #889
Colton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Looking good! Please donít introduce outside genetics, I canít wait to see what you can do with your native herd!!
x2
Colton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 05:45 PM   #890
bgleaton
Ten Point

I think we are going to keep it all native and keep feeding the heck out of these deer. We are just being impatient. I’m sure we can grow 160in deer but it’s going to take another 4 to 5 years of feeding, habitat management, and herd control.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:59 PM   #891
Puncher51
Ten Point

Quote:
I think we are going to keep it all native and keep feeding the heck out of these deer. We are just being impatient. Iím sure we can grow 160in deer but itís going to take another 4 to 5 years of feeding, habitat management, and herd control.
Yes sir! But it sure will feel good that first time you see a 160 on camera!!
Old 02-02-2020, 10:37 AM   #892
Reaper87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee county, Mason county

Quote:
I think we are going to keep it all native and keep feeding the heck out of these deer. We are just being impatient. Iím sure we can grow 160in deer but itís going to take another 4 to 5 years of feeding, habitat management, and herd control.
I think youíre going to get there faster than you think. I would say in the next 3 years you have a 160 on the ground. That young ten you posted would be my guess.
Reaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #893
bgleaton
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper87 View Post
I think youíre going to get there faster than you think. I would say in the next 3 years you have a 160 on the ground. That young ten you posted would be my guess.
I hope you're right. I think we will get there as long as we continue to feed (protein, cottonseed, corn, fall plots, etc.) and remove cedars (10-15 acres) every year to increase quality native vegetation.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:47 PM   #894
Reaper87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee county, Mason county

All it takes is a deer to pop one year. I had a low 40s deer in mason explode to a 164” at 5 years old. Part of me wishes I would have passed him one more year. Too late now. With your fence I wouldn’t be surprised if you break into the 80s in the next ten. People don’t give native genetics enough credit. Look at el gatos Louisiana farm. Simply amazing.
Reaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #895
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Looking good! Please donít introduce outside genetics, I canít wait to see what you can do with your native herd!!
x2
Old 02-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #896
bgleaton
Ten Point

Default 2/11/2020

It looks like we got a little rain today (around 0.15-inch) and possibly more tonight/tomorrow. Hopefully we get more soon to help fill up the new pond.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:55 PM   #897
Puncher51
Ten Point

Quote:
It looks like we got a little rain today (around 0.15-inch) and possibly more tonight/tomorrow. Hopefully we get more soon to help fill up the new pond.
We have had that exact amount as well, a little jealous since the rest of mason Co has had quite a bit more! Hopefully we both get some good rains
Old 02-27-2020, 08:50 AM   #898
bgleaton
Ten Point

Default 2/27/20 Update

We went out last weekend and were able to shoot another whitetail doe and a blackbuck doe. Our whitetail harvest totals were 8 doe and 3 bucks. We hope to continue to reduce the blackbuck doe numbers through the Spring.

We were able to top off all of the cottonseed feeders and make sure everything else was in good condition. I purchased a drone to take some aerial videos and photos and I've been impressed with the quality of the pictures. Here are some pictures I took with the drone this past weekend:

Big Pond:
Name:  Big Pond.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  63.7 KB

Middle Blind:
Name:  Middle.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  56.3 KB

Name:  Middle 2.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  73.1 KB

New Pond:
Name:  New Pond.jpg
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  NW Corner.jpg
Size:  82.2 KB

South Clearing:
Name:  South.jpg
Size:  71.4 KB

We have a dozer coming out on Monday of next week to clear some cedars. He will be clearing cedars in the red outlined area which is about 5 acres in total. He will be leaving the oaks and mesquites and using the take 20 cedars and leave 1 cedar approach so that the field isn't too bare. We are going to end up clearing a lot of long meandering strips to help provide more edge and more forage for wildlife. I will take some drone videos/pictures after we have finished the clearings.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:26 AM   #899
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Looking Good! Be watching those native deer get BIG!!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #900
Puncher51
Ten Point

Love the new addition with the drone!