Outboard oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outboard oil?

I’m not a boat guy. What kind of oil does a 2018 Tohatsu 115 direct injection outboard need? Company boat, can’t find the manual and there are partial bottles of both Quicksilver “DFI” and Quicksilver “2-stroke” in the boat box.

Outboard oil?

Any 2 stroke outboard oil will work provided the engine is a 2 stroke.

It doesn’t have to be quicksilver it can be any brand as long as it says 2 stroke oil. I also bought it a gallon at a time when I had a 2 stroke motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mayhem; 03-26-2021, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Id get what you can find thats TCW3

Comment

My 2018 model 150 doesn’t say “four stroke” on the cowling. Do you know for sure it’s a 2 stroke?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
          My 2018 model 150 doesn’t say “four stroke” on the cowling. Do you know for sure it’s a 2 stroke?
          I know it has a little reservoir on top and consumes oil... . Assume that means it’s an automixing two-stroke?

Comment

These are the two partial bottles I found in the boat.
            Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like a 2-stroke then. I always use the cheap Walmart brand oil, it has the TCW3 like Quackerbox said, I figure they’re all about the same oil, different colored bottles.

Comment

I've always used the Pennzoil with TCW3 and had good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                  Keep in mind some oils don't mix together very well. Both of those oils can be mixed together per Mercury/Quicksilver. If you are going to switch to another brand I would run the tank as low as possible before putting the new brand in.

Both of those quicksilver oils are good oils. The DFI is supposed to help minimize carbon deposits.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                    Anything that says TCW3 on it will work fine, the Quicksilver is good oil but a lot of people just use Pennzoil or whatever's on sale. Ditto running tank a little low if you're switching brands just to be safe.

Comment

Thanks for the help, folks.

Comment

Working...
                      X