Is throw-and-grow seed a waste?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Stalker View Post
    Oats and sugar beets is what I used this year. The oats they munch on all fall and then when it finally freezes they will absolutely destroy the sugar beets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Let's see some pics of your plots! I've been considering this mix

Comment

Most of the seeds in throw and grow is rye grass seed. Throw rye, oats and turnips. The oats and turnips will come up first and rye will come up later when the temp stays cool at nights.

Comment

Which turnips are best for deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
          Which turnips are best for deer?

Ones that won’t grow. lol

In all my years I’ve seen proof of 3-4 leaves bitten of every species there is

Comment

I meant radishes. Which is best for deer?

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
              I meant radishes. Which is best for deer?

From all my planting, notes, monitoring, watching, cages ect. All brassicas suck. They are good soil builders and do offer some variety. But I’ve seen deer choice cedar limbs and Chinese privet over them

Comment

I'll throw oats.......right before about 3 days of rain. It's hit and miss on the rain. Looks like a miss this year.

Comment

I threw elbon rye and the crows ate all 80 lbs. in a week. None of it took.

Comment

Oats or wheat, that stuff in bag is mostly rye grass, deer gotta be very hungry to eat it. Boils down to you gotta prepare the ground and plant what they like to eat. In our area, if we have a good acorn crop, food plots are good for a token nibble and late season feast.

Comment

I usually plant Buck Forage Oats or some form of forage oats and that is what I had the best luck with. I planted wheat one time and I will never do that again because it kept growing in the spring / summer and left a massive root ball that was brutal to rototill under in the spring. Winter oats just fade away.
                      I would suggest that you would be better off spraying Roundup on the area, let it die off, mow it and whatever grows back roundup again. Then in the fall after some rain tear up the bare dirt what ever way you can and throw down the forage oats and and the drag something (a gate, chain link fence etc) over them to cover the oats and if you can do this right before a moderate rain, not a flood. The oats will come up and they just keep growing and the deer can't usually kill them out like peas if the deer eat the first two leaves that sprout on peas. Good luck.

Comment

Is throw-and-grow seed a waste?

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
                        Let's see some pics of your plots! I've been considering this mix

I had small plots this year. Let me see if I can find some pics. They will be huge next year. I know that. They hit the food plots before anything else.

Edit: Don’t have one of the sugar beets. Just these two. A mix of oats and all sort of other stuff. Used whitetail institute’s Pure Attraction and Beet and Greens. Was really impressed with the growth until the deer mowed it down and I realize I need BIG plots. And yes a calf got into one of the pens. Mowed it down quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        Last edited by Texas Stalker; 12-21-2020, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I think its mainly a gimmick. ALL the contributing factors have to come together for it to work: rain (and did it keep raining after it was planted), soil PH, did you plant it deep/shallow enough, did the birds eat it all, did you plant it at the right time, did you kill all the unwanted grass/weeds, etc, etc. I would spend your money on a different mix that would be more suited to your area, and best of luck to you. Do you have heavy machinery (tractor with a disc, etc)?

Comment

Pretty tough sell on the throw and grow.

If I don’t turn it over and drag it, my seed becomes dove and Turkey food in a hurry, especially wheat.

I have good luck with turnips and kale. Those little seeds might work decent on throw and grow if they contact bare dirt and get rained on.
                            Last edited by Razrbk89; 12-21-2020, 04:16 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I've never tried specific throw and grow stuff but I have had good luck nuking the grass with glyphosate and then coming back a week later, spread oats and mow the grass down on top of the seed. Has worked great for me so far. As long as it rains it will come up.

Google "throw and mow food plot"

Comment

what if you mixed the seed in with topsoil before laying it down? I've been considering doing a food plot but i don't have access to a tractor nor would a tractor have access to my area.

Comment

Working...
                                X