No announcement yet.

Deer Slug or Buckshot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buckshot for sure. Dirt naps them quick.

Comment

Another vote for buckshot. Killed a lot of hogs with it out to 40 yds or so. My grand dad killed deer plenty of deer with 12 ga 2 3/4" 00 buckshot. He wouldn't use anything else.

Comment

Killed my biggest buck to date with a load of 00 buckshot.

Comment

Deer Slug or Buckshot?

Originally posted by Mac... View Post
          Slug

Originally posted by TTORA View Post
          I would go slug over buckshot for sure

Originally posted by Wylde E View Post
          Slugs from smooth bore are pretty accurate actually.

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
          Rifled slug with at least a modified choke. Improved is even better. Warning.... 12 ga slugs kick like hell!

50 yds and less you are good.

She is having issues with holding the rifle steady fellas.

I was raised running deer dogs killing deer with buckshot. When I do use a shotgun this is what I reach for.

Last edited by JW; 11-25-2015, 09:29 PM.

Comment

At 20-30 yards 00 or 000 buck is devastating!

Comment

I would go with 00 buckshot. I have killed deer with them out to 75 yards. My son just blasted a big boar with buckshot at 60 yards with 00 buck last month. Slugs would work too but still require a level of accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                I would go with 00 buckshot. I have killed deer with them out to 75 yards. My son just blasted a big boar with buckshot at 60 yards with 00 buck last month. Slugs would work too but still require a level of accuracy.

Yep. Much less 35-40 yards.

Comment

Good deal, thanks for all the input! Ragin, ill be taking a look at those loads this weekend.

Weve talked about it back and forth and think this is the best option for her in my bow blind. She smokes the crap outta teal and geese but still hasnt acclimated to adrenaline/shaking while aiming at a stationary target. I guess the other option would be to buy a rest/sled/shooting sticks for her rifle but Id rather not. Shes tough to out shoot at the range thats for sure
                  Last edited by ultralite09; 11-25-2015, 10:20 PM.

Comment

At 20 yards, it doesn't matter, past 35 or so,I saw a lot of deer lost using buckshot when I was a young man. Ashamed to admit I caused several of those. Find them dead several days later or kill them when we saw them later already so sick you wouldn't eat them. A slug leaves a good blood trail. Buckshot, very little, but if you can't shoot a rifle at 20yds a slug won't help either

Comment

I like slugs. But I'm a crack shot. Maybe she needs to spend a little more time observing while you do the shooting. Doesn't sound like she's ready, to me.

Comment

Deer Slug or Buckshot?

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                        I like slugs. But I'm a crack shot. Maybe she needs to spend a little more time observing while you do the shooting. Doesn't sound like she's ready, to me.

Or she can use some buckshot and kill her a deer.

Comment

I just killed my biggest buck yet with buckshot, I will say when you get shaky buckshot helps ya out a lot! At 30 yards I drilled him, 2 pellets through the heart and another 3 or 4 through the lungs and dropped in his tracks! Buckshot all the way, especially with the shakes. I used 00 buckshot. Had 2 or 3 pellets actually do a complete pass through. Just find the right choke that patterns well with your gun.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                            Oh trust me, she's ready. I just don't think a rifle is practical for this kind of shot. If it wasn't going to be shotgun it wouldbe been my buddy's crossbow

Comment

Don't use buckshot...... Slugs are the way to go

I speak from experience. Grew up hunting Wisconsin and Illinois

Comment

Looks like we have a mixture of opinions here. Speaking from experience from doing deer drives for years, I killed a many of em with buckshot and only lost one that I can recollect but I was 14 when that occurred and it was a bad shot I shouldn't have taken. I always had a slug handy if one was out there a little ways but rarely used them as most of the deer ran within 30 yards of us.

Comment

Working...
                                X