Generator Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator Safety

What are some common sense rules on generator safety.

Like how far from house should it sit for CO2 safety

What size extension cord should be used.

Don't set anything on fire with the exhaust...........

Comment

I have mine about 20 yards away from the house. I’m running 12 gauge cord into the house. From there I have a surge protector connected, and 14 gauge cords going to lights, tv, internet. I have second dedicated 12 gauge cord with a surge protector going to a space heater that we turn on occasionally. Seems to be working good so far.

Comment

Can you install a 50 amp interlock breaker if your inverter or generator is large enough.

Looking at the interlock devices all show 30 amp breakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
          Can you install a 50 amp interlock breaker if your inverter or generator is large enough.

Looking at the interlock devices all show 30 amp breakers.
          I "think" you can go larger with your two pole generator breaker, but I would ask an electrician. It could be determined by the size, model, or even age of your panel and wiring. I only know enough about electricity to get myself in trouble. I let the electrician do the work inside the panel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Number one in safety is make sure you disconnect the main feeds from the utility. If you double lug them with the utility feeders you may kill a lineman. 240 volts backfed through the city transformer becomes primary voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
              Number one in safety is make sure you disconnect the main feeds from the utility. If you double lug them with the utility feeders you may kill a lineman. 240 volts backfed through the city transformer becomes primary voltage.
              ^^This is the number 1 rule

If the generator is outside there should be no issue with CO

I rigged Miller Bobcat up to run some of mine last night. Dad walked me through process. Basically back fed into house through 10g extension cord, turned off all of the 240 stuff and only ran a select few lights and plugs

After this crap clears out we will be hardwiring a dedicated line from generator into panel. Including installation of a switch that prevents using it if main breaker is not off
              Might start watching for a dedicated generator for the house.
              We are last ones on the line so if it is something affecting just us they are trying to fix things to get bigger numbers up over just us which has resulted in us being without power for extended periods

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
                Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                ^^This is the number 1 rule

If the generator is outside there should be no issue with CO

I rigged Miller Bobcat up to run some of mine last night. Dad walked me through process. Basically back fed into house through 10g extension cord, turned off all of the 240 stuff and only ran a select few lights and plugs

After this crap clears out we will be hardwiring a dedicated line from generator into panel. Including installation of a switch that prevents using it if main breaker is not off
                Might start watching for a dedicated generator for the house.
                We are last ones on the line so if it is something affecting just us they are trying to fix things to get bigger numbers up over just us which has resulted in us being without power for extended periods

This will prevent any chance of back feed IF installed properly.

This prevents any chance of the above. An interlock switch kit is the FIRST Item that needs to be installed on your panel cover.

Our General Electric Interlock Kits are made here in the USA, & each Kit is custom-designed to work with the GE electrical panel on your home.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJdzHnhGOPE&t=324s"]How To Install A Generator Interlock Kit - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Great video

Comment

I hope a certified electrician will step in, but I haven't been seeing anyone physically grounding a portable generator with a ground rod. I know our electricians would ground welders and generators on outages where I used to work. I'm all for using whatever is necessary to provide power, just DO IT SAFELY.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                      I hope a certified electrician will step in, but I haven't been seeing anyone physically grounding a portable generator with a ground rod. I know our electricians would ground welders and generators on outages where I used to work. I'm all for using whatever is necessary to provide power, just DO IT SAFELY.
                      Not saying my dad is an expert but he is an electrician and said I do not need to worry about grounding welder/generator
                      If he had the least feeling I would hurt myself or my property he would not cut any corners

Comment

Thanks Bryan. I think I saw a picture somewhere these last few days where someone had a generator set up with a ground rod. The last thing I want to see or hear about is someone having an unnecessary accident.

Comment

Please make sure your exhaust does not enter the house. It can be fatal

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                            Not saying my dad is an expert but he is an electrician and said I do not need to worry about grounding welder/generator
                            If he had the least feeling I would hurt myself or my property he would not cut any corners
                            I was thinking of this yesterday, one scenario I could see is if for some reason you forgot to unplug your feed line from the generator to the panel before flipping main back on. You would be sending power back to the generator. Or if for some reason you had a short out of one of the receptacles on the generator and it was sitting on rubber wheels, you would be the ground the next time you touch it.

Probably never need it but there are circumstances that could happen.

Comment

My generators have a grounding lug. When I used them in my bowfishing boat, I grounded them to my boat. If you have metal piping coming into your house, you can use a grounding clamp and ground them to that, or if you are tying into your panel, that is likely right next to the grounding rod for your house... I think code requires 2 grounding rods now. Ground the genny to one of those with a separate clamp.

Comment

Working...
                              X