Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-17-2021, 06:27 PM   #1
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County
Default Generator Safety

What are some common sense rules on generator safety.

Like how far from house should it sit for CO2 safety

What size extension cord should be used.
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 06:38 PM   #2
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

Don't set anything on fire with the exhaust...........
Johnny Dangerr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 06:50 PM   #3
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines

I have mine about 20 yards away from the house. I’m running 12 gauge cord into the house. From there I have a surge protector connected, and 14 gauge cords going to lights, tv, internet. I have second dedicated 12 gauge cord with a surge protector going to a space heater that we turn on occasionally. Seems to be working good so far.
Tx.Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 06:56 PM   #4
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

Can you install a 50 amp interlock breaker if your inverter or generator is large enough.

Looking at the interlock devices all show 30 amp breakers.
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 07:54 PM   #5
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan R View Post
Can you install a 50 amp interlock breaker if your inverter or generator is large enough.

Looking at the interlock devices all show 30 amp breakers.
I "think" you can go larger with your two pole generator breaker, but I would ask an electrician. It could be determined by the size, model, or even age of your panel and wiring. I only know enough about electricity to get myself in trouble. I let the electrician do the work inside the panel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 08:35 PM   #6
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

Number one in safety is make sure you disconnect the main feeds from the utility. If you double lug them with the utility feeders you may kill a lineman. 240 volts backfed through the city transformer becomes primary voltage.
KenWood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 09:25 PM   #7
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWood View Post
Number one in safety is make sure you disconnect the main feeds from the utility. If you double lug them with the utility feeders you may kill a lineman. 240 volts backfed through the city transformer becomes primary voltage.
^^This is the number 1 rule

If the generator is outside there should be no issue with CO

I rigged Miller Bobcat up to run some of mine last night. Dad walked me through process. Basically back fed into house through 10g extension cord, turned off all of the 240 stuff and only ran a select few lights and plugs

After this crap clears out we will be hardwiring a dedicated line from generator into panel. Including installation of a switch that prevents using it if main breaker is not off
Might start watching for a dedicated generator for the house.
We are last ones on the line so if it is something affecting just us they are trying to fix things to get bigger numbers up over just us which has resulted in us being without power for extended periods
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 06:08 AM   #8
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
^^This is the number 1 rule

If the generator is outside there should be no issue with CO

I rigged Miller Bobcat up to run some of mine last night. Dad walked me through process. Basically back fed into house through 10g extension cord, turned off all of the 240 stuff and only ran a select few lights and plugs

After this crap clears out we will be hardwiring a dedicated line from generator into panel. Including installation of a switch that prevents using it if main breaker is not off
Might start watching for a dedicated generator for the house.
We are last ones on the line so if it is something affecting just us they are trying to fix things to get bigger numbers up over just us which has resulted in us being without power for extended periods

This will prevent any chance of back feed IF installed properly.

This prevents any chance of the above. An interlock switch kit is the FIRST Item that needs to be installed on your panel cover.

http://www.interlockkit.com/category_s/1832.htm

Arrowsmith is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 08:07 AM   #9
HubCityThumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scurry County, sofa

https://youtu.be/GA_zhLogUG8

Great video
HubCityThumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 09:22 AM   #10
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

I hope a certified electrician will step in, but I haven't been seeing anyone physically grounding a portable generator with a ground rod. I know our electricians would ground welders and generators on outages where I used to work. I'm all for using whatever is necessary to provide power, just DO IT SAFELY.
Pstraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #11
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstraw View Post
I hope a certified electrician will step in, but I haven't been seeing anyone physically grounding a portable generator with a ground rod. I know our electricians would ground welders and generators on outages where I used to work. I'm all for using whatever is necessary to provide power, just DO IT SAFELY.
Not saying my dad is an expert but he is an electrician and said I do not need to worry about grounding welder/generator
If he had the least feeling I would hurt myself or my property he would not cut any corners
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 10:15 AM   #12
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Thanks Bryan. I think I saw a picture somewhere these last few days where someone had a generator set up with a ground rod. The last thing I want to see or hear about is someone having an unnecessary accident.
Pstraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 10:26 AM   #13
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

Please make sure your exhaust does not enter the house. It can be fatal

https://foxsanantonio.com/news/local...xide-poisoning
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 10:54 AM   #14
RWB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
Not saying my dad is an expert but he is an electrician and said I do not need to worry about grounding welder/generator
If he had the least feeling I would hurt myself or my property he would not cut any corners
I was thinking of this yesterday, one scenario I could see is if for some reason you forgot to unplug your feed line from the generator to the panel before flipping main back on. You would be sending power back to the generator. Or if for some reason you had a short out of one of the receptacles on the generator and it was sitting on rubber wheels, you would be the ground the next time you touch it.

Probably never need it but there are circumstances that could happen.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 07:59 PM   #15
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

My generators have a grounding lug. When I used them in my bowfishing boat, I grounded them to my boat. If you have metal piping coming into your house, you can use a grounding clamp and ground them to that, or if you are tying into your panel, that is likely right next to the grounding rod for your house... I think code requires 2 grounding rods now. Ground the genny to one of those with a separate clamp.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 08:01 PM   #16
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Also, if you have your generator sitting under the overhang of your house, make sure there are no soffit vents anywhere nearby. That exhaust is hot gas and will go straight up the side of the house and into the attic, then migrate down into the house as it cools... If you have soffit vents, set the genny far enough outside the drip line of your roof so the exhaust will not rise into those soffits.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top