Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2021, 11:08 AM   #51
Falling
Eight Point
 
Falling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverhunter View Post
I'm not in the oil and gas industry and a i think wind turbines suc !
Disagree, I think it's just people scared of new stuff.

Power is power to me, i love all of it -- oil, gas, wind, solar. etc
As stated i think they should remove all subsidies from ALL power types.
Perhaps then oil/gas etc is the way to go -- let the market rule.

Wind turbines have to be at least 300 meters from any house -- often they are much further away, at 300 meters it creates less sound than the average air conditioner. I do think in general they should be at least 1000 meters from any house.

They make great money if you put them in the right place (cost effective).
If they make money (they do) then they are not a waste of financial or material resources unless of course you don't own the right land or are just jealous non-oil barons can now make money also.
Falling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 11:13 AM   #52
Falling
Eight Point
 
Falling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan11 View Post
ERCOT should have had the foresight that it was going to lose renewable generation and started bringing on more gas units when startup would have been easier before the freeze.

... It wasn't a lack a preparation, but it was a historic storm and our facilities are built to run in our standard climate not arctic climates. Being a deregulated market, we don't have endless Capital to invest in being prepared for a once a century storm.
....
ultimately resides in people wanting renewables, .
Looks to me like lack of preparation to me. You say it was lack of prep, then backtrack, then blame renewables.

People hating on new energy sources are just playing into the hands of big oil/gas/coal.

I love oil but I also love competition! Feels like Renewables are getting attacked by Big oil/gas/coal to me, they are afraid their communistic monopoly has competition.

Last edited by Falling; 02-17-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Falling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 11:17 AM   #53
Falling
Eight Point
 
Falling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
The depletion allowance is the only significant oil and gas tax break and it is for discovery, not production or power.

Are wind/solar farms paying into the Land and Water conservation fund?

You are bragging that wind/solar is only down to 50% production. What percentage of their production are fossil fuel plants down to in the state?
was not bragging, i was pointing out wind only provides a small SUBSET of the full total power in the system. The plants that are not prepared for cold weather contributed just as much and they produce more of the energy. So why are people just attacking renewables?

Also wind turbines work great in cold weather, just people decided to save money by not installing the cold weather protection (just like the factories did not).

Just makes no sense to ONLY attack Renewables.
Falling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 11:20 AM   #54
FVR JR
Eight Point
 
FVR JR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Classified
Default

No one is scared or jealous. Some just see wind for what it is, a new feel good tech that isn't as reliable and can't produce near as much as an old school coal or gas plant. I'm all for renewables, but they ain't ready for prime time. Only reason wind turbines exist at the current scale is because greenies if anyone are scared. We can't have the tried and true fossil fuels because it's too dirty. Can't have nuclear because some Russian plant put together with duct tape and bubble gum failed. Think of the children... oh fyi, I'm just as upset with our poorly maintained old school infrastructure too
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 11:24 AM   #55
Falling
Eight Point
 
Falling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVR JR View Post
No one is scared or jealous. Some just see wind for what it is, a new feel good tech that isn't as reliable and can't produce near as much as an old school coal or gas plant. I'm all for renewables, but they ain't ready for prime time. Only reason wind turbines exist at the current scale is because greenies if anyone are scared. We can't have the tried and true fossil fuels because it's too dirty. Can't have nuclear because some Russian plant put together with duct tape and bubble gum failed. Think of the children... oh fyi, I'm just as upset with our poorly maintained old school infrastructure too
Wind makes money today, hence it's ready for prime time.
Oil / Gas / Coal must not be ready for prime time either, because a big problem right now is the factories pipes are frozen over / were shutdown etc.

Makes no sense to attack the little guy on the field when you got the 100+ year champ having the SAME problems.

Last edited by Falling; 02-17-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Falling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 11:34 AM   #56
DRT
Pope & Young
 
DRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri
Default

All of the green energy haters blame the green energy failing but for 90+% of the year wind, above freezing temps and sunshine are the rules in Texas. So 90% of the time green energy is a real contributor to the market. This is a once in every so often event. Yeah it sucked. And suffering with an intestinal virus during it blows. (pun intended).

Seems to me it is like most things. There is no middle ground for too many people. The lack of common sense makes it impossible to do what is right in our country.

It ends up about money (greed), politics (I hate you and will never agree with you even if I have to screw myself over to do it), and the lies we are fed that we choose to believe because of other's greed agendas.
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 11:42 AM   #57
Killer
Ten Point
 
Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Powderly, TX
Hunt In: God's green earth
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falling View Post
Looks to me like lack of preparation to me. You say it was lack of prep, then backtrack, then blame renewables.

People hating on new energy sources are just playing into the hands of big oil.

I love oil but I also love competition! Feels like Renewables are getting attacked by Big Oil/ Gas to me, they are afraid their communistic monopoly has competition.
Dang we did not have blackouts or brownouts during the last bad storms. It is happening because we started relying on renewables for base load on the generation grid. I think everyone wants competition and cheaper electric bills. The problem with renewables is they are NOT RELIABILE!!! Period!! Until they are we cannot rely on them as much as we do now or this will be the normal every time we have that big ice/cold storm 5 to 10 years apart.

Gas, coal and nuclear or a lot more reliable and stable ask anyone that knows!!

You must have voted democratic to try to blame this fiasco on BIG OIL!! Good grief!
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 12:10 PM   #58
Falling
Eight Point
 
Falling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Dang we did not have blackouts or brownouts during the last bad storms. It is happening because we started relying on renewables for base load on the generation grid. I think everyone wants competition and cheaper electric bills. The problem with renewables is they are NOT RELIABILE!!! Period!! Until they are we cannot rely on them as much as we do now or this will be the normal every time we have that big ice/cold storm 5 to 10 years apart.

Gas, coal and nuclear or a lot more reliable and stable ask anyone that knows!!

You must have voted democratic to try to blame this fiasco on BIG OIL!! Good grief!

Energy is energy to me. A lot of coal/gas plants are down right now due to not being able to handle the cold weather as well, or were simply shut down in maintenance mode.

I blame everyone -- not just renewables, not just oil/gas/coal. It came down to decisions MEN made, not the energy types. I think we should have MORE of all of these types of energy.

So explain to me the logic here:

A) Renewables (normally around 20% of our energy : from what i've seen it's currently still providing 10-15 percent ) are not supplying their max output to the power grid. Mostly due to the fact they were not setup to handle cold weather.
--> Renewables SUCK!

B) Coal/Gas/Oil ( normally around 67% of our energy, i've not seen good numbers on this currently, will be very informative when we get them, what i do know is multiple plants have been shutoff, some have BURNED to the ground, and others were in maintance mode) is not supplying their max output to the power grid. Mostly due to the fact they were not setup to handle cold weather and the management decided to not prepare for a cold storm that was known a good week ahead of time.
--> Renewables SUCK!

I don't get the logic of holding (A) and (B).
It seems like if (A) is true, then (B) should also be held accountable.
Instead (B) team here is claiming (A) is at fault for everything!

Feels political to me.

Last edited by Falling; 02-17-2021 at 12:19 PM.
Falling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 01:03 PM   #59
Leverhunter
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falling View Post
Disagree, I think it's just people scared of new stuff.

Power is power to me, i love all of it -- oil, gas, wind, solar. etc
As stated i think they should remove all subsidies from ALL power types.
Perhaps then oil/gas etc is the way to go -- let the market rule.

Wind turbines have to be at least 300 meters from any house -- often they are much further away, at 300 meters it creates less sound than the average air conditioner. I do think in general they should be at least 1000 meters from any house.

They make great money if you put them in the right place (cost effective).
If they make money (they do) then they are not a waste of financial or material resources unless of course you don't own the right land or are just jealous non-oil barons can now make money also.
Has nothing to do with being scared. 300 meters is a joke. Thatís probably the impact zone when one fails. I occasionally stay on a farm with windmills over a mile away and the noise is bad. The owners are just outside the economic recover area and get nothing except excess noise and a bad view.

Without subsidies they are not economically viable and definitely not reliable. At best they are an experiment.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 02:10 PM   #60
Falling
Eight Point
 
Falling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverhunter View Post
Has nothing to do with being scared. 300 meters is a joke. That’s probably the impact zone when one fails. I occasionally stay on a farm with windmills over a mile away and the noise is bad. The owners are just outside the economic recover area and get nothing except excess noise and a bad view.

Without subsidies they are not economically viable and definitely not reliable. At best they are an experiment.

I've been around a lot of wind turbines also, have had no issues. Granted I'm sure sometimes they break, sometimes they are not maintained correctly. You know you can bring a nuisance lawsuits against the owner of the turbine if they are indeed making too much noise, and odds are high you would win.
Of course you would have to have proof (easy enough if it's noise).

I know a poked fun at 'big oil' some, but most of them are also investing tons of money into wind power, so in the end it's all the same. Energy is Energy boys, and I blame all of them: Coal, Oil, Gas, Solar, Wind-- NONE of them being prepared for the cold in Texas. I don't get why people just focus on Wind, that is my only point...seems like you guys are playing an unfair game.

This was bad management. Period.

Pretty sure Texas did not join the USA energy grid for a reason....more control over the grid, no federal regulation (or less). Texas and those in charge (not an energy type) are to blame.

Last edited by Falling; 02-17-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Falling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 02:12 PM   #61
Sleepy
Pope & Young
 
Sleepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverhunter View Post
Has nothing to do with being scared. 300 meters is a joke. That’s probably the impact zone when one fails. I occasionally stay on a farm with windmills over a mile away and the noise is bad. The owners are just outside the economic recover area and get nothing except excess noise and a bad view.

Without subsidies they are not economically viable and definitely not reliable. At best they are an experiment.
I have been in wind energy since 2008. I have overseen certain scopes of work on over 5000 turbines and millions of trench feet. What is sad is how truly misinformed the general public is on wind energy and its costs/production/subsidies. There is so much hear say about wind that is completely false and quite frankly, I find it a little funny. Majority of people just repeat what they hear or read, and it’s true you know, cause it’s on the internet. Lol

You can’t hear turbines spinning from a mile away. Sorry, there is no argument there. The only sound they make is the blade cutting the wind. Ain’t it’s not that loud.

Wind energy makes up less than 20% of the power grid so why wind is getting all the blame is quite funny.

Wind farms average a 5 year pay off.

Wind farms receive subsidies, just like any other fuel/generation source.

Wind farms are also profitable enough that they are relying less on government subsidies every year.

Wind farms are not going anywhere


Now I’m not just taking up for wind because it makes my paycheck every week. The fact is, it works and it’s very profitable. It also creates THOUSANDS of very well paying jobs with significantly less down turns than oil and gas. Do I think it is the be all end all? Hell no. We NEED oil and gas. But alternatives are not a negative either.

Last edited by Sleepy; 02-17-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Sleepy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 02:26 PM   #62
BowhunterB
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Hill Country and Searching
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falling View Post
Most wind turbines pay themselves off pretty quickly it's why they are going up, I think it's a ruse by oil guys to avoid competition. Sounds like some of you don't actually like open market capitalism unless it directly benefits you, seems kind of communistic to me.

Why is an open market so bad boys? I know you guys are going to say, but wind/solar has been subsidized! Guess what, so is oil/gas, and has been since 1915, mad someone else got on that gravy train?

I'm all for removing all subsidies from all energy personally, guess what happens if you do, the price goes up across the board.

If you put wind turbines in a horrible location -- sure they suck (which is where people get this talking point, they did a test on a very badly place wind farm) -- don't do that (they are a lot better now at testing an area first).

As far as I know wind has been contributing it's share of the energy pie since this issue happened, oil/gas HAS NOT, so no idea why wind/solar is getting hammered....except the oil guys are just attacking competition, why people choose to shut down so many of the plants, that was an economic call by some energy bosses so their bonus will be bigger at the end of the year. Problem there is with people, not with solar/wind/gas/oil.

I think there is tons of oil out there, and it's great. I don't think we are even close to running out of oil. Why focus on other industries then?

A) It's driving technology advances in batteries and solar big time.
B) It's a form of competition
C) While oil/gas may last for another 100, 1000, or even 10000 (I think its more like in this realm) years why not prepare for the future now, put some nuts away for winter, help out future generations, especially if it's driving technology advances

I understand your bosses might be ****** they are not going to get their million dollar bonuses every year (instead getting half million dollar bonuses) anymore so they pump you guys with negative vibes about competition, and point out every research paper that had anything bad to say about them.

Ultimately that is what wind/solar is....competition, I thought that is a good thing in an open market?!!

Why not love ALL of the energy sources? There are a lot of statements in these threads that seem like contradictions / baseless attacks and bringing up fake news facts.
That would be great if it was what was happening. but they are promoting wind and solar as a replacement to and at the expense of coal and gas. they are not anywhere near ready to be replacements. At this point they are small supplements. We still need to maintain focus on coal and gas - that is what got us to this level of advancement and what will keep us there for the time being.
BowhunterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 02:43 PM   #63
Leverhunter
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default

"You can’t hear turbines spinning from a mile away. Sorry, there is no argument there. The only sound they make is the blade cutting the wind. Ain’t it’s not that loud."

This is a lie. You can hear the whoosh of the blades over a mile away and it is very disrupting to what used to be a nice quiet farm.

Falling talked about a lawsuit. Where do you really think that is going with all the permits that have been approved to build them ?

The bottom line, until wind or solar can provided reliable energy 99% of the time they are a huge waste of resources. Until that time we still need to maintain reliable, fossil fuel and nuclear, generating plants. Everything else is nothing but a very expensive experiment.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 02:47 PM   #64
jnd1959
Ten Point
 
jnd1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Part of my career is a high portion of HV Transmission. I can tell you right now, there are multiple power companies who have quite a few outages on transmission lines for rebuild and tie ins to new substations. ERCOT wonít allow these outages from June to September due to the high demand for electricity in the summer months. That leaves a short amount of time to get a lot of work done in times where electricity needs in Texas are generally at its lowest. And re-energizing these lines isnít as simple as running over and flipping a switch real quick before the storm hits. So you already have that as an existing outage. Now take into account for the lines that were damaged which are out de-energized. I have crews headed out for emergency restoration right now. There is a lot more to it than what the outside seeís. The bottom line is itís a once in a century storm that our southern infrastructure wasnít prepared for. No different than Oklahoma doesnít prepare for hurricanes.
As usual, the most logical answers get ignored. We can have excess capacity, if people are willing to have a plant constructed in their back yard, which they're not. Been down that fight many times. So you either pay and plan for the 1% weather or you have scarcity when it happens. A quasi market works during the norms but not during the emergency. It's the old price gouging argument. You can either have market pricing and supply or you can hanve scarcity and fixed or semi fixed prices. You can't have both.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 03:06 PM   #65
Falling
Eight Point
 
Falling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhunterB View Post
At this point they are small supplements. .
I'd argue they are a little more than small supplements but agree fully they are small piece of the pie.

Why that small piece of the pie is getting all the blame.....is baffling.
Falling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 03:07 PM   #66
Falling
Eight Point
 
Falling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverhunter View Post

The bottom line, until wind or solar can provided reliable energy 99% of the time they are a huge waste of resources. Until that time we still need to maintain reliable, fossil fuel and nuclear, generating plants. Everything else is nothing but a very expensive experiment.

It's called battery technology, which solar/wind investment is causing side effects of us doing more research into each year. We have made astounding battery advances in the last 10-15 years.
Falling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 03:44 PM   #67
Andrew Aguechee
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Default

El General, you are correct. Wind and solar are both highly subsidized and only exist in US because of that fact. One can look at Germany, which has the reliance on wind/solar electricity generation. Average cost of electricity in Germany is $0.33/KWH where in US it averages $0.12/KWH.
Andrew Aguechee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 04:31 PM   #68
Leverhunter
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falling View Post
It's called battery technology, which solar/wind investment is causing side effects of us doing more research into each year. We have made astounding battery advances in the last 10-15 years.
We can do battery research without spending billions of dollars on an unreliable source of electricity. Are the batteries going to last 2 weeks ? What about the side effects of pollution from the batteries and manufacturing process ? We are way to far from a net gain on this to have invested so much in it. Just another green deal lie.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 05:07 PM   #69
Killer
Ten Point
 
Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Powderly, TX
Hunt In: God's green earth
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falling View Post
Energy is energy to me. A lot of coal/gas plants are down right now due to not being able to handle the cold weather as well, or were simply shut down in maintenance mode.

I blame everyone -- not just renewables, not just oil/gas/coal. It came down to decisions MEN made, not the energy types. I think we should have MORE of all of these types of energy.

So explain to me the logic here:

A) Renewables (normally around 20% of our energy : from what i've seen it's currently still providing 10-15 percent ) are not supplying their max output to the power grid. Mostly due to the fact they were not setup to handle cold weather.
--> Renewables SUCK!

B) Coal/Gas/Oil ( normally around 67% of our energy, i've not seen good numbers on this currently, will be very informative when we get them, what i do know is multiple plants have been shutoff, some have BURNED to the ground, and others were in maintance mode) is not supplying their max output to the power grid. Mostly due to the fact they were not setup to handle cold weather and the management decided to not prepare for a cold storm that was known a good week ahead of time.
--> Renewables SUCK!

I don't get the logic of holding (A) and (B).
It seems like if (A) is true, then (B) should also be held accountable.
Instead (B) team here is claiming (A) is at fault for everything!

Feels political to me.
Large Gas, Coal and Nuclear plants shouldn't be supplying 67%, they should be suppling 85 to 95% or more of the total baseload on the grid. With smaller gas/oil plants and/or solar and wind making up the rest. We have got to have a 15 to 20% reserve capacity over the peak baseload for times like this that happen every 5 to 10 years with a large cold or heat event.

The solar and wind can run all the time and produce cheaper electricity, you just can't depend on them to be there at the exact time when you need them them the most. If we do start to depend on them more this fiasco will become "NORMAL" I for one do not want that as someone that lives in the state.

This is close to how the grid was ran before deregulation. I don't think deregulation will go away to much water under the bridge. I don't think the politicians will ever admit they were wrong on this. But we have got to get more reliable generation that will be there on the 5 degree days and the 111 degree days when you need it the most because there will be a lot more of those days coming in the near future and I do not want to see this shiz show again.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 06:32 PM   #70
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I have been in wind energy since 2008. I have overseen certain scopes of work on over 5000 turbines and millions of trench feet. What is sad is how truly misinformed the general public is on wind energy and its costs/production/subsidies. There is so much hear say about wind that is completely false and quite frankly, I find it a little funny. Majority of people just repeat what they hear or read, and itís true you know, cause itís on the internet. Lol

You canít hear turbines spinning from a mile away. Sorry, there is no argument there. The only sound they make is the blade cutting the wind. Ainít itís not that loud.

Wind energy makes up less than 20% of the power grid so why wind is getting all the blame is quite funny.

Wind farms average a 5 year pay off.

Wind farms receive subsidies, just like any other fuel/generation source.

Wind farms are also profitable enough that they are relying less on government subsidies every year.

Wind farms are not going anywhere


Now Iím not just taking up for wind because it makes my paycheck every week. The fact is, it works and itís very profitable. It also creates THOUSANDS of very well paying jobs with significantly less down turns than oil and gas. Do I think it is the be all end all? Hell no. We NEED oil and gas. But alternatives are not a negative either.

It also doesnít work when it gets cold.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 06:53 PM   #71
Sleepy
Pope & Young
 
Sleepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
It also doesnít work when it gets cold.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It absolutely does. When they engineer them to handle it. Iíve watched plenty up north never miss a beat in sub zero temps and heavy frozen precipitation.

The problem we are experiencing is not due to wind energy, which makes up less that 20% of the power grid. Itís the fact that all types of generating units tripped Sunday night due to the meteorological conditions. That includes wind, coal, nuclear, and natural gas. They all failed at some point.
Sleepy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 07:40 PM   #72
Smoore12
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
It also doesnít work when it gets cold.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And now we know that. Install heaters in the hubs and heater strips on the blades.
Smoore12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 07:40 PM   #73
Falling
Eight Point
 
Falling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
An official with the Electric Reliability Council of Texas said Tuesday afternoon that 16 gigawatts of renewable energy generation, mostly wind generation, were offline. Nearly double that, 30 gigawatts, had been lost from thermal sources, which includes gas, coal and nuclear energy.
<-- first info i've seen ....there you have it folks, wow gas/coal really dropping the ball here. Dropping 30 gigawatts due to cold weather. We need to abandon oil and coal boys!!!! If we are going to blame Wind for dropping gigawatts we gotta be fair here and blame gas/coal as well. Guess we gotta figure out some new power supply since gas/coal failed so hard here, obviously it sucks. /s (just same silly argument you guys are making about wind)

Last edited by Falling; 02-17-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Falling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 07:43 PM   #74
Artos
Pope & Young
 
Artos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Deep South TX
Hunt In: Deep South TX
Default

In 2004 it snowed on Christmas eve & it was colder than what we experienced on this event...the rgv had some power issues but nothing like what we are dealing with now. Nor do I recall a state wide problem.

Same with 89 which was WAY WORSE!! I don't know what is going on with the grid but something changed. I have a neighbor down the street who looses power at dusk every night since sunday.

Our windmills are fine down here...something smells.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 08:04 PM   #75
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoore12 View Post
And now we know that. Install heaters in the hubs and heater strips on the blades.

More money!!

I passed 100 wind turbines Friday and Saturday, and not 1 was turning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 08:05 PM   #76
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default Here we go..HIGHER Utilities Coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
In 2004 it snowed on Christmas eve & it was colder than what we experienced on this event...the rgv had some power issues but nothing like what we are dealing with now. Nor do I recall a state wide problem.

Same with 89 which was WAY WORSE!! I don't know what is going on with the grid but something changed. I have a neighbor down the street who looses power at dusk every night since sunday.

Our windmills are fine down here...something smells.

There were a whole **** ton fewer homes in Texas then, and it was NOT colder those years across the majority of the state.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 08:34 PM   #77
Artos
Pope & Young
 
Artos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Deep South TX
Hunt In: Deep South TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
There were a whole **** ton fewer homes in Texas then, and it was NOT colder those years across the majority of the state.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
like I said...I don't understand the grid entirely & sounds like something has changed. Texas seems to be grid independent from quick research.

It was MOST certainly colder HERE in the valley in those years amigo...how that translated to the state's past grid doesn't matter but I wouldn't have traveled north to warm up!!!

In 2004 on Christmas day there were busted pipes everywhere when I headed to mom's & I threw rocks that bounced across Delta lake in 89...I'm no Johnny but the rest of the state was worse I suspect. I really do need to do a little write up on the 83 freeze thread explaining my ordeal in 89. I was in the very far NW corner of Missouri (misery) when that front hit me loading my bronco up to head home at 4am.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 08:37 PM   #78
Bear Charge
Eight Point
 
Bear Charge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: East Texas
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

They always go higher.
Bear Charge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 08:55 PM   #79
Leverhunter
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoore12 View Post
And now we know that. Install heaters in the hubs and heater strips on the blades.
It still isn't worth the investment. The farm I referenced in a previous post is in Minnesota and their wind turbines are equipped for cold weather.

Y'all go ahead and hook your house up to only a wind generator and I'll hook mine up to a gas plant. Let me know how that's working when the wind has blown for 2 days and your batteries are dead.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 09:02 PM   #80
Leverhunter
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
In 2004 it snowed on Christmas eve & it was colder than what we experienced on this event...the rgv had some power issues but nothing like what we are dealing with now. Nor do I recall a state wide problem.

Same with 89 which was WAY WORSE!! I don't know what is going on with the grid but something changed. I have a neighbor down the street who looses power at dusk every night since sunday.

Our windmills are fine down here...something smells.

That smell is the smell of taxpayer provided subsidies for experimental projects that failed. AKA money burned away for nothing.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 10:57 PM   #81
RiverRat1
Pope & Young
 
RiverRat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Leander
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

One thing is for sure. If a liberal POS is pushing something it's highly likely a bunch of BS.


Now someone "in the know" tell us how much each industry is subsidized percentage wise. I'd wager a ton of money wind gets 3x the money as oil % wise. But certain people I will assume will avoid this for some odd reason.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2021, 11:14 PM   #82
175gr7.62
Ten Point
 
175gr7.62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hallsville, TX
Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Besides that, it takes more
Energy to build a turbine than it will ever produce in its lifetime.

Itís like taking the sulphur out of diesel, to make it burn 5% cleaner...which lowered mileage by 12%. Or putting ded systems on Diesel engines to reduce emissions, and creating BILLIONS of tons of waste (that took fossil fuels to make), to reduce ďsmokeĒ...not actual pollution.

****ing morons.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you 99.9% of the time but your first statement above is wrong. Turbines pay for themselves very quickly.....when they are running. What we are seeing though is what happens when they donít run. 2% current production this week of 20000 MW that was supposed to replace coal, lignite, and natural gas.

Your comments about diesel are spot on though.

We need about 3 nuclear plants running in Texas and all this would be a wash.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 09:26 AM   #83
Sleepy
Pope & Young
 
Sleepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
More money!!

I passed 100 wind turbines Friday and Saturday, and not 1 was turning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are multiple reasons why they may not be turning.

I think a fair question is why did nuclear, natural gas, and coal go down also. We already know why we lost some solar and wind. What about the others? Over 180 power generation plants went offline at some point.
Sleepy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 09:39 AM   #84
trjones87
Pope & Young
 
trjones87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio
Default

managed getting by with only using a space heater...havent turned on the house furnace once. Im sure my bill will still be 800
trjones87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 10:14 AM   #85
camoclad
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: fort worth
Hunt In: central tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
There are multiple reasons why they may not be turning.

I think a fair question is why did nuclear, natural gas, and coal go down also. We already know why we lost some solar and wind. What about the others? Over 180 power generation plants went offline at some point.
Good question

Could it be those industries are putting their resources into renewable startups and neglecting maintenance and upkeep on existing traditional plants?
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 02:43 PM   #86
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 03:00 PM   #87
K. Lane
Ten Point
 
K. Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dirty Bay
Hunt In: Kendall County Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Part of my career is a high portion of HV Transmission. I can tell you right now, there are multiple power companies who have quite a few outages on transmission lines for rebuild and tie ins to new substations. ERCOT wonít allow these outages from June to September due to the high demand for electricity in the summer months. That leaves a short amount of time to get a lot of work done in times where electricity needs in Texas are generally at its lowest. And re-energizing these lines isnít as simple as running over and flipping a switch real quick before the storm hits. So you already have that as an existing outage. Now take into account for the lines that were damaged which are out de-energized. I have crews headed out for emergency restoration right now. There is a lot more to it than what the outside seeís. The bottom line is itís a once in a century storm that our southern infrastructure wasnít prepared for. No different than Oklahoma doesnít prepare for hurricanes.


I agree with all but one sentence here itís not a once in a century storm December of 1983, December 1989 were worse.. January of 85 was nearly as bad and we never had the power outages that we did this time
K. Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #88
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Lane View Post
I agree with all but one sentence here itís not a once in a century storm December of 1983, December 1989 were worse.. January of 85 was nearly as bad and we never had the power outages that we did this time

We didnít have the population then either, the urban sprawl, etc.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 03:39 PM   #89
jomw10
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
The depletion allowance is the only significant oil and gas tax break and it is for discovery, not production or power.

Are wind/solar farms paying into the Land and Water conservation fund?

You are bragging that wind/solar is only down to 50% production. What percentage of their production are fossil fuel plants down to in the state?

" As of Wednesday, 46,000 megawatts of generation were offline, with 185 generating plants tripped. ERCOT officials said 28,000 megawatts came from coal, gas and nuclear plants, and 18,000 megawatts were from solar and wind. "


ERCOT report on generating capacity listed the top sources of power in the state:

Natural gas (51%)
Wind (24.8%)
Coal (13.4%)
Nuclear (4.9%)
Solar (3.8%)
Hydro, biomass-fired units (1.9%)
jomw10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 03:45 PM   #90
BuckTrail
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I would rather pay higher prices and have the power vs not having it.
How about pay what we are paying and have the power? Don't let them brainwash you into believing there's not enough money being made to fix the issue. Sounds like the Beltway 8, once it's done paying for it will be free, it's been paid for long ago and where is millions of dollars it makes yearly going???? Can we fix some issues with that money or is it just to pay the "workers" at the booth for their horrible customer service!?
BuckTrail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 04:00 PM   #91
K. Lane
Ten Point
 
K. Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dirty Bay
Hunt In: Kendall County Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
We didnít have the population then either, the urban sprawl, etc.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree and wasnít disputing anything other than the ďstorm of the centuryĒ part
This is the 3rd since the 80ís. So while rare, itís not unheard of and it will happen again, probably more than once, in our lifetimes
Folks need to take stock of their individual family situations and be prepared
K. Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 06:13 PM   #92
STX_Shooter
Ten Point
 
STX_Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Benito
Hunt In: Starr County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You stated that a turbine never pays for itself, that is incorrect. The old farm I worked at had 112 towers with a life span of 25+ years. The wind farm paid for itself within 5 years. So thatís 20 years of money coming in, like I mentioned on another post 90 towers at our farm that weíre running during the freeze were making 1.3 million every hour. That price lasted for days. So imagine that, I understand people think theyíre a eye sore or they arenít into green energy but the truth is most of us in the field are not tree hugging hippies. We get paid well to do a job that most canít do.
STX_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 07:39 PM   #93
Sleepy
Pope & Young
 
Sleepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STX_Shooter View Post
You stated that a turbine never pays for itself, that is incorrect. The old farm I worked at had 112 towers with a life span of 25+ years. The wind farm paid for itself within 5 years. So thatís 20 years of money coming in, like I mentioned on another post 90 towers at our farm that weíre running during the freeze were making 1.3 million every hour. That price lasted for days. So imagine that, I understand people think theyíre a eye sore or they arenít into green energy but the truth is most of us in the field are not tree hugging hippies. We get paid well to do a job that most canít do.
Iíve been doing it for 13 years. There is a reason Iím still doing it.
Sleepy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 07:46 PM   #94
Leverhunter
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STX_Shooter View Post
You stated that a turbine never pays for itself, that is incorrect. The old farm I worked at had 112 towers with a life span of 25+ years. The wind farm paid for itself within 5 years. So thatís 20 years of money coming in, like I mentioned on another post 90 towers at our farm that weíre running during the freeze were making 1.3 million every hour. That price lasted for days. So imagine that, I understand people think theyíre a eye sore or they arenít into green energy but the truth is most of us in the field are not tree hugging hippies. We get paid well to do a job that most canít do.
Good you're getting paid well for it. I'm sure it's not an easy job. The problem is, it's still an unreliable source of power. Most people have too much on the line to depend on an unreliable supply.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 08:18 PM   #95
W-O
Ten Point
 
W-O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Teague, Tx
Hunt In: Hilda, Tx
Default

ERCOT is starting to sound a lot like the levy agency in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina when the levies and pumps failed.

Solar doesn't work when covered with ice and snow. Period.

Wind, I know it is used in cold climates like Norway and Germany but what has been installed here in TEXAS is not working in these cold conditions and should not be relied on for core production.

Coal, when plants have tried to convert from local dirty coal to cleaner Wyoming coal greenies from Commifornia come in and protest to have them stopped and eventually shut down because they can't meet increasing regulations. 3 of the 4 coal plants in the area have shut down in the last few years.
Nuclear, one of the 4 reactors went down due to a sensor freezing. Safety protocols kicked in and shut the reactor down for safety. The Navy runs everything bigger than a jon boat on nuclear generators with 20 year olds operating them. When is the last time we heard of the Navy having a problem with a reactor. I think we need at least 2 if not 3 new nuclear plants with 4 to 6 reactors available as core energy or as needed.

I don't work in the energy industry but I am not an idiot. The independent agency over the Texas electrical grid failed to be reliable even though reliable is in their name. They need to be investigated and steps taken to ensure this never happens again.
W-O is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 08:21 PM   #96
CoachS
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: La Vernia
Hunt In: Floresville , Stockdale
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
Texas is flaring off billions dollars of the cleanest energy natural gas. Need natural gas pipelines and refurbished facilities and get rid of the China made wind turbines and solar crap. Screw Bill Gates, slow Joe, aoc, and Kamala toe.
This right here!!!!!!!!!!
CoachS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 08:36 PM   #97
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default Here we go..HIGHER Utilities Coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STX_Shooter View Post
You stated that a turbine never pays for itself, that is incorrect. The old farm I worked at had 112 towers with a life span of 25+ years. The wind farm paid for itself within 5 years. So thatís 20 years of money coming in, like I mentioned on another post 90 towers at our farm that weíre running during the freeze were making 1.3 million every hour. That price lasted for days. So imagine that, I understand people think theyíre a eye sore or they arenít into green energy but the truth is most of us in the field are not tree hugging hippies. We get paid well to do a job that most canít do.

I didnít state it didnít pay for itself, I stated it takes more fossil fuels and energy to build the ugly *******, than it will produce. Now I will admit that is something I was told, by someone in the wind energy business.

Doesnít change the fact that itís in sustainable, and un reliable, without subsidies...in the long run...or that nat gas is still a better option.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 09:03 PM   #98
STX_Shooter
Ten Point
 
STX_Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Benito
Hunt In: Starr County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverhunter View Post
Good you're getting paid well for it. I'm sure it's not an easy job. The problem is, it's still an unreliable source of power. Most people have too much on the line to depend on an unreliable supply.
As a technician my job is to keep them spinning, if the demand is high the company makes millions a hour. If itís low we ainít making a ton or we get curtailed. But no matter what I still got to climb 300 feet if itís for millions or not. Wind and solar make up 20% of electricity generated in Texas. Turbines had nothing to do with blackout or anything else thatís all propaganda...
STX_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 09:06 PM   #99
STX_Shooter
Ten Point
 
STX_Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Benito
Hunt In: Starr County
Default

Agree to disagree...
STX_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 09:12 PM   #100
Kingfisher789
Ten Point
 
Kingfisher789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Austin. Jim Ned Creek
Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I didnít state it didnít pay for itself, I stated it takes more fossil fuels and energy to build the ugly *******, than it will produce. Now I will admit that is something I was told, by someone in the wind energy business.

Doesnít change the fact that itís in sustainable, and un reliable, without subsidies...in the long run...or that nat gas is still a better option.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1.3 million USA dollar an hour? Iím thinking they paid for 3 days ago ...I ainít real good at some math but..
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com