Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-14-2021, 08:39 AM   #1
critter69
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can
Default Anxiety help ?

Any one on here have had a bad time dealing with anxiety ? The owner of the company I worked for killed him self, so we lost our jobs. Then my identity gets jacked, then find out our elderly neighbor ( like a dad to us) is going through kidney and liver failure, and my whole world came crashing down. Now I am terribly afraid of going to a job interview or anything, my mind just keeps racing and racing. Doc did prescribe some pills, but dang it seems to be worse . Some say it will get worse before the pills start helping, some say the pills donít work ( God I hope they are wrong ! ) I pray and ask God for assistance, but wondering if others have dealt with this, and maybe how they got over it ?
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 08:54 AM   #2
BeetleGuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman, TX / Alread, AR

Pm sent
BeetleGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Good luck MrCritter. Prayer sent.

Exercise creates and releases alot of hormones that do the body, mind and soul good.
And its free.

Keep on keepin on.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 09:05 AM   #4
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Good luck MrCritter. Prayer sent.

Exercise creates and releases alot of hormones that do the body, mind and soul good.
And its free.

Keep on keepin on.
Money right here ^^^.
Gotta force yourself most times, because there will never be any motivation imo.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 09:10 AM   #5
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

Prayer sent^ for your peace of mind.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #6
fbchunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Thompsons

We all experience it at some level, so don’t feel alone. Praying and exercise can help you. God, we come together in prayer for this man. We ask for your complete and supernatural healing, protection, and provision for him. That he can lay his anxiety at your feet, and find peace through you. Praying all this through your son, our mighty Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen
fbchunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #7
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

Max Lucado has a great study about it.

https://www.studygateway.com/online-...e-lord-always/
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 09:15 AM   #8
DeerGeek
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbchunter View Post
We all experience it at some level, so donít feel alone. Praying and exercise can help you. God, we come together in prayer for this man. We ask for your complete and supernatural healing, protection, and provision for him. That he can lay his anxiety at your feet, and find peace through you. Praying all this through your son, our mighty Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen
Amen. Prayers sent.
DeerGeek is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 09:16 AM   #9
outlook8
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Exercise
outlook8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 09:18 AM   #10
TwoHighways
Eight Point

Five day fast
TwoHighways is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 09:21 AM   #11
Johnny44
Ten Point

Extra strength Tylenol and exercise is the best kept secret
Johnny44 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #12
Mauler
Four Point

Like a lot of other guys said, get out and exercise, or just get out and do something. Just getting outside and moving around helps

Focus on one think at a time one day at a time

The worse thing you can do is nothing. Youíve got to dust yourself off and get it done, one piece at a time and one day at a time.

Donít depend on medicine to fix it. It may help and it may not. There are people in the world who love you and will help you. But you have to communicate with them and help them help you.

I have anxiety all the time. I just force myself to push thru it. People in life have pushed for me and every time I get overwhelmed I remember it and it inspires me to push for myself.
Mauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 10:01 AM   #13
HoustonR6ryda
Ten Point

Hunt In: the woods

1st Peter 5:6-8 ..man I fight this in prayer daily...you can beat this bad season
HoustonR6ryda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 10:02 AM   #14
BmacBmac1
Pope & Young

Continue to seek God, the ultimate healer.

I am available ANYTIME if you need anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BmacBmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #15
Bro. Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill country

Exercise, and get alone with God..
Be still and and ask Him to help clear your mind, to minister to your heart and mind.
Do Not focus on all that’s gone wrong.
Remember the good things and all the circumstances your facing..
A friend once told me.
You got to go thru to get thru.. because there isn’t drive thru for a break thru!!
Hang on man.. there is Victory on the other side!!
If you need a ear.. pm me!!
Bro. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 10:28 AM   #16
SharpEnd
Four Point

Amen. Bro. Bill said it well. Prayers up.
SharpEnd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 10:32 AM   #17
Ksig512
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over this great state

PM sent , been down this road before.
Ksig512 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 10:50 AM   #18
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. No meds and most folks only need 2 or 3 sessions to get relief. It works!

Edit: Prayer, bible reading and exercise increase the results tremendously.
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 10:56 AM   #19
skinsfan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Goliad/Medina County

Been through it, throw the pills in the trash, they made my life a living hell for six months. Exercise, therapy, family, god, and Time. It will get better.
skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 11:00 AM   #20
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: wherever i can

i went through some things when i was younger and the meds did nothing but make me lifeless. as many others have said, exercise does wonders. i also read the bible and listen to positive thinking types of podcasts about dealing with adversity. Marcus Luttrell has one called team never quit thats pretty good and Ray Lewis used to as well
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #21
bow4my2
Pope & Young

Pm sent
bow4my2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #22
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield

The Headspace app is good for guided meditation, and it helped me quite a bit. Just to observe the anxiety as a thing separate from me and not as something that is consuming me. Doesn’t always mean it will be a snap of the fingers type solution but it helps with recognizing it instead of feeling helpless
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #23
skinsfan
Eight Point

And stay off of the internet!
Old 02-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #24
Lee230
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX & OK Panhandle

Prayers for you Brother. Dig in and get through it, this to shall pass.
Lee230 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 11:37 AM   #25
MikeyG
Ten Point

Drop all alcohol intake. Thatís my number one fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 11:49 AM   #26
Johnny44
Ten Point

During the early part of the day you can take Pseudoephedrine with the Tylenol but it will disturb sleeping patterns.

I recommend the Tylenol only if it keeps emotions in check which it does for most folk.

Last edited by Johnny44; 02-14-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:54 AM   #27
Ksig512
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over this great state

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan View Post
Been through it, throw the pills in the trash, they made my life a living hell for six months. Exercise, therapy, family, god, and Time. It will get better.
Telling people to throw their pills in the trash is the most ignorant thing i have read on here , worst advise ever. You have know idea what medication was prescribed for what mental issue.
Ksig512 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 11:56 AM   #28
rubicon51
Six Point

Hunt In: Webb County

x2 on the headspace app, it really helps. And depending on what the doc prescribed, it can take between 2-6 weeks to kick in, but it is proven to work. And as someone else mentioned, if you can get into cognitive behavioral therapy, that will really be most beneficial.
rubicon51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 11:57 AM   #29
TylerDale
Four Point

Hunt In: Victoria, Jackson, La Salle

Exercise and Stoicism
TylerDale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #30
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

The diet part of handling anxiety is important too. Eat better. Eat health. Eliminate or severally cut back on alcohol intake.
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 12:01 PM   #31
Johnny44
Ten Point

Tylenol kicks in within forty minutes, dulls emotions, and is cheap and fairly safe.

Poor mans Meth

Last edited by Johnny44; 02-14-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #32
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Been there. Took medication in college but it didn't help. Had terrible sleeping disorder on top of it too. What does help is coming to the realization that anxiety is triggered by thinking about the future, and the things that might go wrong. Learn to focus on the present and work on the things you can control now. It will make you feel better about the things you can't control later.
Unfriend / unfollow anyone in your life or on social media that triggers negative thoughts. You don't need that in your life.
Make more time for hobbies that interest you and that you are good at.
Exercise helps because it can make you feel better all over. Although when I'm really upset about something it's hard to get motivated to work out. I have to be in the right mindset to push myself through a good work out. And it's hard to get there when the mind is cloudy with negative thoughts. When I'm having trouble with motivation I usually just do cardio or yoga because I don't have to push myself as hard but still get the benefit of exercise. Or I make a deal with myself - work out for 20 minutes and if I still feel crappy after 20 minutes, I allow myself to stop for the day. If I feel good at 20 minutes, I push myself through another 10 or 15. 95% of the time I don't stop at 20.
Good luck
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 12:11 PM   #33
Johnny44
Ten Point

Take the Tylenol, exercise, and think the anxiety trigger all the way through until the end.

If you are afraid of financial collapse, think about yourself in the worst case scenario

Afraid of death, think about the moment of death

And so forth
Old 02-14-2021, 12:11 PM   #34
HCGedge3
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shackelford County TX

Hang in there buddy. I’ve been there also. The meds def help. They take a little time but they will work. Prayers for you! Keep the Faith in the LORD!!!
HCGedge3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 12:15 PM   #35
RedBear78
Six Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

Oh man I hate to hear what your going through.I’ve been very ill the last few years wife divorced me a year ago my work abilities were affected by sickness so money was cut in half then COVID and reduced business,the Rocky man spotted fever reeked havoc on my brain and emotions. Prayer,exercise bible reading and trying to still help others has been getting me through.I’m lucky to have some good friends who gave me awesome support and backed me 100 and ten percent.Pour your heart out to your confidants don’t keep it bottled up allow yourself to be helped there will be plenty of opportunity to return the favor as time goes on.I got really bad of mentally suicidal cravings were daily I had extreme chemical imbalances and absences it took a bit docs finally figured out how to help.Just hang in there at all cost it will be ok! There are a lot of great suggestions on here remember your Heavenly Father Jehovah he will sustain you and provide what you need,cling to him and meditate and pray in the power of Jesus name.I appreciate 1Peter 4:6-11 and Luke 12:6,7 when I’m stressed or distressed.Work in harmony with your prayers stay busy.Hang in there brother you are in our prayers.
RedBear78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 12:16 PM   #36
DEREKG22
Six Point

Hunt In: Seeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauler View Post
Like a lot of other guys said, get out and exercise, or just get out and do something. Just getting outside and moving around helps

The worse thing you can do is nothing. Youíve got to dust yourself off and get it done, one piece at a time and one day at a time.

Donít depend on medicine to fix it. It may help and it may not. There are people in the world who love you and will help you. But you have to communicate with them and help them help you.

I have anxiety all the time. I just force myself to push thru it. People in life have pushed for me and every time I get overwhelmed I remember it and it inspires me to push for myself.

This seems like the best advise one could give...find relaxation in the things u love to do.....go wet a line or sit in the woods....I know thats what I do want to do every chance I get....unfortunately executing it is the part that gives me anxiety when mother nature, work, or fatherhood doesn't allow it to all fall into place....
DEREKG22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 12:25 PM   #37
Acameron52
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Sorry man. Hope it works out!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 12:48 PM   #38
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano

I'm praying for you sir. I have really bad anxiety that is helped by prescription medication, but even so I have my days where it just seems overwhelming. Even with the medications, I still get the occasional panic attack. When I'm home from working offshore, I talk to a professional therapist, still see my doctor about the anxiety medication and rely on my faith in God to see me through it all. I will include you in my prayers tonight and remember all will be taken care of in God's Time.
LlanoHunter10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #39
skinsfan
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksig512 View Post
Telling people to throw their pills in the trash is the most ignorant thing i have read on here , worst advise ever. You have know idea what medication was prescribed for what mental issue.
Seems like he was pretty clear, anxiety. In a lot of medical professionals opinion the Most over medicated conditions in the world. I think your post is a little harsh. Speak with your doctor before throwing them in the trash. Have a great day buddy, it will get better!
Old 02-14-2021, 01:05 PM   #40
camoclad
Ten Point

Hunt In: central tx

Hey man. Get with a Dr. that will do a genetics test BEFORE they prescribe anything else!

it can show which lineage of medicine your body can take (and those you are down right allergic to). We dont want to exacerbate your struggles.

The above suggestions are good. It will take a mixture of all the above, but those medications are harsh and it's easy to make it worse.

Good luck, remember, that anxiety cant kill you. No matter what your heart and mind are saying.
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 02:25 PM   #41
jmhartt
Eight Point

I have been in your shoes. I lost a good paying job due to depression and anxiety and was unemployed for 11 months. All with a wife of only 3 years and a newborn child. Looking back, we only made it thru by the grace of God. Keep praying. I will pray for you as well but when you think you have prayed enough pray some more.
Find a good psychiatrist/psychologist or someone to talk to. If you don’t like them find another that you do like. I questioned whether my medication was working as well and then found a psychiatrist that did the genetic testing like others have mentioned and he lined me out. Go see them and tell them everything as often as you think you need whether that be once a week or once a month.
Diet is important as well like others on here have said. First and foremost if you are drinking you have to limit that or cut it out completely. Caffeine was the biggy for me that often goes unnoticed. When I cut out the ton of caffeine I was drinking daily I noticed a change.
Above all know that this is only temporary—you WILL get better. There are so many people out there and on this website willing to help. If you’d like to PM me I will give you my number if you ever need to talk.
jmhartt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #42
Hooverfb
Ten Point

I had anxiety and didnt even know it lol. I've since gotten better at recognizing it. I'd just hard nose through it before, until it felt like a heart attack and laughed at the docs when they said no you have anxiety and stress. Sometimes we have to hard nose it, but should try to help ourselves. Exercise, not just running, lifting too. Lifting helps our body actually be more capable of handling the cortisol/insulin fluctuations, cardio kind of helps our capacity and regulation of it. I wasnt lifting, but was running 5-10 miles regularly, with lots of coffee. I didnt think how I was spiking cortisol. Then i worked on strerching/doing yoga. That's been a total game changer for me for stress. Then what everyone above had to say about getting with God.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 04:28 PM   #43
Tommyh
Pope & Young

The meds only do half the job. Without retraining your brain through some form of guided therapy, when you quit taking the meds, nothing has changed.

Good luck and take care of yourself.
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #44
jck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

I'm in the same boat. could use some answers/PM's too
jck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 05:19 PM   #45
STX_Shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

I know the feeling all too well. I’m still trying to figure it all out myself.
STX_Shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 05:47 PM   #46
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter69 View Post
Any one on here have had a bad time dealing with anxiety ? The owner of the company I worked for killed him self, so we lost our jobs. Then my identity gets jacked, then find out our elderly neighbor ( like a dad to us) is going through kidney and liver failure, and my whole world came crashing down. Now I am terribly afraid of going to a job interview or anything, my mind just keeps racing and racing. Doc did prescribe some pills, but dang it seems to be worse . Some say it will get worse before the pills start helping, some say the pills donít work ( God I hope they are wrong ! ) I pray and ask God for assistance, but wondering if others have dealt with this, and maybe how they got over it ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbchunter View Post
We all experience it at some level, so donít feel alone. Praying and exercise can help you. God, we come together in prayer for this man. We ask for your complete and supernatural healing, protection, and provision for him. That he can lay his anxiety at your feet, and find peace through you. Praying all this through your son, our mighty Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jck View Post
I'm in the same boat. could use some answers/PM's too
Quote:
Originally Posted by STX_Shooter View Post
I know the feeling all too well. Iím still trying to figure it all out myself.
You are not alone. I am still figuring it out, sometimes I feel like I have overcame, other times not so much. Reading the promises of God in the bible helps, excercise helps. Prayers for you and all of us that struggle with this.

DO NOT CATASTROPHIZE. What is that? Read about it here: https://www.healthline.com/health/an...atastrophizing
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 05:49 PM   #47
ThisLadyHunts
Eight Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

A number of years ago, I went through an especially traumatic event with a family member who had cancer. Every single day of the 18 months of treatment protocols--surgery, then chemotherapy, followed by more surgery, then radiation, then even more surgery and more chemotherapy--I was in a constant state of acute anxiety.

Every day brought a new crisis, every small victory was followed by a more serious set back. Every day, for a year-and-a-half, I woke up waiting for the sword to drop, knowing that it would, and simply wondering what form it would take. I won’t say that I was “a mess” because I wasn’t. I did not have the luxury of allowing my fear, my grief, and my anger to show as others needed me to be sturdy. Constantly worrying about the emotional health of others was also stressful.

I share this with you to say that I believe I’ve been where you are. I know what it’s like to live with extreme and prolonged stress and I know what it’s like to feel hopeless...utterly and abysmally hopeless. Sadly, I have no answers for you but, for what it’s worth, here are a few pearls of wisdom that helped me get through my situation:

First, a word on medications. It’s been my observation that SSRI’s, SNRI’s, benzodiazepines (classifications of drugs used for depression and anxiety) tend only to work on a condition called Generalized Anxiety Disorder (for example, people who tend to “easily fly off the handle,” those with OCD, perfectionists, etc.). I have never seen them work for situational anxiety, which is what I believe you’re dealing with (my non-professional opinion). However, if you’re already on one of these medications, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DISCONTINUE TAKING THEM without your doctor’s guidance as they can cause acute and severe withdrawal.

Several have mentioned the benefits of exercise and I believe it can really help with depression and anxiety but, for me, I simply didn’t have the bandwidth (nor the time) to pursue it. What did help me was walking--no, strolling actually. I walked miles and miles of hospital hallways, breathing deeply and just...walking. I still do this when I’m stressed and I still find it soothing.

“Sometimes, life just sucks.” At a certain point during treatment, I was especially frustrated with our progress and tired of never getting straight answers (turns out there really weren’t any). Finally, our doctor looked at me and said, “All I really know to tell you is that sometimes life just sucks.” And, while it caused him great pain to say this to me, hearing it was oddly cathartic. Acknowledging that sometimes things just suck, accepting that there’s nothing you can do about it, and understanding that it’s no one’s fault was, for me...well, cathartic, I guess. When I began to accept the situation I was in--watching a loved one slowly die--it allowed me to handle it with a little more equanimity.

While I have never been, I believe cognitive behavioral therapy works. I have a number of “self-defensive” behaviors I rely on when faced with a crisis (i.e., strolling), and they’ve always worked for me. I won’t enumerate them here because what works for me may not work for you. However, there are people out there who can help you and I’d highly recommend giving one of them a call.

And finally, the other side of the “life sucks” coin is that, one day, this will all pass. You’ll have walked through the fire, singed, but alive. Until that time comes, my final word of advice to you is to distract yourself by staying busy. Focus on what you’re doing in that moment and worry about “the problem” later. More often than not, by the time you get around to dealing with the problem, much, if not all of it, will have resolved itself.

You’ll get through this. You will because you have no choice. You’ll come out the other side, somewhat the worse for wear, but also older, wiser, and with a clearer perspective on life; one that is solid and sound because it was honed by hardship.

Good luck to you, my friend. Life is going to "suck" for awhile, but you’re going to get through this.

Last edited by ThisLadyHunts; 02-14-2021 at 05:57 PM.
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 06:01 PM   #48
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

If nothing works see if your Doc will prescribe some Lorazepam. I had bad anxiety attacks for a year are two and it was a wonder drug for me.

Last edited by doghouse; 02-14-2021 at 06:36 PM.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2021, 06:04 PM   #49
Johnny44
Ten Point

I hate these threads where an OP doesn’t really respond. So many suicides could be prevented by immediately taking a couple of Tylenol extra strength every four or five hours.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:14 PM   #50
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny44 View Post
I hate these threads where an OP doesnít really respond. So many suicides could be prevented by immediately taking a couple of Tylenol extra strength every four or five hours.
I think you need to chill with that crap. Not every problem can be solved with your backwoods army doctor bs.
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top