No announcement yet.

Cutting a Propane Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m following along. I’ve got two tanks I’ve wanted to make something with and couldn’t convince myself that I wouldn’t die in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
      Curious as to what those would be used for? I’ve never heard of them.
      The side for liquid is for filling other tanks. A TBHer cut one in front of my welding shop. One end the water started running out when cutting, the other end, not, and it was down hill. If it hadn't of been a very, very old tank, it would have been bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
        The side for liquid is for filling other tanks. A TBHer cut one in front of my welding shop. One end the water started running out when cutting, the other end, not, and it was down hill. If it hadn't of been a very, very old tank, it would have been bad.

Wow. Bet that was a crazy sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 500 gallon smoker in the diy section I did years ago. I filled her up with soapy water and drained 3 or 4Xs. Smelled the whole block up like mercaptan. Cut it full and made a bit of a mess but better safe than sorry. In for pics of final product Dale. Cut for hinges/ weld hinges then cut rest of door. Lesson learned the hard way.

Comment

I couldn't get the valve off of a small "empty" propane bottle so I cut the brass valve slowly with a hack saw. About pooped my pants when I broke through and it let out a tiny bit of residual pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by rockyraider View Post
              So are ya'll saying to fill with water, let sit, drain water, and then cut an empty tank with a cutoff wheel? I have one that I need to cut into and want to use a wheel rather than a torch. I've seen guys on Youtube do it while they are still full of water, then just have to be careful about keeping cords out of the water.
              So are ya'll saying to cut it while its still full of water or drain and cut empty?

Comment

Any update? Dale do you still have eyebrows?

Comment

The one we did we got rid of all the valves and let it sit in the pasture for a few months. Used a torch and no water. BUT, this tank hadnt been used in 30 years

Comment

Last update from Dale was 3 days ago. Dale are ya still with us?

Comment

Tank

If you got valve out and fill it with soap and water for a while your good. May be drill a hole on the other end. If your scared say your scared. Just stick a piece of a long piece on a stick and pass it over it. Again if your scared. If took valve out and fill it with what you said I promise your good to go. I have done 2000 gal. gasoline tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DRettele View Post
                        Last update from Dale was 3 days ago. Dale are ya still with us?

B-Moe, Dale's wife, the one who holds Dale's life insurance policy, may be driving around in a new Lexus right now.

Comment

If you have it full of water, drain it. Then have an opening or two you’re good to go.
                          Propane shouldn’t have enough residual left over that you’d need to worry about it.

Comment

We filled with water and then drained. We connected a hose off of the exhaust on a truck and let it run for about 10 minutes and then cut. No worries. Worked great. Had a friend fill his with water but left a little air space at the top. Had to clean his drawers when he cut it.

Comment

I left the tank full and cut with cutoff wheel. All was good.

Comment

I'm ready to go, I've just been to busy goofing off to get started working.

I just found out it's Christmas on Friday too, so I'm a little behind on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X