Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-02-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX, North TX, & SE Oklahoma
Angry Engine Replacement on Wife's New Car

My wife bought a little Ford Escape with a 1.5L Turbo new in March of 2019. It now has about 30k miles on it and started have some misfiring and hesitation along with a check engine light. She made an appointment with Planet Ford in Humble since it would be several weeks before the local dealership in Livingston could look at it. She dropped it off last Friday and they called her today to pick up.... with its new engine! It turns out Ford has had TONS of these leaking coolant into the cylinders. There were something like 40k engines on backorder a while back if I read correctly. After she called me this morning to tell me what they had to do, I did a quick google search on this issue. It turns out these engines are total garbage and Ford has known it for several years. I read multiple accounts of engines needing to be replaced a second time a year or so down the road. I'm glad they put a new engine in it while it was under warranty but now I'm concerned about how long it will last. I hate taking a hit on trading it in but would y'all trade it in if it were your wife's car?
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
My wife bought a little Ford Escape with a 1.5L Turbo new in March of 2019. It now has about 30k miles on it and started have some misfiring and hesitation along with a check engine light. She made an appointment with Planet Ford in Humble since it would be several weeks before the local dealership in Livingston could look at it. She dropped it off last Friday and they called her today to pick up.... with its new engine! It turns out Ford has had TONS of these leaking coolant into the cylinders. There were something like 40k engines on backorder a while back if I read correctly. After she called me this morning to tell me what they had to do, I did a quick google search on this issue. It turns out these engines are total garbage and Ford has known it for several years. I read multiple accounts of engines needing to be replaced a second time a year or so down the road. I'm glad they put a new engine in it while it was under warranty but now I'm concerned about how long it will last. I hate taking a hit on trading it in but would y'all trade it in if it were your wife's car?
Sounds like a great time to get rid of it
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #3
Bowhuntingobsession
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comal & Bee Co.

In a heartbeat! You'll take a bigger hit down the road if you don't do it now.
Bowhuntingobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #4
JFFB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Pointe Coupee
Default Fords

Quote:
Stay away from Fords.
JFFB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 03:55 PM   #5
tx_basser
Eight Point

Hunt In: Any place Public

they replaced the engine in my daughters 2013 Escape for the same problem and never had a problem after that... just a couple of sensors that seemed to nag that model. They offered me an extended warranty but I deferred and drove it another year and sold it.
tx_basser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 03:56 PM   #6
MacDaddy67
Pope & Young

The 6th word in your paragraph answered your problem
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 04:38 PM   #7
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

I would trade, but I bet you take a bit hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 04:41 PM   #8
Mission408
Six Point

Hunt In: Brownwood

I woukd trade it in asap!
Mission408 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #9
Eastwood
Six Point

Keep it. I have a buddy that bought a 2017 Ram ecodiesel and it threw 2 rods at 7,000 miles just driving down the road. Everyone told him to trade it after Ram put a new engine in it. He now has over 40,000 trouble free miles.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 04:46 PM   #10
KX500
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas (whenever I can) & Illinois

I'm not a Ford hater - but the words Ford & Turbo, put together, would be a deal breaker for me. I know a lot of guys have loved their eco boost engines, but my luck doesn't work that way.
KX500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 04:47 PM   #11
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Call a regional rep and ask for or look at the Lemon Law and get a new vehicle.
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 05:02 PM   #12
Stick bow
Six Point

Hunt In: Boling

It’s a ford enough said
Stick bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 05:03 PM   #13
wsteffen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jewitt, TX or any where else I can find to go

It's across their line with that engine. Our 2018 Fusion has the same engine. While my truck was at ford, I asked the service writer about the recall that we received and if was going to do the same as our previous fusion with a computer reprogram, less power and mileage. She told me to just ignore the recall and wait for it to go out. as long as the recall issue is out there, they will have to replace the engine.
I'd bet your wife's escape doesn't run as good. They reprogram the computer to allow less turbo boost.
wsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #14
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsteffen View Post
It's across their line with that engine. Our 2018 Fusion has the same engine. While my truck was at ford, I asked the service writer about the recall that we received and if was going to do the same as our previous fusion with a computer reprogram, less power and mileage. She told me to just ignore the recall and wait for it to go out. as long as the recall issue is out there, they will have to replace the engine.
I'd bet your wife's escape doesn't run as good. They reprogram the computer to allow less turbo boost.
This is my understanding as well.

As for all of the "stay away from Ford" comments... I've owned a LOT of them in the last 25 years and this is the first one to ever have any issues. Of course, I usually don't buy cars or small SUV's. The trucks have always been problem free. I guess this particular ecoboost was just a bad design. I believe all automakers have had it happen to a certain model here and there. That's why I won't buy a Dodge/Chrysler/Ram product. I've owned three and all were junk.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #15
Louis
Ten Point

Trade it in just as fast as you can!
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #16
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Good news is Ford paid for a new engine. At no cost.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #17
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Fix Or Repair Daily
F O R D
FORD

All the mfgrs have their lemons. Luck of the draw.
Glad it didn't hit your pocket book. It might run forever now or it might blow again tomorrow. I would never be comfortable trusting it again. Little stuff like this in the back of my mind triggers an OCD response from me.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 06:12 PM   #18
RattlesnakeDan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

The Ford bashers are kind of funny.
Of course we all know that every Toyota taco blew head gaskets...all the 6 cyl. for many years...part of the deal.
All the Subaru's blew head gaskets as well.
Now we also have the Ram Hemi's that absolutely will start knocking and they will blow up.
There is such a long laundry list of Chevy's, Cadillacs, and on and on it will fill all these pages.
I have no dog in the fight but it is comical none the less.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 06:14 PM   #19
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee View Post
New engine if you paid cash keep it and drive it till you got to leave it in a ditch or sell it while you got some equity
If paying a note on it trading would be my option ( no reason to pay on it When you can roll out for a upgrade)
S-3 Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 06:15 PM   #20
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee View Post
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Fix Or Repair Daily
F O R D
FORD

All the mfgrs have their lemons. Luck of the draw.
Glad it didn't hit your pocket book. It might run forever now or it might blow again tomorrow. I would never be comfortable trusting it again. Little stuff like this in the back of my mind triggers an OCD response from me.
Same here
Old 09-02-2020, 06:17 PM   #21
KyleW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gordon TX

If you or your wife will be nervous about it to the point you are scared to take it on a cross country trip, just sell it. You should have faith in the vehicle you drive and if it’s going to worry you, why bother. Just my thought on it
KyleW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 08:58 PM   #22
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

We had a 2013 Escape. Never had an issue out of it but would have the low coolant light come on about every 18 months. I would fill it back up. Literally less 5 ounces of coolant and it was fine. We just sold it at 7 years old and 130,000.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2020, 11:56 AM   #23
gfulton
Ten Point

Trade it in.
gfulton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #24
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock, Runge

I believe I would be doing some car shopping. I drive vehicles until they give me a reason not to trust them. This would be that point if it were me.
bowhntrmatt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2020, 05:02 PM   #25
CaptainDave
Ten Point

My wife has a 2017 Ford Escape, but we ended up with the standard 4 banger rather than the turbo. Sounds like pure luck as the only reason we went with 4 banger was it was a bit cheaper and we were paying cash and avoiding a car loan.

With that said, if Ford paid for a new engine under warranty and that turbo engine is subject to problems, I'd probably look into selling or trading in for something else.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 06:11 PM   #26
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

UPDATE: Well, 5 months and about 5k miles later, she is having to get ANOTHER new engine installed! We were going to wait until summer, give this car to my middle daughter who will be driving soon, and get my wife a new ride. Now, as bad as I hate to take the hit, I think it has to go. It is now getting its third engine with only 36,000 miles on it. We are going to check into the lemon laws before making a move. I have owned a lot of vehicles in the last 25 years and I have never seen anything like this. Unbelievable.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:20 PM   #27
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

Ford had a service bulletin to get the diagnostics fixed for the coolant leak. May not be the same as your issue but my work car was brought in for that.
IowaHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 06:32 PM   #28
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
The Ford bashers are kind of funny.
Of course we all know that every Toyota taco blew head gaskets...all the 6 cyl. for many years...part of the deal.
All the Subaru's blew head gaskets as well.
Now we also have the Ram Hemi's that absolutely will start knocking and they will blow up.
There is such a long laundry list of Chevy's, Cadillacs, and on and on it will fill all these pages.
I have no dog in the fight but it is comical none the less.
Yes it is, (and Iíve been a Ford guy all of my life), but I do think Ford quality has gone downhill. Iím wondering if Iím gonna get a couple hundred thousand miles out of my 2018 like I did the several trucks preceding it.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 07:00 PM   #29
easeup
Ten Point

Quote:
UPDATE: Well, 5 months and about 5k miles later, she is having to get ANOTHER new engine installed! We were going to wait until summer, give this car to my middle daughter who will be driving soon, and get my wife a new ride. Now, as bad as I hate to take the hit, I think it has to go. It is now getting its third engine with only 36,000 miles on it. We are going to check into the lemon laws before making a move. I have owned a lot of vehicles in the last 25 years and I have never seen anything like this. Unbelievable.
run Forest run!
easeup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 07:06 PM   #30
Powertool1994
Eight Point

Hunt In: Georgetown

Hate to hear all your troubles. My secretary has a 2019 Escape 1.5 T with 12,000 miles had to new heads and all top end installed. Sounds like a vehicle to stay away from.

Powertool1994 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 07:27 PM   #31
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Sounds like more of Ford's computer simulations did not work for crap, kind of like the recall champ of the past, the Focus. There is no substitute for real world testing, don't care how good your computer programmer is.
RifleBowPistol is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 07:42 PM   #32
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I wouldn't give it to my middle daughter if it's gonna lose another engine and strand her. Trade that sucker in and get it out of your life.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 07:58 PM   #33
silentstalker92
Eight Point

Hunt In: votaw

2018 ford edge with a 2.0 replaced engine for the same problem

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
silentstalker92 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 08:27 PM   #34
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Talk to the regional rep and go higher if you must. Lemon Law should apply here no problem.
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 08:48 PM   #35
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentstalker92 View Post
2018 ford edge with a 2.0 replaced engine for the same problem

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
That's interesting. DIY? I reckon that's the way to get engines out of newer cars these days?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 09:30 PM   #36
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

If you are lucky it will catch on fire in a parking lot while your wife is shopping and insurance will buy it

I would not even make it back to the house after repairs made. Make them take the trade in hit or buy something different
No way I would want my wife driving it and dang sure would not send my daughter out in it. No telling where it might decide to quit.
I wouldn't even want to drive it
BTLowry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 09:47 PM   #37
Beleg
Ten Point

We’ve been trying to reach you about your cars extended warranty....
Beleg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 09:55 PM   #38
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

It’s time to part ways. Trade it back to the dealership you bought it from.
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 11:07 PM   #39
MadHatter
Ten Point

Sale it & buy insurance!!!!
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Sorry I had to
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 12:08 AM   #40
Aqckdude
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

FORD
Never again for me. Done
2005 F250 Harley Davidson
Replaced 3 motors.
Aqckdude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 07:09 AM   #41
Mayhem
Pope & Young

You know what doesnít break down?

Toyota 4runners. Casey deserves one.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:38 AM   #42
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Attached Images

White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 07:46 AM   #43
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
You know what doesnít break down?

Toyota 4runners. Casey deserves one.

I tried to get her to get one last time and she didn't want one. After this next engine is installed, I'm getting rid of it. I think she wants an Expedition but I'm not sure. I'll never trust that this issue won't continue to happen. Apparently, part of the "fix" on the new engine involves reducing the amount of turbo boost which reduces power as well. So you don't even get a car with the engine specs that was payed for. I did some research and it looks like there is a class action lawsuit related to these engines. This doesn't scare me away from Ford though. I have owned lots of them over the years and this is the first one I've ever had an issue out of. I can't say the same for some other brands I've tried. I think any manufacturer can produce a problem model from time to time. This appears to be a really bad one. I'm still a Ford and Toyota fan.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:17 AM   #44
FVR JR
Eight Point

Hunt In: Classified

This is what happens when you throw a turbo on an otherwise anemic engine in the name of global emissions and mpg. All the manufacturers do it because it's cheap and the average person only keeps a car a few years so who cares what's under the hood? Ford just doesn't have a very good track record with small cars, they focus more on their trucks.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 06:05 PM   #45
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Default Update

UPDATE: Well, we picked her car up from the dealer and went and traded it. She found a left over '20 Nissan Pathfinder SL "Rock Creek" edition that she liked so that's what she got. Hope it's better than that piece of crap she had... Nightmare over with that car.

Name:  Screenshot_20210306-175520_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  319.8 KB
Old 03-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #46
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Nice looking vehicle. I think you made a wise choice, given your situation and now y’all have confidence in what she will be driving.
tps7742 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 07:04 PM   #47
meltingfeather
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Sounds like a great time to get rid of it

This
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 07:33 PM   #48
SharpEnd
Four Point

Nice trade-up for sure. The Pathfinder should be solid.
SharpEnd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 07:35 PM   #49
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
Keep it. I have a buddy that bought a 2017 Ram ecodiesel and it threw 2 rods at 7,000 miles just driving down the road. Everyone told him to trade it after Ram put a new engine in it. He now has over 40,000 trouble free miles.
Lol, that's not that many miles...
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 07:56 PM   #50
Mayhem
Pope & Young

I drive a Nissan for a commuter car. Been really solid vehicle. I drive the pizz out of it too.