Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-28-2021, 09:42 AM   #1
DKirk
Ten Point

Default Any turkey hunters?

I am not but Iíd like to give it a shot. I have a few days blocked off toward the end of March from another hunt that got canceled and thinking about chasing gobblers. Reading a few threads on here there doesnít seem to be great a population accessible on public land so Iím thinking about road tripping to MS. Iíve been watching the hunting public and some other YouTube but if anyone has hunted there or has any tips or advice in general Iím all ears.
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 09:47 AM   #2
trash2
Six Point

If youre not familiar w turkey hunting and dont gave anyone to show you the ropes, your success level will be much higher w rios or merriams. The eastern turkey is very different from the previously mentioned.
trash2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 11:45 AM   #3
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Never had a chance at Easterns so I’m not help. But in an absence of Turkey on our place, I’m planning to head to NM to chase some Merriams.
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 11:52 AM   #4
TwoHighways
Eight Point

Subspecies doesn’t matter. The amount of pressure a bird receives does. Birds in the southeast are hunted hard and there’s already a steep learning curve to spring turkey hunting with “easy” birds. I’d go in with realistic expectations of not being successful as a novice, but you never know unless you give it a shot.
TwoHighways is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #5
climatecrisis
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHighways View Post
Subspecies doesnít matter. The amount of pressure a bird receives does. Birds in the southeast are hunted hard and thereís already a steep learning curve to spring turkey hunting with ďeasyĒ birds. Iíd go in with realistic expectations of not being successful as a novice, but you never know unless you give it a shot.
100%. Couldnít had said it better myself. Great advice.
climatecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 12:38 PM   #6
trash2
Six Point

Thumbs up

Quote:
Subspecies doesnít matter. The amount of pressure a bird receives does. Birds in the southeast are hunted hard and thereís already a steep learning curve to spring turkey hunting with ďeasyĒ birds. Iíd go in with realistic expectations of not being successful as a novice, but you never know unless you give it a shot.
Id have to disagree, rios and merriams are night and day apart from an eastern. A midwest eastern is somewhere between them and a SE bird. Anyhow, you could very easily be successful and at a minimum you'll learn something
trash2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 01:00 PM   #7
DKirk
Ten Point

Thanks guys, my expectations are to have a good time. I wouldn’t mind chasing a Rio but just from the few threads I’ve seen on here of people looking for turkey hunts the response hasn’t been very big. That’s the main reason I shifted my focus on MS. That and I spent most summers, fall, and winter breaks there but never hunted turkeys. Still have a little family there also.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:26 PM   #8
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Quote:
This is pretty solid here. Only thing Iíll add, Iíve been hunting Rios in the spring off and on my whole life. The last couple years have I only gotten serious about them. Iím still trying to learn how to hunt the ďeasyĒ birds here and end up unsuccessful more often than not. I have really been wanting to do some turkey road trips but my knowledge and skills Iím not confident enough in yet to take that leap. Itís one of the most addicting hunts there is, but like Two highways said, you wonít know unless you try and you canít kill a bird if youíre not in the woods.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 03:14 PM   #9
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Turkey hunting is a lot of fun. I’m not sure cutting your teeth on public land Easterns would be the smoothest start, but it could still be a fun trip.

I haven’t got a chance to hunt Merriams, but I think most people who’ve hunted both would say that Rios are considerably easier to kill than easterns. I am fortunate to have access to good areas of very lightly pressured easterns up here and they’re just different birds. Rios are extremely fun to hunt because you can work them all day beat the hell of of them. Again, just my experience on a handful of trips. They aren’t nearly as wary and seem to be waaaaay more cooperative.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 05:18 PM   #10
DKirk
Ten Point

If anyone can steer me toward Rios within 5-6hrs of Houston I’m all ears. I have nothing set other than the dates.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:50 PM   #11
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Quote:
Stout advice from a jake slayer😳
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 09:07 PM   #12
N.DaWoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

There are a lot of places you can hunt pretty cheaply around here on private land. Day hunts with lots of birds. Probably worth looking into, unless you are just set on public land?
N.DaWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 06:05 AM   #13
tpcollins
Eight Point

Hunt In: Local

Biggest issue with new hunters is probably over calling.

If a Tom answers your call - just shut up. He knows where you’re at. A couple putts and some scratching the leaves on the ground simulating a feeding hen can work better than calling too much. Good luck
tpcollins is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 07:37 AM   #14
shott
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERS View Post
Stout advice from a jake slayer😳
I almost spit my Dr Pepper out
shott is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 08:10 AM   #15
Bassdeer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcollins View Post
Biggest issue with new hunters is probably over calling.

If a Tom answers your call - just shut up. He knows where youíre at. A couple putts and some scratching the leaves on the ground simulating a feeding hen can work better than calling too much. Good luck
spot on, I use 95% of the time a push button turkey call. maybe in one hour I might hit it 3 to 5 times and only push the button 3 or 4 times. works almost every time.
Bassdeer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 08:55 AM   #16
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKirk View Post
If anyone can steer me toward Rios within 5-6hrs of Houston Iím all ears. I have nothing set other than the dates.
I'd recommend just spending some money and finding an outfitter here in Texas. By the time you buy your non-resident tags, gas, and other travel expenses, it'll be close to a wash...especially if you're going solo.
ClayW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 09:24 AM   #17
DKirk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.DaWoods View Post
There are a lot of places you can hunt pretty cheaply around here on private land. Day hunts with lots of birds. Probably worth looking into, unless you are just set on public land?
Do you have any contacts? Not set in public but not looking to break the bank for a bird. Iím not even sure what I should expect to pay.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:29 AM   #18
DKirk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayW View Post
I'd recommend just spending some money and finding an outfitter here in Texas. By the time you buy your non-resident tags, gas, and other travel expenses, it'll be close to a wash...especially if you're going solo.
License would be $127, gas wouldnít be much more than the distance Iíd probably have to travel in Texas, Iím pretty far from turkey country lol. I also still have family I can stay with in MS. Iím considering taking my son so that would be an added cost if I went through an outfitter.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:34 AM   #19
DKirk
Ten Point

How different is the approach in hunting them between Rios and Easterns? Going to do some more youtubing but any advice from you seasoned guys is welcome.
Thanks again
Old 03-01-2021, 10:16 AM   #20
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Iowa

We have got a decent populations of birds (Easterns) here in SE Iowa. With our terrain (very hilly, pockets of timber, Ag fields) they can be very tough. They will sneak it quiet on you as much or more often than gobbling and strutting in......and this is on private ground that is not hunted by anyone except me. Its dang sure fun though !!!! I am just hoping to find some TSS shotgun shells in the next month.
Arrowsmith is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 10:20 AM   #21
quackadikt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Pressured turkeys are hard to kill...doesnít matter if they are an Eastern or a Merriamís. Non-pressured birds can be stupid, regardless of where they live.

I will say though, the distance a Merriamís or Rio will travel every day can make them harder to chase down. Easterns, in my experience, donít have NEAR the home range the other two do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
quackadikt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 10:22 AM   #22
ClayW
Pope & Young

Quote:
License would be $127, gas wouldnít be much more than the distance Iíd probably have to travel in Texas, Iím pretty far from turkey country lol. I also still have family I can stay with in MS. Iím considering taking my son so that would be an added cost if I went through an outfitter.
How old is your boy? For a first turkey hunt experience, I'd definitely recommend an outfitter. If you're set on public land, I'd set the expectations with him as more of a camping trip with a possibility of finding a turkey

Quote:
How different is the approach in hunting them between Rios and Easterns? Going to do some more youtubing but any advice from you seasoned guys is welcome.
Thanks again
Public land easterns will be total different ball game compared to private land rios...plus the added bonus of pressure, other hunters, and unfamiliar land.

The actual hunting tactics will be the same but just take it much slower with the Easterns.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:25 AM   #23
TwoHighways
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
We have got a decent populations of birds (Easterns) here in SE Iowa. With our terrain (very hilly, pockets of timber, Ag fields) they can be very tough. They will sneak it quiet on you as much or more often than gobbling and strutting in......and this is on private ground that is not hunted by anyone except me. Its dang sure fun though !!!! I am just hoping to find some TSS shotgun shells in the next month.
Head on over to Mac's prairie wings. They are going fast
TwoHighways is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 11:02 AM   #24
DKirk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayW View Post
How old is your boy? For a first turkey hunt experience, I'd definitely recommend an outfitter. If you're set on public land, I'd set the expectations with him as more of a camping trip with a possibility of finding a turkey

Public land easterns will be total different ball game compared to private land rios...plus the added bonus of pressure, other hunters, and unfamiliar land.

The actual hunting tactics will be the same but just take it much slower with the Easterns.
Heís about to be 13, I would definitely be keeping realistic expectations and treating it like you said. The adventure and experience will be great either way. I guess that is part of the appeal of going out of state and just winging it.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #25
ClayW
Pope & Young

Quote:
Heís about to be 13, I would definitely be keeping realistic expectations and treating it like you said. The adventure and experience will be great either way. I guess that is part of the appeal of going out of state and just winging it.
Yessir

My dad and I have the same approach on our trips. We expect to be successful but we are fine with just spending time together and enjoying the experience.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #26
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
https://bossshotshells.com/products/...tom-18-2-oz-9/
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 08:24 PM   #27
JackRyan
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Do you have any contacts? Not set in public but not looking to break the bank for a bird. Iím not even sure what I should expect to pay.

Iíve looked at a few outfits in Texas recently and they were all close to $1,000 for a turkey hunt. I love turkey hunting and think it may be the most exciting hunting Iíve ever done but Iím also not going to pay $1k for a turkey hunt. I would much rather do a trip like youíre talking about, even with the low odds of ďsuccess.Ē

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 09:57 AM   #28
DKirk
Ten Point

How do y’all like to hunt them? Run n gun, or set up with decoys on a promising location or something else.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:06 AM   #29
Harvey
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fort McKavett Country

Quote:
How do yíall like to hunt them? Run n gun, or set up with decoys on a promising location or something else.
All the above! There in lies the appeal of turkey hunting...the overall chase. Start out sitting in the morning and then "run n gun" throughout the day. It's truly an all-day pursuit! Good activity to get in shape, cover lots of ground, find sheds, scout deer country...all in hopes to carry out a big tom!
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 10:32 AM   #30
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243 WSSM View Post
Thanks !!!

I ordered a box of the .20 gauge TSS #7

I guess Iowa DNR has not heard how effective TSS #9 are on turkeys. They limit the shot size at #8. 8s are hard to find in TSS .20 ga. They are all hard to find as far as that goes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 11:26 AM   #31
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

Good deal. Keep us posted on those Iowa titanic toms
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2021, 07:14 PM   #32
Bowhuntinonly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Decker Prairie Tx.