Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-18-2021, 09:14 PM   #101
kch73
Eight Point

Hunt In: Comanche County
Default Big difference between

Quote:
Originally Posted by STX_Shooter View Post
As a technician my job is to keep them spinning, if the demand is high the company makes millions a hour. If itís low we ainít making a ton or we get curtailed. But no matter what I still got to climb 300 feet if itís for millions or not. Wind and solar make up 20% of electricity generated in Texas. Turbines had nothing to do with blackout or anything else thatís all propaganda...
LZ_South turbines and LZ_West turbines...

LZ_West had blade icing in October that was unreported but caused significant issue's with both pricing and reliability. Wind isn't the panacea you claim it be...
kch73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 09:14 PM   #102
CoachS
Four Point

Hunt In: Floresville , Stockdale

Here one for all you wind turbine lovers. Not so environmentally friendly after all.

https://youtu.be/0z33n2XvhNI
CoachS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 09:24 PM   #103
Ruark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere close by

So how is this ERCOT price jackup going to work? It went from approximately $.05 to $9 per kwh. I'm in a coop, like many rural customers (Central Texas Electric Coop). Our bill includes a distribution charge, access charge, a "power cost pass-through" charge and "access cost pass-through" charge. Last month we used 985 kwh. Of course, a lot more this past month. Holy crap, are we looking at a $10,000+ electric bill? This can't be right.
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 09:38 PM   #104
kch73
Eight Point

Hunt In: Comanche County
Default Wholesale prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
So how is this ERCOT price jackup going to work? It went from approximately $.05 to $9 per kwh. I'm in a coop, like many rural customers (Central Texas Electric Coop). Our bill includes a distribution charge, access charge, a "power cost pass-through" charge and "access cost pass-through" charge. Last month we used 985 kwh. Of course, a lot more this past month. Holy crap, are we looking at a $10,000+ electric bill? This can't be right.
The $9,000 price cap has been in effect all week. This is for wholesale power. Depending on how well CTEC had the load hedged, they may or may not be able to make the payment that will be due to ERCOT. If CTEC owns generation that has been running, they are high rolling...hope that helps.
kch73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 01:52 AM   #105
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
1.3 million USA dollar an hour? Iím thinking they paid for 3 days ago ...I ainít real good at some math but..
There's more than math you're not good at.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 02:40 AM   #106
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman
Default Here we go..HIGHER Utilities Coming?

I was a dummy and didnít pay attention to what was going to happen during this storm, Iíve been on a variable plan for years and have had cheap elec bills till now. Here is my current bill with Griddy. Weíve switched, just waiting for it to take affect......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 07:22 AM   #107
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
Yup! Especially when you look at what an oil change in one of those turbines costs!
Not only that...................
If you do the math....................
For what it cost, to manufactor each windmill........(and maintain)
It will never generate enough elec, to pay off it's self...............
And they do have, a shelf life................
And many of the components, cannot be recycled, or disposed
of safely......... Yea, green energy, my azz..........

Just another control, and money grab............
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 08:04 AM   #108
STX_Shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Not only that...................
If you do the math....................
For what it cost, to manufactor each windmill........(and maintain)
It will never generate enough elec, to pay off it's self...............
And they do have, a shelf life................
And many of the components, cannot be recycled, or disposed
of safely......... Yea, green energy, my azz..........

Just another control, and money grab............
Oil change? Lol thatís not very often when oil needs to be changed. But on a monthly or yearly service all thatís done is filter swaps, grease bearings, torque and tensioning and some basic inspections. Of course you will top off the hydraulic fluid here and there.
STX_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 08:06 AM   #109
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampa View Post
I was a dummy and didnít pay attention to what was going to happen during this storm, Iíve been on a variable plan for years and have had cheap elec bills till now. Here is my current bill with Griddy. Weíve switched, just waiting for it to take affect......

Man that's a lot.
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 08:13 AM   #110
retrieverman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Since I’ve been feeding a generator since Monday morning at 11am and haven’t been a drain on the power grid, this really p*sses me off.
retrieverman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 10:30 AM   #111
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

Griddy Faces Class Action Lawsuit For Alleged Price Gouging
USA Today (2/25, Miller) reports a woman from Texas named Lisa Khoury has filed a class action lawsuit against Griddy for allegedly price gouging customers amid the blackouts in Texas last week. Khoury, “who filed the lawsuit on behalf of all Griddy customers who were charged the high prices, faced a $9,546 electric bill from Feb. 1 through Feb. 19 as a result of the massive spike in wholesale electric prices in Texas amid a severe winter storm.” Wholesale power prices “soared amid the outages that hit millions of Texans, spiking to $9,000 per megawatt hour compared with the typical rate of $50 per megawatt hour, the lawsuit says.” The lawsuit “seeks to prevent Griddy from billing and collecting payments on the charges with excess prices during the storm and forgiveness for late or unpaid payments as well as the monetary relief.”
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #112
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

But I get screamed at for selling a 223 round I paid 50 cents for to someone for $1

How the crap is this not price gouging? And pretty sure electricity is a need and not a want.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 02:45 AM   #113
Bubba
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
My wind farm ran 90 towers out of 91 today making 1.3 million a hour all day. I would say thatís pretty reliable.
My 1 Gas Turbine made as much power as your 90 wind turbines and I have another 100 wind turbines of steam turbine capacity. Without Subsidies for renewable power generation accounting to the tune of 128 billion USD the wind turbines would not be ran much.
Don't get me wrong I think they have there place for sure, but the playing field is not equal.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 03:15 AM   #114
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Boom!

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 08:46 AM   #115
ACbob
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sabinal & Victoria Cnty

Just seems like we almost passed on nuclear when we should have been more in favor of it. BTW those rolling blackouts last a lot longer than I thought they would! 4 days off, not 4 hours.

Last edited by ACbob; 02-27-2021 at 08:48 AM.
ACbob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 08:53 AM   #116
Charles
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbob View Post
Just seems like we almost passed on nuclear when we should have been more in favor of it. BTW those rolling blackouts last a lot longer than I thought they would! 4 days off, not 4 hours.
4 days off, 4 days on.

Get used to it as I don't see our power grid improving any time soon. Our summer months will be the true test.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 09:54 AM   #117
Buckshot4900
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas/Mississippi

Just got my electric bill and it was $14.00 less than last month. I was pleasantly surprised.

Buckshot4900 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 10:01 AM   #118
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

Quote:
As a technician my job is to keep them spinning, if the demand is high the company makes millions a hour. If itís low we ainít making a ton or we get curtailed. But no matter what I still got to climb 300 feet if itís for millions or not. Wind and solar make up 20% of electricity generated in Texas. Turbines had nothing to do with blackout or anything else thatís all propaganda...
So out of that 20% , how much were they producing during the blackouts during the artic blast?
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 10:21 AM   #119
Rwc
Pope & Young

I have followed the last two days of state Senate and Legislator over sight committees grilling of certain key electric players in the State; heads of renewables, CEO’s of NRG, Distran Corp, Calpine, AEP Texas, etc etc, each said, no end users bills will increase because of poor planning on their parts..........then came the three most at fault, Chairperson Walker of the PUCT, Chairperson Cradick of the Railroad Commission and CEO Bill Magness of ERCOT.

I have came to the conclusion after listening to each..........everyone of them are at fault but it’s not their fault???? And they are all so sorry for the oops......

Cradick is blaming ERCOT for the lack of gas to run generators because power was shed to the largest NG fields out west. Generators are blaming the gas fields for not being able to run at full capacity or not enough gas to run at all and or start up units. Renewables are blaming the transmission grid for not being able to handle all the wind generation that was available and transmit it to the area in most need of it. While Walker and Magness are having trouble answering any difficult questions.........I’ll have to get back with you is a common response with those two.

What a political circus with an agenda of finding a single scape goat.

All just my personal observation, watch for yourself but have a blood pressure monitor hooked up.........Lordy what a cluster.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 10:37 AM   #120
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
So out of that 20% , how much were they producing during the blackouts during the artic blast?
Both renewables (wind and solar) out performed their projections for the occurrence period. Not sure of the exact numbers. State grid had some congestion on a few 345 kV transmission lines (one coming in from Deep South and two from the panhandle) that limited the amount of renewables to be transmitted to the Houston area and the DFW area is what I am understanding.

Note: even if you could have transmitted all the available renewables it would not have been enough to off set the demand and load shed would have still happened.

Rwc
Old 02-27-2021, 10:52 AM   #121
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
Both renewables (wind and solar) out performed their projections for the occurrence period. Not sure of the exact numbers. State grid had some congestion on a few 345 kV transmission lines (one coming in from Deep South and two from the panhandle) that limited the amount of renewables to be transmitted to the Houston area and the DFW area is what I am understanding.

Note: even if you could have transmitted all the available renewables it would not have been enough to off set the demand and load shed would have still happened.

Rwc
I caught the tail end of a report stating that they provided 3% during that time.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:59 AM   #122
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
I caught the tail end of a report stating that they provided 3% during that time.
It was on the Michael Berry show one evening....I'll see if I can find it.

I don't always quote myself......but when I do....I quote myself.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:04 AM   #123
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Brown Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
Wind and solar should not be part of the minimal supply calculations. They arenít reliable enough.
And they are not even economical without tax subsidies.
Natural gas is clean, cheap and plentiful to produce electricity. And it creates jobs.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 01:05 PM   #124
Leverhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
If they are part of the electrical grid they had something to do with the blackouts. From what i have read, wind turbines had a significantly higher failure rate than other type of power plants.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 04:29 PM   #125
db@100
Ten Point

My question is, how much money has the average Griddy customer save over the last few years? They have saved a lot and now they have to repay some of it. They signed up for a variable rate. You have to take the good with the bad.
I'm sure some of them were bragging about all the money the were saving.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 05:03 PM   #126
RLB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comal County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
But I get screamed at for selling a 223 round I paid 50 cents for to someone for $1

How the crap is this not price gouging? And pretty sure electricity is a need and not a want.
Thereís not a store or a website someone goes to, to purchase megawatt contracts. This is done on the dailyís desk, where I used to broker ERCOT power. Generators and buyers (or owners of said contracts) go into the market place to buy and or sell these contracts. Some folks didnít prepare for a 100 year event and got low on power, then went to the daily market and it ran up significantly. Those ďWITHĒ the commodity set the price, you either buy it or you run out. Its capitalism and thatís how it works with corn, gasoline, water, hay or whatever it is youíre selling. What sucks, is that these ďelectricity wholesalersĒ get away with their screw ups and are being allowed to pass it on to the consumer. I bet they didnít share the profits they made!!
RLB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 06:20 PM   #127
db@100
Ten Point

I received an email from my provider saying my rate will stay the same as I signed up for I guess they have made enough off of me that they can afford to absorb some of the extra cost.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:32 PM   #128
friscopaint
Ten Point

Grayson County electric said their rates won't change
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 07:09 PM   #129
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Varible rates have killed people this past month. sign up for a long term fixed rate and maybe pay a little more in the long run but will not be subject to multiple thousand dollar electric bills for his past storm.
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 07:43 PM   #130
bulltx50
Ten Point

Hunt In: baylor,knox, McCulloch counties

Back in the HL&P day everything was over built, better then anywhere in the United States. Along comes De-regulation and poof look what we have.
bulltx50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 08:18 PM   #131
bulltx50
Ten Point

Hunt In: baylor,knox, McCulloch counties

Back in the HL&P day everything was over built, better then anywhere in the United States. Along comes De-regulation and poof look what we have.
bulltx50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 08:56 PM   #132
Bubba
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton County

The finger pointing will go on and on. In my opinion it's a money issue. Ultra-influential rich and the politician’s money games. Renewables are needed and have a place, but the big push is filling someone's pockets and other players suffer. I have attended several black start training classes and leave every time thinking boy that would be a mess. It’s my understanding it was very close to being that mess for the whole state. From my training I’d say it would be months before it would of been back normal. I can tell you every System Operator, Transmission and Delivery groups and Power plant operators across Texas did everything in their power to keep things up and running. Texas power industry has not been built for that type of weather for that long of period. Bottom line is it happened, and it needs to be fixed.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 10:52 PM   #133
fliptide
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampa View Post

Man, that sucks.
Learned my lesson with Griddy in summer of 2019. Couldn't switch fast enough when it happened. Can't remember what Bill was exactly but it was 600-800 over just a few says.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
fliptide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 07:42 AM   #134
db@100
Ten Point

Was that $600 to $800 an average bill? Was it ever cheap?
Old 02-28-2021, 08:47 AM   #135
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

We use:

https://www.energyogre.com/

For $100.00 a year they take the responsibilty to find you a 6 month or 1 year contract that is cheep.
Just sit back and let them research providers. Think my bill this month is $250.00...............
Johnny Dangerr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 09:02 AM   #136
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
The finger pointing will go on and on. In my opinion it's a money issue. Ultra-influential rich and the politician’s money games. Renewables are needed and have a place, but the big push is filling someone's pockets and other players suffer. I have attended several black start training classes and leave every time thinking boy that would be a mess. It’s my understanding it was very close to being that mess for the whole state. From my training I’d say it would be months before it would of been back normal. I can tell you every System Operator, Transmission and Delivery groups and Power plant operators across Texas did everything in their power to keep things up and running. Texas power industry has not been built for that type of weather for that long of period. Bottom line is it happened, and it needs to be fixed.

Black Start.......wish every rate payer could get a glimpse of that process! Four days without power would be a cake walk compared to a month of no power for all of ERCOT grid members.

I agree renewables have their place (small place), but anyone with common sense would have to agree that for every megawatt of renewables that ERCOR
T counts on as part of “reserve margins” would need an equal amount of fossil fueled generation as back up due to the uncertainty of renewables.

Rwc
Old 03-01-2021, 05:34 AM   #137
lunatic'hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, Montana

Same here. It was $50 less and I never lost power during the freeze. I was ready though, thank goodness. I do feel for all the guys struggling with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot4900 View Post
Just got my electric bill and it was $14.00 less than last month. I was pleasantly surprised.

lunatic'hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 07:27 AM   #138
texan16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

Our COOP raised our rate from .08 Kwh to .14 Kwh this month. I was expecting a fairly high bill this month, but this is a little excessive in my mind........personally I have no problem paying my bill, but there will be a lot of folks that are fixing to get outrageous electric bills and they will be screwed....
texan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 10:34 AM   #139
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

https://www.foxbusiness.com/energy/t...kruptcy-report
justletmein is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #140
Aggie PhD
Ten Point

Hunt In: North of US90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
The finger pointing will go on and on. In my opinion it's a money issue. Ultra-influential rich and the politicianís money games. Renewables are needed and have a place, but the big push is filling someone's pockets and other players suffer. I have attended several black start training classes and leave every time thinking boy that would be a mess. Itís my understanding it was very close to being that mess for the whole state. From my training Iíd say it would be months before it would of been back normal. I can tell you every System Operator, Transmission and Delivery groups and Power plant operators across Texas did everything in their power to keep things up and running. Texas power industry has not been built for that type of weather for that long of period. Bottom line is it happened, and it needs to be fixed.
Talked with my dad this past weekend. He was a chief system operator back in 1989 and was active in the rolling blackouts back then to prevent the catastrophic failure. He said him and another chief got to give seminars at ERCOT meetings (pre-deregulation) on black start processes. He said he called his buddy the other day and said "maybe we should go give that presentation again"

My dad has talked with on of the operators at ERCOT who worked for him when he retired and said we were pretty close to going to a black start protocol. Not sure what the cycle frequency is where it goes down, but it got close at one point.
Aggie PhD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 01:11 PM   #141
Jtrage
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
We use:

For $100.00 a year they take the responsibilty to find you a 6 month or 1 year contract that is cheep.
Just sit back and let them research providers. Think my bill this month is $250.00...............

We have been using energy ogre for the last several years. I had tried to do my own research before giving them a shot. We easily cut our cost by 25% to even 50% in the summer months. Always fixed rates. Each time they changed providers our cost did not go up.
Jtrage is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 01:48 PM   #142
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
We use:

Looks like you have to give them your credit card info so they can auto draft your account....right? And it automatically renews unless you go through extra motions to end it?
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #143
Jtrage
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterback View Post
Looks like you have to give them your credit card info so they can auto draft your account....right? And it automatically renews unless you go through extra motions to end it?
Yes, either credit card or autodraft from bank. We have been with credit card, $10 a month since 2017. They take care of everything when they find a new provider. Setup new account, etc.
Jtrage is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 05:12 PM   #144
Leverhunter
Eight Point

Question and excuse my lack on knowledge on the subject. A lot has been said about well heads freezing. Did that really happen or not ?
Old 03-02-2021, 05:27 PM   #145
BigRichard
Four Point

Hunt In: Concho County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverhunter View Post
Question and excuse my lack on knowledge on the subject. A lot has been said about well heads freezing. Did that really happen or not ?
They cut power off to our field didn’t lose it. No power not much you can do besides shut everything in. Freezing issues were minor before that. No freezing at well heads some at facilities on water lines. All our compressor stations are electric drive as well hard to move any gas with out power.
BigRichard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 07:08 PM   #146
Leverhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRichard View Post
They cut power off to our field didnít lose it. No power not much you can do besides shut everything in. Freezing issues were minor before that. No freezing at well heads some at facilities on water lines. All our compressor stations are electric drive as well hard to move any gas with out power.
Thank you. Thatís what I thought but wanted to hear it from someone with firsthand experience.