No announcement yet.

MIG welder help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you. Can I just put in some flux core wire the same size as the wire in there now and start practicing without shielding gas?

Comment

I just picked up a mig welder to learn on myself. My welder requires different polarity between solid wire/gas and flux core wire, not sure if yours is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
        Thank you. Can I just put in some flux core wire the same size as the wire in there now and start practicing without shielding gas?
        Yes you can use flux cored wire. It spatters a little more than solid wire and is more expensive, but works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by sr1209 View Post
          I just picked up a mig welder to learn on myself. My welder requires different polarity between solid wire/gas and flux core wire, not sure if yours is the same.
          This is correct information! I’m sure you can use Flux with that machine but you will have to swap your polarity over or it will not work right.

Comment

Thank you. Do I just make the ground lead positive using these jumpers to change polarity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Can't see where your cables go, but flux-cored welding requires DC electrode negative.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                Buy the bottle, it is cheaper then renting and when you run out you just swap the bottle for a full one.
                I pay $40 per year for my co2 bottle and swat when needed. Only paying for the co2 in the bottle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                  Can't see where your cables go, but flux-cored welding requires DC electrode negative.
                  Thank you. That would make sense. The ground clamp currently goes into the upper left and that little chart on the front would indicate a DC - if I changed their position.

Comment

Originally posted by Cultured Hick View Post
                    Yes you can use flux cored wire. It spatters a little more than solid wire and is more expensive, but works fine.
                    I may start out practicing with this and add a shielding gas if I find I need it for an application. I don't really have any current use for the machine but I should at least know how to operate it if it is in the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                      As I was scrolling through this thread this is what I was thinking. If you are unfamiliar with welding, flux core is the way to find out if your going to like it or not before buying tanks and parts.

Comment

In photo of - and + they could be just plugs so just pull and swap..to change polarity.My machine has wing nuts to remove to swap...as for flux core it can really shine in windy outdoor conditions...But gas shield in controlled conditions sure make clean splatter free welds.

as for fittings go to Welding supply with your parts and machine they can fix you up...and not TSC cause their gas prices are HIGH..2/or 3 times...Went to get swap a bottle of 02 a while back it was $58bucks I said no..went to weld supply it was $18

Comment

Working...
                        X