Matagorda in March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matagorda in March

Myself and couple buddies will be down in Matagorda March 1-4. No boat, no kayaks. Last time we were there (last july), we hit the ditches, beach, jetties. We did pretty well, but understand the water was warm..

so my question is..

where would yall direct me for a much colder water experience, on foot?

Drive the beach hang a left on perturbing paths and walk into the south shoreline

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
      Drive the beach hang a left on perturbing paths and walk into the south shoreline
      Mean likewise of 3 mile?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure how far check out google earth

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Hit the beach and go East. 4x4 is an absolute must. Once the maintained part of the beach ends you'll see many roads cut across the peninsula towards the bay. Pick one and it'll take you to the South Shore line. Do not drive in the black mud or you'll be there till next Christmas.

You can walk in wade almost anywhere from the south shore. Good luck

Also you will need a beach permit. They sell them in town at all the convenience stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
              Hit the beach and go East. 4x4 is an absolute must. Once the maintained part of the beach ends you'll see many roads cut across the peninsula towards the bay. Pick one and it'll take you to the South Shore line. Do not drive in the black mud or you'll be there till next Christmas.

You can walk in wade almost anywhere from the south shore. Good luck

Also you will need a beach permit. They sell them in town at all the convenience stores.
              Awesome. Appreciate it!

Comment

The South shore of East Matty is good if a few days of sun and mild temps warm the shallows.

March 1st may be a bit early, but if you want to catch Sheepshead, I would try the pilings around the surf pier. They move in thick there during March, along with Black Drum. Be sure to bring a pier net if you fish there.

If it's really cold, fish the Intercoastal under the big bridge or down the cemetery road. The river by the jetty can be good at times too, as well as upstream at the park on 521...if it's not too fresh from heavy rains.

It's a short drive to Palacios where you can fish several piers and spots on the Tres Palacios River that are usually good winter fishing too.

Comment

look for hog island on google earth or your fishing map you can drive up to the back of that cove,if you get there early before any boats come in it should hold some nice trout up to 28" used to be my favorite cove years ago but many use it now days ive driven in when i was much younger pitched a tent spent a few days there 4x4 is a must once you cross the dunes its cake

Comment

I figured march was going to be hit or miss on warmer weather. I appreciate all the feedback!

Comment

Carry a shovel and a bucket. Easier to un stick a truck in wet sand than dry

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Ive hit those areas in march and not gotten a bite. Personally, id adjust your dates.

Long handled shovel, tow strap, bucket, cheap Ebay traction boards. Ive sunk my 3/4 ton to the frame crossing the dunes and can get it out in 30 minutes with a shovel and four traction boards.
                        Last edited by toledo; 01-03-2021, 12:16 PM.

Comment

March can be a good month but the weather has a heavy hand in things in March. Tides can be wintertime low or normal. Wind can be a big issue. It can be comfortable or cold. It's a hit or miss time of the year. Fishing via boat I'd say go for sure. Fishing via truck may prove to be a slow trip. But, it's better than work and for sure you aren't going to catch anything on the couch at home.

Comment

Will be plenty of big black drum to be had around the jetties in March. Cracked crab will get em'.

Comment

You can catch big black drum just about anytime. I'm just not sure why you'd want to. I have a customer who is crazy about them. They fish for big drum alot. He was texting me a couple days ago and had landed 13 oversized drum in a couple of hours on crab. In the bay. From the bank.

Comment

Working...
                              X