Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
RCDuck
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Love Co., OK
Default Proposed Change in Oklhoma Deer Season

For those of you who own or lease land in Oklahoma, do you support the proposed change that would extend the deer gun season from 16 days to 23 days? The proposed change does not indicate if the additional week would be a week earlier or a week later...

10. 800:25-7-53. Deer - gun ē Extend deer gun season to 23 days. ē Commission may by resolution establish deer gun season bag limits up to 6 deer, no more than one antlered.

Since I primarily bowhunt, I love the fact that the gun season is fairly short. I think the deer are much less nocturnal than in Texas, at least in my experience. I would prefer it stay as is... what about the rest of you?
RCDuck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 05:33 PM   #2
dope hunter
Ten Point
 
dope hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sherman, TX
Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default

I hunt Oklahoma and think it needs to stay how it it. Longer gun season will ultimately drive the cost of leases up in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dope hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 05:44 PM   #3
riverbowman
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Highland Village, TX
Default

We hunt family-owned land and I would like to see it extended because we have a couple of family members who rifle hunt only. I only bow hunt so it wouldn't change things for me.

If I was leasing for bow hunting I'd probably have a different opinion.
riverbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
Trevor73402
Eight Point
 
Trevor73402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Southern OK
Default

You need to look at the reason why it’s being purposed. Not if it benefits you individually or not. Aside from that, I’ll be happy when it’s extended and I only hope it starts earlier rather than running later. It never fails around here that the “peak” of the big buck movement always takes place in the gap we have between black powder and rifle season. I’ve been hunting the same piece of land for 30 years and that’s how it always is up here.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 07:56 PM   #5
RCDuck
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Love Co., OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
You need to look at the reason why itís being purposed. Not if it benefits you individually or not. Aside from that, Iíll be happy when itís extended and I only hope it starts earlier rather than running later. It never fails around here that the ďpeakĒ of the big buck movement always takes place in the gap we have between black powder and rifle season. Iíve been hunting the same piece of land for 30 years and thatís how it always is up here.
I realize my post indicated the reason I personally don't want it extended, but aside from that, I can't imagine extending the season benefits the deer herd. Your desire that it starts earlier, would no question be a detriment to the herd for the reasons you stated. For what it's worth, I did just receive an email from the Wildlife Department requesting public comment, that the extension would come at the end of the existing season... so 1 week later, not earlier.

For the Oklahoma residents (I am not), if the extension goes thru, get ready for lease prices to go up. I own my land... I'm sure a longer rifle season will increase land prices/values, particularly in proximity to Texas. Maybe just a 1 week increase won't have a huge effect, but if OK ever mirrored the TX gun season, land prices north of the Red River would go up in a hurry, I'm certain.

So who does it benefit? I think those who lease their land out to hunters/outfitters, primarily... the longer the gun season, the more they can charge.
RCDuck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 08:48 PM   #6
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

As an owner I’m all for extending the season. Wildlife management needs to go the way of the landowner, not the socialist program they have going. We got great momentum with the quota elk and bear system. Now we need to extend rifle season and eliminate public Pronghorn draw.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 08:55 PM   #7
dope hunter
Ten Point
 
dope hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sherman, TX
Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
As an owner Iím all for extending the season. Wildlife management needs to go the way of the landowner, not the socialist program they have going. We got great momentum with the quota elk and bear system. Now we need to extend rifle season and eliminate public Pronghorn draw.
You can kill 6 deer in Oklahoma, compared to 5 in Texas and the deer season is longer in Oklahoma..how would you consider their season as a "socialist program"?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dope hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:01 PM   #8
RutnBuk
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brownwood, Tx
Hunt In: Mills/Brown county
Default

Ill be finding and leasing some land there for next year. I like the longer hunting season.
RutnBuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:03 PM   #9
monsterspike
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
As an owner Iím all for extending the season. Wildlife management needs to go the way of the landowner, not the socialist program they have going. We got great momentum with the quota elk and bear system. Now we need to extend rifle season and eliminate public Pronghorn draw.
agree completely.
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:06 PM   #10
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Are they wanting it longer because they need more deer killed to get numbers in check?
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:07 PM   #11
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dope hunter View Post
You can kill 6 deer in Oklahoma, compared to 5 in Texas and the deer season is longer in Oklahoma..how would you consider their season as a "socialist program"?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Things are Slowly changing, but there is no MLD program option, and the crop depreciation program is limited compared to the public draw for private land owner. As it is now the landowner Pronghorn tag is a random draw with only a slight preference to larger land owners.
Essentially you could have 31 sections and not draw a pronghorn tag even though you have 70 on your land. The only longer part of the season is an archery buck tag(s) in Jan. But thatís also a new license, our extended doe season follows through then anyway.

Compared to Texas itís a much more focused on the public then the landowner.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:10 PM   #12
Trevor73402
Eight Point
 
Trevor73402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Southern OK
Default

The logic behind it, that I fully agree with, is the forecasted decrease in hunters in years to come combined with a thriving deer population. Kids these days (most of them) don’t hunt. They play video games and cry. Many of their parents do the same. ODWC doesn’t see the harvest quotas being met as years go by...... and thus a need to extend the season. Also, people claim to be “too busy with life” these days and an extended season has been seen as a way to give those people more of an opportunity to hunt.

Personally, I really don’t care what season gets extended, as long as we get more “gun season”. That can be Primitive or Rifle. Early on or later on. If they’d add another 7 days to the back end of muzzle loader season, I’d be tickled with that too.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #13
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Are they wanting it longer because they need more deer killed to get numbers in check?
It could do a combination of things. How much more adapt would you be to hold out for a mature deer with a longer season. Although I would never lease out, it does give the landowner the ability to justify a stricter age harvest strategy. IMO.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #14
Texas Stalker
Pope & Young
 
Texas Stalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Howe
Hunt In: Oklahoma/Taylor County
Default

I already made my comments on there. I pretty much told them that a lot of locals already hunt outside of season. No reason to extend it. Until they can enforce the laws they already have on the books I wouldnít make it any harder on their already stretched thin game wardens. Itís pretty well known that they have a lot of poaching going on up there. Itís bad where my lease is.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Texas Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:19 PM   #15
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
The logic behind it, that I fully agree with, is the forecasted decrease in hunters in years to come combined with a thriving deer population. Kids these days (most of them) donít hunt. They play video games and cry. Many of their parents do the same. ODWC doesnít see the harvest quotas being met as years go by...... and thus a need to extend the season. Also, people claim to be ďtoo busy with lifeĒ these days and an extended season has been seen as a way to give those people more of an opportunity to hunt.

Personally, I really donít care what season gets extended, as long as we get more ďgun seasonĒ. That can be Primitive or Rifle. Early on or later on. If theyíd add another 7 days to the back end of muzzle loader season, Iíd be tickled with that too.
If the numbers are behind the decision it makes since.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:19 PM   #16
okrattler
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
It could do a combination of things. How much more adapt would you be to hold out for a mature deer with a longer season. Although I would never lease out, it does give the landowner the ability to justify a stricter age harvest strategy. IMO.
Why not just have a rule that a deer can only be so big before someone kills it? That'd save a lot of fork horns. My buddy is a rifle hunter and even he ain't a fan of extending the season. That'd just mean more small deer got killed.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:23 PM   #17
dope hunter
Ten Point
 
dope hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sherman, TX
Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default

I understand your argument. I was looking at from a deer hunting perspective. I personally dont like having to purchase up to 3 non resident deer licenses at $300 per license.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dope hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:25 PM   #18
dope hunter
Ten Point
 
dope hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sherman, TX
Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Stalker View Post
I already made my comments on there. I pretty much told them that a lot of locals already hunt outside of season. No reason to extend it. Until they can enforce the laws they already have on the books I wouldnít make it any harder on their already stretched thin game wardens. Itís pretty well known that they have a lot of poaching going on up there. Itís bad where my lease is.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I hunt SE Oklahoma and poaching is rampant, and the Game Wardens are stretched too thin.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dope hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #19
Texas Stalker
Pope & Young
 
Texas Stalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Howe
Hunt In: Oklahoma/Taylor County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dope hunter View Post
I hunt SE Oklahoma and poaching is rampant, and the Game Wardens are stretched too thin.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


Where about? I hunt around Talihina in Qhachita Mountains. I was staying in the state park a couple weeks ago and heard a rifle shot just east of the park in the hills at 2am. I asked the park official the next morning if he heard it. He said yeah itís nothing new. Said thatís how some of the locals always kill big bucks. Like itís normal.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Texas Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:39 PM   #20
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
Why not just have a rule that a deer can only be so big before someone kills it? That'd save a lot of fork horns. My buddy is a rifle hunter and even he ain't a fan of extending the season. That'd just mean more small deer got killed.
I see the opposite. People said the same thing about moving to an elk quota. I heard it all, but end of the day those of us that wanted elk are managing them well and those that don’t want elk, don’t have them, or atleast not for long, there are now options.

We can go in a circular agruement for days, end of the day it’s gives more management capability with more days in the field for more segments of hunters. It’s a win win.

Last edited by Texans42; 12-02-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:49 PM   #21
dope hunter
Ten Point
 
dope hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sherman, TX
Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Stalker View Post
Where about? I hunt around Talihina in Qhachita Mountains. I was staying in the state park a couple weeks ago and heard a rifle shot just east of the park in the hills at 2am. I asked the park official the next morning if he heard it. He said yeah itís nothing new. Said thatís how some of the locals always kill big bucks. Like itís normal.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I hunt east of Idabel and its ridiculous...a lot of gunshots during all seasons and road hunting the pine stands is the "normal" way to hunt. The locals dont even bother to call the Game Warden. I have a pic of an article where this guy gun hunts the railroad tracks that divide our lease from another company called Herron Family Tree Farm. Herron doesnt regulate the hunting of their property, so the locals treat it as public land. Our lease manager has a saw mill and can watch this guy drive up to the railroad tracks in his Polaris and shoot deer. The altercation between our Lease Manager and the guy made the paper. Nothing happened...he put an add out in the same paper a few weeks later showing off his kill (he posed with a muzzle loader but shot it with a rifle). He had already killed several bucks but didnt check them in, and he shot it with a rifle out of season....even most of the local poachers know nothing will happen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dope hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #22
monsterspike
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Default

these shortened gun deals seem anti-2nd to me, of course it falls on deaf ears within a group that willingly gave up the right to carry, while bow hunting.
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 10:21 PM   #23
okrattler
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
I see the opposite. People said the same thing about moving to an elk quota. I heard it all, but end of the day those of us that wanted elk are managing them well and those that don’t want elk, don’t have them, or atleast not for long, there are now options.

We can go in a circular agruement for days, end of the day it’s gives more management capability with more days in the field for more segments of hunters. It’s a win win.
People are already capable of killing more than one deer here. A lot don't even kill one with a rifle let alone a bow. There's an over abundance of deer because people aren't shooting enough,not because the seasons aren't long enough. Would one or two people get lucky and get big deer if they had an extra week? Maybe, but I'm guessing the majority aren't going to hold out for even half that long if they're wanting meat in the freezer.

A majority of big deer up here are nocturnal. That's why you may only hear of a few really good ones being killed. If I see a huge deer around here that got shot I'm always pretty apprehensive about the means in which it was taken. I think more often than not it's probably after legal hunting hours. I know of some big deer my buddy had on camera at night even during the rut got their pictures taken on neighboring properties during the day by the same people. Happens every year. Could they just be really lucky when nobody else is? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say nobody is that lucky.

I say if they're doing it because there's too many deer I'd say more people need to be deer shooters instead of deer watchers.

Last edited by okrattler; 12-02-2019 at 10:28 PM.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 10:26 PM   #24
Texas Stalker
Pope & Young
 
Texas Stalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Howe
Hunt In: Oklahoma/Taylor County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dope hunter View Post
I hunt east of Idabel and its ridiculous...a lot of gunshots during all seasons and road hunting the pine stands is the "normal" way to hunt. The locals dont even bother to call the Game Warden. I have a pic of an article where this guy gun hunts the railroad tracks that divide our lease from another company called Herron Family Tree Farm. Herron doesnt regulate the hunting of their property, so the locals treat it as public land. Our lease manager has a saw mill and can watch this guy drive up to the railroad tracks in his Polaris and shoot deer. The altercation between our Lease Manager and the guy made the paper. Nothing happened...he put an add out in the same paper a few weeks later showing off his kill (he posed with a muzzle loader but shot it with a rifle). He had already killed several bucks but didnt check them in, and he shot it with a rifle out of season....even most of the local poachers know nothing will happen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


Wow. Thatís crazy. My lease land owner had a horse and a heifer shot from the road during deer season. Now they move them right before season starts. It seems like when they do get caught that there isnít much punishment for it in Oklahoma so they figure might as well I guess.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Texas Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 10:33 PM   #25
ckamp52
Ten Point
 
ckamp52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Burleson, TX
Hunt In: looking for a drama free lease...if it exists anymore
Default

Used to hunt North of Durant and were bow only and we heard gun shots constantly out of season and had at least one stand per year stolen etc. I also used to work with a bunch of people from Oklahoma and every one of them shot deer whenever they wanted and would talk about sabotaging feeders etc because they didn't like people coming up and hunting on "their" lands. Obviously not saying everyone up there does it but seems like a popular trend
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #26
Texas Stalker
Pope & Young
 
Texas Stalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Howe
Hunt In: Oklahoma/Taylor County
Default

This was just posted on Facebook. Looks like these guys wonít be hunting for a while lol.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Texas Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #27
monsterspike
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Default

ban oklahoma.
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 10:39 PM   #28
okrattler
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckamp52 View Post
Used to hunt North of Durant and were bow only and we heard gun shots constantly out of season and had at least one stand per year stolen etc. I also used to work with a bunch of people from Oklahoma and every one of them shot deer whenever they wanted and would talk about sabotaging feeders etc because they didn't like people coming up and hunting on "their" lands. Obviously not saying everyone up there does it but seems like a popular trend
Popular?LOL I think it's kind of a sport in itself up here. I know guys that have more fun jacking with other people than they do huntin. It's ok to do a little profiling every now and again. It's obvious that Oklahomans take deer huntin to another level at times.

And then there's guys like me that wish they'd shoot their deer and get the hell on home so I can hunt. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if rifle season was a week long as long as all their tags got filled.

Last edited by okrattler; 12-02-2019 at 10:59 PM.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2019, 10:55 PM   #29
bossbowman
Ten Point
 
bossbowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Hunt In: Bosque Cameron Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Randall Val Verde Counties
Default

If I were a landowner there I would not want the change, the deer are not near as nocturnal there and get big for a reason, same reason Grayson and Collin county have some giants, limited long range weapon seasons.
bossbowman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 05:20 AM   #30
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
People are already capable of killing more than one deer here. A lot don't even kill one with a rifle let alone a bow. There's an over abundance of deer because people aren't shooting enough,not because the seasons aren't long enough. Would one or two people get lucky and get big deer if they had an extra week? Maybe, but I'm guessing the majority aren't going to hold out for even half that long if they're wanting meat in the freezer.

A majority of big deer up here are nocturnal. That's why you may only hear of a few really good ones being killed. If I see a huge deer around here that got shot I'm always pretty apprehensive about the means in which it was taken. I think more often than not it's probably after legal hunting hours. I know of some big deer my buddy had on camera at night even during the rut got their pictures taken on neighboring properties during the day by the same people. Happens every year. Could they just be really lucky when nobody else is? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say nobody is that lucky.

I say if they're doing it because there's too many deer I'd say more people need to be deer shooters instead of deer watchers.
I’ve been hunting Oklahoma my entire life, deer are no different then they are anywhere else. Nocturnal myth. I hunt Osage/Pawnee and Cimarron/Texas counties. I personally have measured four deer out of Osage/Pawnee that where 200”. Those kind of deer don’t get reported because they don’t want the publicity/ future completion especially with school leases. I can’t tell you how many people, I know that use to drive to a different city instead of checking their deer at the publicity hub known as the fire station. The online reporting system is now keeping even more deer under raps.

Again more hunting options means more time in the field and better management ability. It’s that simple.
It a plus plus for me will equal longer elk season and move Mulie’s more in to the rut

Last edited by Texans42; 12-03-2019 at 05:24 AM.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 08:13 AM   #31
monsterspike
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
If I were a landowner there I would not want the change, the deer are not near as nocturnal there and get big for a reason, same reason Grayson and Collin county have some giants, limited long range weapon seasons.
if you were a landowner that would not want it, it must be because you hate money. it would raise land values.
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 08:20 AM   #32
Trevor73402
Eight Point
 
Trevor73402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Southern OK
Default

Texans42.....I’ve got 3 deer on the wall that are in the Oklahoma record books that my dad and I had taken. We drove two counties over everytime to check them in back when you had to actually take them to a station. I am very close to Lake Murray......
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #33
Hoss163
Pope & Young
 
Hoss163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Abilene tx
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

They kill plenty 3.5 year olds already. With cross bows rifles and muzzle loaders . No need to give them an excuse to kill more of them
Hoss163 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #34
Hoss163
Pope & Young
 
Hoss163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Abilene tx
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

What they need to do is change archery season to last Saturday of September as the opener and third Sunday of January as the last day if they want to change something.
Hoss163 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #35
WItoTX
Ten Point
 
WItoTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana
Default

There is always talk about extending the season in WI, and it has been done a few times. Usually what happens is the same number of deer are taken, just over an extended period of time. In Wisconsin, they added to the rifle season by creating "T-Zone" hunting, which was a season just before and just after rifle season, where only antlerless animals could be taken.

At the time, the thought was more people would hunt with extended rifle season, as well as attempting to eradicate CWD. But the Wisconsin DNR found out it really didn't help solve either problem.

Only guys that hunt hard and love deer camp are going to benefit.
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #36
whakm
Ten Point
 
whakm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: dfw area
Hunt In: Oklahoma, we'll see how this goes
Default

I hunt Oklahoma and I think the deer season is already long enough. I mean Oct 1st- Jan 15th is plenty for me.
Oh you said GUN season. Don't gun hunt so it doesn't matter to me.( I know, that's very narrow minded and I can hear the haters now...….don't care) If you can prove to me how extending it will help the deer herd then fine, I'm all for it. If it's just to make it more convenient then I am a lot less concerned.Where I hunt there doesn't seem to be an over population of deer and when I hunted between Ratan and Antlers the seasonal dates seemed to be more of a "suggestion" anyway.
Oh ya, and if there's a chance it'll raise what I pay for a lease then I'm definitely against it.

Last edited by whakm; 12-03-2019 at 10:31 AM.
whakm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com