Realtor Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Realtor Question

Can you ask a listing agent what comps they used to price a property?

One just listed $8-18k more an acre than every other property in the area. So besides lowballing or waiting 4 months for the price to drop can you ask for a justification of the price?

Maybe that’s what the owner wanted to ask for the property.

Comment

You can ask for whatever you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
        You can ask for whatever you want.
        Literally LOL

If you really like the property for some reason usually there's a reason and I bet it sells for more.

If there's nothing special and you like it then send in an offer with local comps and politely say that's why your offer is "x"

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          Literally LOL

If you really like the property for some reason usually there's a reason and I bet it sells for more.

If there's nothing special and you like it then send in an offer with local comps and politely say that's why your offer is "x"
          I looked at a 250 acre property in central Texas that was priced at $7000 an acre. I asked another realtor who knew nothing about this property to get me sold comps in the general area I was looking, because I was looking to buy a larger property to cut into 20 plus acre tracts. Everything she got me was in the $4500-$5600 an acre range. I asked the listing realtor to get me comps that they based the price of the one I was looking at on. They all came in $7000- $8500 an acre but were 10-15 miles away. It was a great piece of property that I was looking at but I couldn’t justify the price. I’ll let it sit and see, because I doubt they’d drop $2000 an acre on a new listing.

And you can ask anything you want.

Comment

The agent is going to pull comps that match the property. Typically with normal homes, you dont need to go more than a mile. The more unique the property( house SQF, property SQF, pool) the further they will go to pull comps.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Was Gonna post. But realized I was on my third drink. Lol.

Comment

Certainly.

Comment

We listed our house well above what the comps were and what the realtor recommended.
                  Took 6 months to sell, but we got what we were asking.
                  The house we sold was paid for and we didn’t need to sell it to get into our new house.
                  Maybe this seller is in the same situation. They don’t really care how long it takes to sell...

Comment

Originally posted by r_u_sharp_2 View Post
                    The agent is going to pull comps that match the property. Typically with normal homes, you dont need to go more than a mile. The more unique the property( house SQF, property SQF, pool) the further they will go to pull comps.

That’s the thing though, every property in the entire county is listed for less and some have been on the market more than a year. It’s just a vacant lot no improvements. I’m sure this is a case of the seller thinks he has a gold mine but just wanted to gather possible angles to approach so the property be what we are looking for. Going to check it out tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                      That’s the thing though, every property in the entire county is listed for less and some have been on the market more than a year. It’s just a vacant lot no improvements. I’m sure this is a case of the seller thinks he has a gold mine but just wanted to gather possible angles to approach so the property be what we are looking for. Going to check it out tomorrow.
                      If there isn't anything special on the listing... the seller is nuts.

Comment

Sure, you can always ask.

There are a LOT of factors that go into pricing a property. In the end, the SELLER sets the asking price. We just try to give them the best, most accurate information to do so. Most will price high.

Maybe the one you are questioning has some improvements that others don't? Some type of water frontage?

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                          Sure, you can always ask.

There are a LOT of factors that go into pricing a property. In the end, the SELLER sets the asking price. We just try to give them the best, most accurate information to do so. Most will price high.

Maybe the one you are questioning has some improvements that others don't? Some type of water frontage?

Completely bare land. No utilities, not lake front.

7 acres so it can’t be compared to 1/2 acre or 1 acre lots.

3 miles away 10 acres and a house for 50k an acre. 3 acre lots not far away for 40k an acre.

Yet somehow they are at 58k an acre...

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                            Can you ask a listing agent what comps they used to price a property?

One just listed $8-18k more an acre than every other property in the area. So besides lowballing or waiting 4 months for the price to drop can you ask for a justification of the price?

Are you asking, or, are you having your Realtor ask on your behalf? If you were calling me, wanting to buy without representation, I cannot help you out as I have a fiduciary duty to my client (seller). I would recommend you hire a Realtor or submit an offer on your own.

From my Make Believe World

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                              Are you asking, or, are you having your Realtor ask on your behalf? If you were calling me, wanting to buy without representation, I cannot help you out as I have a fiduciary duty to my client (seller). I would recommend you hire a Realtor or submit an offer on your own.

From my Make Believe World
                              What is the difference in discussing the property with an unrepresented buyer vs. speaking with a realtor? You have the same fiduciary duty to your client notwithstanding the status of the buyer.

Comment

Working...
                              X