• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alaskan cruise info needed

We are booked in September to go to JUNEAU,
    SKAGWAY, VICTORIA, BRITISH COLUMBIA and
    VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA.
    We are doing some glacier climbing and I’m wondering about the weather. Will it be warm enough that we will get wet from melting ice? Waterproof pants, gloves, boots, ect?
    My wife is very concerned about leaving the kids for 8 days. Will there be cell service in these ports, so we can either text, call or email about the kids? There’s a wireless package that’s available on the boat, but I’ve heard it’s worthless.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In for info. Just booked the wife and I for next May!

Comment

My phone worked in all of these ports but when in Canada there may be extra charges, depending on carrier. It will be cool on the glacier so you will need a jacket and it rains often so something dry, I took a rain suite with me and a warm jacket with a hood. My wife also needed gloves.

Comment

it will be cold. you will need a coat and gloves too.
        our phones worked in the us ports. we didn't opt for the phone package

Comment

I went in July. Weather was about 40 in morning and 68 in the afternoon.

Comment

Doing the same trip in September. My family thinks I’m crazy because in one of the ports, I’m doing a snorkeling tour.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
              Doing the same trip in September. My family thinks I’m crazy because in one of the ports, I’m doing a snorkeling tour.
              My wife and I did the snorkeling tour. It was an experience but we didn't see much other than colorful starfish. I don't regret doing it, not many people can't say they went snorkeling in Alaska.

Comment

Eat at the Hangar in Juneau. It's on the water and instead of boats docking it's one plane after another. Good burgers

Comment

We went 3 or 4 years ago. On board wi/fi was flawless. Service was good in every port but skagway. It was better closer into town.

We went in june and wore hoodies and pants the whole time. I was gonna buy boots that would double for a hunting boot but ended up finding some water proof merrell shoes that did just fine. I didnt find I needed gloves at all. A light rain coat will come in handy in the mornings. Sometimes the fog on the outside of the boat was so thick it was like rain

I also took a badlands pack I use for hunting to carry snacks, bi nocs, chap stick etc. A couple times I snagged fruit from the buffet the morning we left the boat and carried that. If you do, be prepared to either eat it or throw away once you get back on the boat

Comment

IMO riding the train is Skagway is a must. Victoria is beautiful. I love the outdoors and hate big cities if i never went in another town i would be happy. And believe it or not i loved Victoria. I wish we would have been on the one that went to Vancouver also.

Going to victoria is like going to a college town beautiful women everywhere. It was almost 80 when we was there so they all had on short shorts and tank tops. It was great.

Even my wife said something about how pretty the women where if we saw and ugly one she was most likely over 50.

My biggest grip about the cruise was we went to Skagway, Victoria, Juneau Ketchikan and maybe one other. The problem is you dont have enough time in town to do much. Maybe since yall have less stops you will have more time. We where in a rush it seemed like the whole time. And i was in no hurry to get back on the ship....

The food in Victoria was by far the best we ate in a little bar and just had bar food and it was one of the best meals of the trip.

Just FYI the main drags in Juneau Skagway and where the bus will drop you off in victoria is nothing but shops owned by the Cruise lines. So they are going to make there money either way. The only reason those towns exist is for the tourists.

Also you can take the bus into Victoria and it will drop you off. I suggest either walking where you can or catch a cab. Then when you get ready to leave catch a cab back. You will eat up 1-2hrs waiting in line just to get back on the bus to head to the ship if you dont cab back.

We went to the Craigdarroch Castle in Victoria it was neat and went by the Parliment building and walked a few of the streets.

Comment

Originally posted by crxshooter View Post
                      Eat at the Hangar in Juneau. It's on the water and instead of boats docking it's one plane after another. Good burgers
                      Agreed, cool place to eat.

Comment

This is a bucket list trip for me. A guy I work with just got back from an Alaska trip and he had some cell service at the ports.

Comment

I'm no help, but we're going in mid August!

Comment

Leaving Friday Last week it was warm but this is the forecast for next week.
                            Seattle 74/60
                            Juneau 51/45. Rain
                            Skagway 46/42
                            Ketchikan 59/56
                            Victoria bc 67/56.
                            Sept it will be much cooler for sure.

Comment

We did Holland America last September, started in Vancouver, ended in Seward, then did a week on land ending in Fairbanks. The land portion was my favorite. Weather was in the 60s and lower 70s during the day. 50s at night. The whole trip was amazing, The Red dog saloon in Juneau was a lot of fun. Most of the places were getting ready to shut down , the cruises stop mid September. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X