Cotton Seed vs. Alfalfa Bales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have always been a protein pellet fan, but want to do more for next year.
    When considering all things: price, consumption, waste, and benefits, what is better for WT deer? Cotton Seed or Alfalfa bales?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cottonseed lasts longer, is weather resistant and is cheaper (as a whole)for us.... Alfalfa is easier to put out...well its in bale form anyway...no shovels required.

My deer can go through two three stand bales per pen in 12-13 days when they are on it good.. Those same deer can go through 1200lbs of cottonseed in 1.5-2 months.
    Last edited by Smart; 08-10-2020, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Cotton seed 100% lots of crude protein and good fat content, and is weather resistant
      Alfalfa drys up and the leafs (protein) falls off or it gets moldy when damp and is expensive because of shipping
      Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 08-10-2020, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I can't get deer to touch cotton seed in east Tx. But, they destroy alfalfa.

Comment

How much are you guys paying for bulk cotton seed this year?

2 years ago we paid 200/ton delivered. A year ago they wanted a lot more.. Like 240/ton plus delivery. I didn't even bother asking what that semi-truck delivery charge would have been.

Comment

Cottonseed over Alfalfa. Easy choice.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

2 years ago we paid 200/ton delivered. A year ago they wanted a lot more.. Like 240/ton plus delivery. I didn't even bother asking what that semi-truck delivery charge would have been.
              $235 +
              I think you get some $ back for returning 1 ton sacks

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

It was $240-250/ton in January.. in the San Angelo area.

Comment

Cotton Seed better value.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Our deer wouldn't touch alfalfa bales in North Central Louisiana. Went to feeding protein pellpellets.

Comment

Plus....on the alfalfa the deer eat the green leafy stuff and leave the stems, unless they are desperate and its droughty..... then they eat it all. Those stems make up good part of the bale so most of the time they are waste.

Comment

cottenseed

Comment

Cotton seed. I used the 2x4 square fencing. 5ft tall I believe.
                          Wrapped around a 55gallon drum as a jig. Cut and wired up.
                          Tied to a tpost and filled

Comment

Originally posted by Dc78 View Post
                            Cotton Seed better value.
                            I’ve heard dear can only digest 17% protein and rest is waste. Not sure how that works or if it’s accurate

Comment

Originally posted by W E H View Post
                              I’ve heard dear can only digest 17% protein and rest is waste. Not sure how that works or if it’s accurate

I think that’s an average. If it was in a pen and had that to eat only, then maybe so. Out in the wild, they get plenty 5% in their diet so the daily average will always be less that that. (Just how I understand it.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X