Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bergara Ridge Rifle in 6.5 Creedmore

Comment

The AR with an adjustable stock is perfect for kids. If you can run it suppressed, even better.. Seems like the muzzle blast can make kids flinch.
      Inside 100 yards, a 300 blackout shooting the 110gr Barnes Tac-Tx would be perfect for deer and hogs

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
        If I had a kid now day, I would get him or her a Howa 1500 mini action in a 6.5 Grendel, as a starter rifle, or maybe a 6.5 Creedmoor. I still think that the smaller bullets, should be left to people who have shot a lot of game over the years and are very good consistent shots. Starting a kid off with a small caliber, with a small bullet that the shot placement needs to be perfect, to me is not the best idea. I really think if you have at least a 6.5/264 with a 120 to 130 gr. bullet, you have a good minimum, deer round. Then it needs enough velocity to get that bullet to expand reliably.

I would say something like a 7mm-08 or 308, but not sure how well a 10 year old would do with either as a first deer gun. If you spent some time with the kid and let him shoot it a 100 to 200 times, and he had no problem with it, I would say that would be a great first deer rifle round. I know the smaller Grendel and Creedmoor cases, and smaller, lighter bullets will result in less recoil, which would intimidate a young kid less.

I know when I was 10 years old the idea of shooting my step father's 308, scared the crap out of me. But when I finally shot it, I was like ok, no big deal. I think I first shot it, when I was 12. I killed two deer in a row with that gun, dropped them dead where they stood.

The other side of the first rifle deal, I have to agree, that it is probably best to start a kid out with a single shot or a bolt action. Once they have shown they can be responsible with that gun, then allow them to use a semi auto. But I realize now days, at least haft of the pictures I see of young kids with a kill, they have a AR in their hands. My grandfather would have flipped out, if he were still around and seen what all goes on today. I have been around multiple guns that went off accidently, most every case, the gun was in the hands of a kid. There were multiple close calls, will scare the crap out of you. But all it takes is one round going off at the wrong time, to create a bad situation. I have seen bolt actions go off and almost create very bad situations. There are a lot of ways of looking at the whole deal. Just be safe, preach gun safety, over and over, but not in a manner, the kid finds the info boring.

My first gun was a semi auto 20 ga., followed by a Marlin semi auto 22 LR. The 20 ga. was a blast, the Marlin jammed constantly, was more of a single shot, once you got the jammed case out of the gun. My grandfather was POed at my step father for buying me a semi auto and starting me off with semi autos, I was supposed to start off with a single shot 22, that's they way yours supposed to do it. Then my first deer rifle was a Ruger 44 Carbine, loved that gun, wish I had it back. So I know it's possible to start a kid out with a semi auto, been done successfully many times, but still best not to start a kid out with a semi auto. Just teach good gun handling and safety.

Hopefully y'all get something this year.
        10yr old should have 0 issues. I got my kids a vanguard compact 7mm08 last Christmas. Got the hornady lite ammo and both my 4.5yr old boy and 6yr old girl were on center of target first day in the first couple shots. Still limiting to 50yds though.

Comment

My first rifle was a bolt action.243 I bought at a gun show when I was 12 (with my dads approval), just handed it down to my son a few years ago after he killed his first buck with it. Also, that was my only rifle until I handed it down to him when I was 40! 243 is easy on the recoil and gets the job done, I never needed anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My son started killing deer at 9 with a Browning Micro in 7mm08. He was shooting the Hornady CustomLite 120gr reduced recoil loads. We still have the rifle and it makes for a great compact rifle when walking /hiking.
            Attached Files

Comment

Howa mini action grendel or x39 Ammo cheap lots of practice. Truely the best option out there.

Comment

Originally posted by snipermedic View Post
                Howa mini action grendel or x39 Ammo cheap lots of practice. Truely the best option out there.

Yessir. Mini action in Grendel is what my boys are shooting.

Comment

.243 works great. My 6 year old dropped a big doe in her tracks with a .300 blackout at about 80ish yards using Sig 120 grain HT ammo. Barnes TSX works great too if you go the .300 route.

Comment

Comment

Of those options I'd go with the AR. The adjustability of the AR platform just works for kids and you already own it. I'd put a good single stage trigger in it and a decent little scope on it and see how he does. If you do go with a bolt action make sure it fits everywhere. People get so concerned about length of pull, but overlook scope height/cheek weld. Adjustable padded cheek risers work wonders for younguns! Hope this helps!

Comment

My first was a Ruger M77 mark II compact in.243 I still hunt with it often and still love it. I have killed lots of animals with it. As everyone has said it's a great beginer cartridge. But my second favorite are my Remington 870s I've killed more deer with them than any thing. shotgun hunting is a great intro to bowhunting as far as range goes. Plus there cheap and very deadly.

Comment

Originally posted by coach2 View Post
                          Savage .243 with a quality scope.
                          We started younger with a .222.
                          Then .243 with stock chopped and better butt pad.

Now I would seriously consider a suppressor.

BP

Comment

My g-son is 12.... He’s been hunting several years with a Ruger American in 300 blackout... He absolutely smashes everything with that gun... Probably 2 dozen hogs and several deer....
                            The best youth gun I’ve seen... He now has a Remington model 7 in 243...but shoots the Ruger better..

Comment

I was looking at buying my 8yr old either the Model 7 in 300 Blackout or one of the Howa MiniActions in 6.5 Grendel. Hard to beat the Grendel for a kid. It can take down any Texas game with ease at normal ranges.

Comment

I would get a 6.5 grendel upper for your ar 15. A good scope and he will be good to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X