Small Engine Mechanics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Engine Mechanics?

I’m not a mechanic by no means but can fix most stuff on my lawn mowers.
    But I’m having a problem with my push mower. It will run for a few minutes then die. It has that push button primer. When it dies, that button is sucked in. Once I get it back out and push it a couple times, it starts right back up and runs for a few minutes till I have to repeat whole process. Takes forever to get stuff mowed where I can’t get the riding mower in. Is this primer button the problem or something else?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	9C5E861E-FD64-46F4-ADDA-F0BBCD362DAE.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	25254897

Name:	91CE858D-2F1D-4BB9-BB34-DE7552562AB0.jpeg
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	25254898
    Top pic is what it looks like when it dies.
    Any help appreciated!!!

I would bet that the primer bulb has a small vent that is clogged.

Comment

Restricted fuel from tank. Pull the tank off. I bet it has a lot of crud in the tank and the pick-up tube screen.

Comment

starving for fuel,
        would also think blockage of screen on line in tank or tank it self has trash that has been suck up

Comment

1st replace that bulb if possible

Take that carb off and spray the hell out of it with carb cleaner

Comment

Could also be the vent for the gas tank is plugged or blocked by dirt/mud dauber. If the tank cannot get air in to replace the fuel burned it starts to go under vacuum resulting in a collapsed bulb. See it often in boat fuel lines but not much on a mower.

Tim

Comment

Crack the gas cap and try it, probably plugged vent in cap.

Comment

I would replace the primer bulb as mentioned above then replace the fuel lines from the carb to the tank. Make sure the filter screen for the fuel isnt clogged and you might as well clean the air filter while your at it if that hasnt been done. Check and make sure there is no debris in the fuel tank as well. She should purr after that. if she doesnt the carb probably needs a good cleanout as mentioned above.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I decided to just change out the bulb first and go from there, since the old one was very soft. Got the new one in, cranked her up, and mowed what I needed mowed and it never died. Looks like problem solved.
                  Then, I gassed up the riding mower and it was leaking fuel bad. So I replaced a hose from the carb to motor, being that’s where it looked like it was coming from. Put that on, put everything back together and it’s still leaking. Got to tear it all back down and try to figure out where it’s leaking at. Always something!!!

Comment

Need help. After using the riding mower last week with no problems, I gassed it up couple days ago and saw gas leaking from around the carburetor. It was coming from a hose that goes to the motor. I replaced it with a new one but it still leaks. Any suggestions??

Name:	434ECD5F-1EA6-4D2B-80FA-27F34878529E.jpeg
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	24657019

Comment

I think this crap gas they make us buy cost us plenty. My mowers fuel line from the tank to the carb was like putty and has several holes.

Comment

Guess I can try a hose clamp

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                          Need help. After using the riding mower last week with no problems, I gassed it up couple days ago and saw gas leaking from around the carburetor. It was coming from a hose that goes to the motor. I replaced it with a new one but it still leaks. Any suggestions??

[ATTACH]1055865[/ATTACH]
                          Isn't that the crankcase vent tube?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
                            Isn't that the crankcase vent tube?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                            Tell the truth, I don’t know what it’s called!!!

Comment

Looks like the crankcase vent.

It should not have any fuel going through it. It just sucks the vapors from the crankcase, and runs them through the combustion.

I would guess that you have a stuck needle in your carb, which is allowing fuel to overfill and leak out that vent. Time for a careful teardown and cleaning.

It's a good idea to wash your equipment from time to time. I wash my mowers (both riding and push) after each use. I get very little rust, since nothing is trapping in moisture. It also makes them run cooler and they aren't such a mess to work on when you do maintenance.

Comment

Working...
                              X