Generator plugged into outlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator plugged into outlet

Can't I plug my generator into one of my outlets to get power circulating throughout the house? I know it will be minimal, should I pick a certain outlet, etc?

Good question! I was just thinking about that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No please don't do that. I don't think you can. But if you do you better flip your main off cuz if it all the sudden gets supply back.....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Do not do this!

1. Until you have opened the utility main disconnect on the panel. If you do not have a main I do not suggest doing this at all.
        2. Open all circuit breakers and close only carefully selected loads.

Comment

I heard of people flipping the main off the back feeding a leg in their breaker panel. But people would forget to shut off the back feed then flip the main back on when power was restored and bad things would happen. Plus if you got caught not doing it properly you could hurt a line man if the line was energized by your power source with the main still on.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

No. That’s a good way to kill a lineman I think.

Comment

If your panel is not set up with an interlock switch or a transfer panel for emergency generator use you need to turn your main breaker at the top of the panel off and simply run extension cords from your generator to what you need to power up. Of course this only will work on corded appliances. Hard wired appliances will take more work and retrofitting. Make dang sure you are NOT back feeding into the electric grid. If a back feed kills a lineman that is working on the system I am sure that you can be charged for his or her death. Turning off your main breaker will prevent this from happening.

Comment

Hell no!

Comment

No. Just no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just turn off your main, pick a larger breaker that is not used like a 30A for your dryer if you have gas, and wire your generator in there. This is not rocket science.

At this point, if you do not have a heavy gauge feed wire to go from your panel to the gen set you are probably stuck with extension cords. The same thing applies, turn off the main and run your generator.

Comment

I have my 15kw wired directly into my breaker box with the main turned off, and I can run my entire barn apartment.

Comment

Turn main off and wire into unused or if your just using a small generator just run cords to what you want

Comment

If you want a FIRE!!! Back feeding is a NO NO.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                            If your panel is not set up with an interlock switch or a transfer panel for emergency generator use you need to turn your main breaker at the top of the panel off and simply run extension cords from your generator to what you need to power up. Of course this only will work on corded appliances. Hard wired appliances will take more work and retrofitting. Make dang sure you are NOT back feeding into the electric grid. If a back feed kills a lineman that is working on the system I am sure that you can be charged for his or her death. Turning off your main breaker will prevent this from happening.
                            BINGO!

Please know what you’re doing before messing with generators.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                              Just turn off your main, pick a larger breaker that is not used like a 30A for your dryer if you have gas, and wire your generator in there. This is not rocket science.

At this point, if you do not have a heavy gauge feed wire to go from your panel to the gen set you are probably stuck with extension cords. The same thing applies, turn off the main and run your generator.
                              This sounds easy, but now I'm getting lost. Killed the main and every breaker but one (say living room), plugged gen into a plug on living room circuit, gfci pops on gen as soon as it connects

Comment

Working...
                              X