Simone Biles mental issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
    Not trying to play the devils advocate here but I wonder if some of the Hard A’s in this thread stand the same against Veterans whose mental health has been so effected by PTSD they take their own lives. Are they quitting?..

Again not saying Simons a gem but am proclaiming that mental health is in fact an actual issue with some.
    Awful, and disrespectful comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      Awful, and disrespectful comparison.
      How so?

Comment

Comparing men and women who have been in combat on behalf of their country, and are fighting the actual demons associated with that.....to a priveleged 23 year old who quit on her team at gymnastics?

Comment

I meant no disrespect just offering a different view on the subject at hand. Clearly your team understands Simon biles and her situation much more than i

Comment

Sorry but if there is a judge involved, I'm out. Gymnastics, iceskating and beauty pageants are not sports or competitions to me. When opinions are involved, and the winner is determined by that, it's subjective. I'm not saying that the participants are not super athletic and are not great to watch, but it's just not worthy of the Olympics, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
              You continue on suck it up and don't let your teammates and country down.
              Originally posted by M16 View Post
              Mary Lou was better and cuter.
              Correct on both accounts.

Sad part is there was someone else standing in line who wanted/could have competed that didnt get a spot on the team. Now that was taken from them for what?????????

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
                I meant no disrespect just offering a different view on the subject at hand. Clearly your team understands Simon biles and her situation much more than i
                I'm not sure gymnastics has the same mental strain as being in combat. The view makes no sense whatsoever. You don't honestly think sports is the same as fighting for your life, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  Nope....but I can imagine Jabron Lames doing so.
                  Lol, Awesome!

Comment

Sounds like she did what was best for the team. If she couldn’t do it mentally or physically she should have stepped back and let a healthy alternate do their job. It appears that’s what she did.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                      Sounds like she did what was best for the team. If she couldn’t do it mentally or physically she should have stepped back and let a healthy alternate do their job. It appears that’s what she did.
                      I could get on board with this, except she did poorly in prelims, and did poorly on first event, then quit. Maybe just bad timing? Either way quitting her commitments on the world stage. Come on man. Everyone worried about Simon but no one worried about the girl that had to fill in at last minute and got an 11….

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
                        Sorry but if there is a judge involved, I'm out. Gymnastics, iceskating and beauty pageants are not sports or competitions to me. When opinions are involved, and the winner is determined by that, it's subjective. I'm not saying that the participants are not super athletic and are not great to watch, but it's just not worthy of the Olympics, IMO.
                        I agree, if there's not objective scoring, addition of runs, goals, in essence points and a defense... its not a sport... period

Comment

It just a sad and weird situation. Didn’t she just a week ago have the goat emblem bedazzled on her leotards? I feel sorry for her, she definitely needs help.

Comment

Originally posted by dale moser View Post
                            "mental health" has been made a crutch by the vast majority of this country. Everyone wants to be in the spotlight until someone turns it on.
                            lol 💯 💯

Comment

Simone Biles mental issues

Just a different perspective from my wife who was a 6A all-state gymnast…when Simone came off that vault you could see it in her face that she was lost in the air, couldn’t find her landing and could have seriously injured herself. Gymnastics can be a much more mental sport than many may think, especially when you can literally paralyze or kill yourself if you freak out in the middle of a skill. Would it be better for her to continue knowing she wasn’t in a good place to compete and score well or step back and give her teammates the best chance to win? It’s not like she went back to the locker room and pouted, she was on the sideline cheering on her teammates and supporting them. It may have taken more courage to withdraw from the event she has been training for full time literally her entire life than try to “power through” and injure herself and tank the team score. I guarantee most of y’all would be posting how selfish and mentally weak she was if she had continued with her routines and scored poorly costing her team a medal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by The Crippler; 07-27-2021, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                                Not a little girl. A Grown *** woman. Men AND women need to learn to pick up their cross and walk up that hill. When you have people relying on you, you don’t get to quit.
                                Life is hard. Never use illness as an excuse not to do something you *could* do.
                                Hope she can work through whatever is troubling her and get her act back together.
                                I couldn’t have said it better myself.

The world of competitive gymnastics is tough, both physically AND mentally. Those who are too weak to handle the competition are usually weeded out long before they reach international levels of competition. But whether they are eliminated through the echelons or not, if they can’t handle the pressure, they have no business being there.

In spite of this, Miss Biles’s decision to withdraw herself from the competition was a strategic one, rather than an impulsive one brought on by emotional distress. When it became clear she could not contribute the number of individual points to the team total needed to beat the Russian team—the high number of points for which she is historically known—she needed to step aside. With the competition between the U.S. and Russia so tight, it became imperative to give the next highest qualifying alternate an opportunity to make up the point deficits.

Frankly, it is disappointing that a mature young woman of 24, one who has trained her whole life for this level of competition, allowed herself to succumb to emotional distractions. Nevertheless, removing herself from the competition was the strategic and honorable thing to do in this instance.
                                Last edited by ThisLadyHunts; 07-27-2021, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X