No announcement yet.

Living in Alaska part 1 bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could have shot all three of the brown bears above with a compound, the sub 20 is tough!

Comment

Love the thread. What does sub 20 mean? Less than 20yrds I guess? And are you just hunting black bear because browns aren’t in season or are browns on a draw system or what? Sorry for my ignorance

Comment

Yea I'm trying to get them within 20 yards for the stick bow. The brown bear season in my area ended on the 15th of June. I moved to Alaska in October and have to be up here one full year before I can legally hunt them, same goes for sheep, goats, grizzlies.

I'm more or less just seeing what works and what doesn't. From what I'm finding out, not too many guys are doing it up here, at least not with any regularity.

Comment

Gotcha. I was curious if how long you have been a resident was what factored into the brown bears.

Comment

Two browns came in last night. This guy came into 5 yards. https://youtu.be/bmXhAokqjQk

Comment

Any luck or updates?

Rwc

Comment

Really cool video!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
                  Two browns came in last night. This guy came into 5 yards. https://youtu.be/bmXhAokqjQk
                  You could sure see his attitude change when he realized you were there….cool video!

Comment

Love the pictures!

Comment

I haven't sat in a week or so, it kinda slowed down for pics, they ate all my cameras. I just got two more in that I'm hanging tomorrow. I ordered another 5 from amazon. Last week when I baited, I put one out that was chewed on pretty good but still takes pictures off and on.

I'm averaging about a camera every 10 days......... I'm going to start chasing salmon now that the baits are pretty much perfect. SHould have some good stuff in a week or so.

Comment

So having never seen a brown bear up close and personal, are those adult brown bears? They look huge when they stand up but don’t look like old moss backs. Still man killers though.

Comment

The bears on this page, the top one is a 7ish footer so pretty close to a 125 whitetail. The pic below that one is a young sow.

I guess I’ve been slacking on this thread. These are good bears here, the top two are the same. I’ve seen both of these on stand now, I’d guess close to 9 foot each.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yesterday’s outing, another camera eaten and stand messed with.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by tradslam; 07-10-2021, 05:27 PM.

Comment

I'm assuming, based on the camera location, they can reach the base of that stand? Or are the brownies climbing the tree? And, final question, what is the plan if they decide to do that while you are in the stand?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

They can reach the stand, an average 8 footer is measured from nose to tail. It doesn’t take much to touch a 10 foot stand.

And if they try it while I’m sitting about 3-6 pounds with my index finger will stop them. (depending on what I’m carrying)

Honestly browns are pretty spooky, I’m not to concerned about that. I’m always prepared for the worst though.

Comment

Working...
                                X