Restaurant Recommendations in DC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restaurant Recommendations in DC?

Haven’t seen my wife in a couple months but we are meeting up in DC for the weekend next week. Hoping someone could give advice on some top choices for dinner brunch and dinner while we are there. I’m leaning towards Tail Up Goat for dinner. Lafayette House is supposed to have good views of the Whitehouse but their menu doesn’t seem that exciting to me. Would also be interested in anything specific that we should see or do while there although time will be limited. We will have vehicles.

Well we had an awesome weekend together in the city. Figured I would share some of where we went in case anyone else searched for DC tips later on.

Brunch at Fishers Farmers & Bakers

After brunch we walked to the National Mall starting at the Lincoln Memorial and worked our way over to the White House eventually

Went across the street from the WH to do rooftop drinks at The Lafayette at Hay Adam’s hotel where they have good views of the Whitehouse. While waiting for a table we spotted some friends on the balcony that we hadn’t seen in 6 years, pretty crazy running into people you know in a city of 700k people and 1200 miles from home.

After drinks we walked to the Capital building then hopped some scooters over to Mandu where we met back up with the friends we ran into earlier. After dinner we retired to their rooftop condo for drinks while watching the sun set over the Washington Monument.

Day 2 was much more relaxed. We walked over 12 miles on day 1 so we ended up sleeping in a bit then doing a little shopping. Did some pre-lunch drinks at POV at the top of The W Hotel which overlooks the WH from the east side.

Short walk for lunch at Founding Farmers (sister restaurant of our brunch place the prior day) before taking a Lyft back to my hotel since I had some work to catch up on before flying out the next morning.

Awesome weekend trip and DC is a great city with an incredible amount of history. All their COVID restrictions including mask requirements were lifted the day I arrived, only downside was the museums and zoo were still requiring tickets with specific time slots and everything was booked but we heard that would be ending soon as well. Hoping to go back in a few weeks to explore the National Gallery of Art and a couple of the Smithsonians.

Comment

Looks like an awesome time. Pretty wild but I’m pretty sure I went to high school with your wife. Small world!

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond07 View Post
        Looks like an awesome time. Pretty wild but I’m pretty sure I went to high school with your wife. Small world!
        Considering your location, I'd say you're right. There's a few folks on here from her hometown. We actually got married in Bergheim about 12 years ago.

Comment

Looks awesome Keith!!! Man I’m not sure I could go a week without seeing my wife, you went months!!!!! WoW

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
            Looks awesome Keith!!! Man I’m not sure I could go a week without seeing my wife, you went months!!!!! WoW

Thanks! A little over 2 months to go. There’s been some challenges but she’s chasing her dreams and I’m very proud of her. The kids are now at their grandparent’s house in Colorado for the summer and getting to travel and visit family in NY and Montana so they’re having a great time but I’m looking forward to the whole family being back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like a great trip. Before we were married, my wife and I did long distance for four years when she went to school - it was tough, but made us appreciate each other more in the long run.

Thanks for sharing, will keep the places you noted in mind the next time we head to DC.

Comment

Looks like a fun trip.

2 months without a conjugal visit sounds like cruel and unusual punishment.

Comment

Good stuff, Keith! Looks like y’all had a great time!

Comment

Nice
                    DC was nice back in the days we flew in USAF. got a chance to go to all the museums but spent most of my time in the air and space, yeah that’s what I do. But the eats were always good. Loved the hard rock. Good to see you had a good time.

Comment

DC is full of history and we enjoyed the monuments and museums. We really only at at fast food places in the city and we stayed at a motel near the MC base so we ate mostly in that area.
                      However the parking situation stinks if you are trying to spend all day site seeing.
                      I would probably go again but would approach that aspect differently. Definitely something worth doing but also definitely not the clean, pretty, place TV makes it out to be.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Every American needs to visit DC at some point in their life. And especially make a trip through the Smithsonian's. Glad yall enjoyed it!

Comment

Originally posted by Riceguy View Post
                          Looks like a great trip. Before we were married, my wife and I did long distance for four years when she went to school - it was tough, but made us appreciate each other more in the long run.

Thanks for sharing, will keep the places you noted in mind the next time we head to DC.
                          Thanks, the wife and kids are moving to Minnesota in August. I'm still waiting on my transfer but fingers crossed I don't have to stay behind too long before I can join them.

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          Looks like a fun trip.

2 months without a conjugal visit sounds like cruel and unusual punishment.

It's a sacrifice for sure. Between her work schedule and mine it's really tough to line up our time off long enough to get a decent visit. Hopefully we will be under the same roof again soon.

Originally posted by louieagarcia View Post
                          Good stuff, Keith! Looks like y’all had a great time!
                          Thanks Louie, we had an awesome time.

Originally posted by coker737 View Post
                          Nice
                          DC was nice back in the days we flew in USAF. got a chance to go to all the museums but spent most of my time in the air and space, yeah that’s what I do. But the eats were always good. Loved the hard rock. Good to see you had a good time.
                          Our friends that we ran into are actually AF officers and work in the Pentagon. We had tickets to the Air & Space museum but got caught up and didn't make it to our time slot.

Comment

Not sure the cocktail with the orange but it's got me craving an old fashioned

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X