X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like that

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
      I really think you are going to have to frame out the outer edges with some angle. Between working and the heat you will put into it, I'm afraid it will warp and bend badly.
      I appreciate the advice and had planned on doing this next as well as a few other things.

Comment

Looks good, now you just need to throw a bench vise or two on it

Comment

This is exactly what i need to build!

Comment

Great looking project, good design and good build. Post pics of it in use, should be real handy, good luck.

Comment

Put yourself a piece of square tubing at the upper corner of one end of the table and then secure a piece of tubing to a bench vise....like a receiver hitch. That way, when you need a vise, you can put it in place and secure it for use. When you don't need one, you can have it on the shelf, where it is out of the way of projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Beardedbuck View Post
                Put yourself a piece of square tubing at the upper corner of one end of the table and then secure a piece of tubing to a bench vise....like a receiver hitch. That way, when you need a vise, you can put it in place and secure it for use. When you don't need one, you can have it on the shelf, where it is out of the way of projects.
                That is an incredible idea! Thanks!

Comment

You can do the same thing with a grinder and have it sitting on the shelf down below as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Beardedbuck View Post
                    You can do the same thing with a grinder and have it sitting on the shelf down below as well.
                    Thats the first thing I thought of when you first mentioned this. I hate a cluttered table with permanent obstacles when building. Thanks again!

Comment

Put something von those corners

Comment

Great table design and it will come in extremely handy, will save your back a bunch if you have been working on the ground, like I did for years.

I think over time you will be looking to replace the top with at least 1/2" plate. As already mentioned the 3/16" will not hold up to much hammering or heat input even with the extra support frame you intend to add.

I built one a few years ago and learned that a heavier top is what is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                          Thats the first thing I thought of when you first mentioned this. I hate a cluttered table with permanent obstacles when building. Thanks again!
                          At work, we have several items setup that way and they each have a spot on the wall that the tubing base slides into so that they're off the bottom of the bench and a little more accessible w/out stooping over.

It's a great way to store and utilize stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                            Great table design and it will come in extremely handy, will save your back a bunch if you have been working on the ground, like I did for years.

I think over time you will be looking to replace the top with at least 1/2" plate. As already mentioned the 3/16" will not hold up to much hammering or heat input even with the extra support frame you intend to add.

I built one a few years ago and learned that a heavier top is what is needed.

I appreciate everyone's input here, but help me understand.
                            I understand how heavy Hammering could bend it and that is why I would only hammer where there is a 5" overhang, but why wouldn't it hold up to the heat?

BTW I am using a Miller 211 MIG

I built this table on top of 1/8" thick plate that was sitting on 2 saw horses.
                            Nothing bent on that skinny plate.

Comment

Great looking table.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                                I appreciate everyone's input here, but help me understand.
                                I understand how heavy Hammering could bend it and that is why I would only hammer where there is a 5" overhang, but why wouldn't it hold up to the heat?

BTW I am using a Miller 211 MIG

I built this table on top of 1/8" thick plate that was sitting on 2 saw horses.
                                Nothing bent on that skinny plate.
                                As you get into bigger and more complex projects you will likely need to weld jigs and such to the table to top to facilitate heating and bending material. That plate thickness will start to move over time and you will no longer have a nice flat surface to work with.

Comment

Working...
                                X