Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6.5 PRC pet loads (143 ELDX and H1000/IMR4831)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 PRC pet loads (143 ELDX and H1000/IMR4831)

My Hornday dies and 0.289 bushing are arriving from Midway any day so I am gearing up for reloading this week for my APR 6.5 PRC. I have 2# each of H1000 and IMR 4831 (not sc), plenty of CCI large rifle primers, a box of 143 ELD-X and 200 once fired Hornady brass. I'm leaning towards 4831 but looking for input and trying to avoid reinventing the wheel. I've spent hours searching the web but haven't found what I'm looking for. Hoping you guys have some pet loads to share with this combo so I can test in that area then adjust COA to dial something in as few shots as possible. Not looking for benchrest accuracy, just 0.5" with low ES/SD. Yes I have a chronograph. Thanks!

I haven't loaded the 143 ELD-X, but have shot some of the factory stuff through my CA Mesa just for the brass. Hornady's website has load data on it for the 6.5 PRC. I did use the factory stuff to kill 2 barbado sheep onour lease last year. At 274 yards those ELD-X did a LOT of damage. I was surprised.

I'm loading the 130 Accubond or the 130 Swift Scirocco with 58.5 grains of H1000 and the CCI BR-2 or the Remington 9-1/2 depending on the bullet and getting 3100 FPS. The Scirocco groups a little better so that's what I'll use this year.

Good luck!

Comment

APR told me that they tell everyone to just use the factory 6.5prc ammo because it’s so good.

I used the Hornady 143 eld-x last weekend when I shot mine for the first time. I’m by no means an expert long range shooter, but I took 3 shots at 800yds and it was a 5” group.

If someone has a good load figured out, I’d tinker with it to maybe save money. Otherwise, they were right about the factory stuff, it shoots well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I work with a guy who has been a serious long range shooter with is 6.5 CM for a number of years. I do not know the specific load he uses but can tell you all he uses is H1000 and buys it by the 8 lb jugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
          APR told me that they tell everyone to just use the factory 6.5prc ammo because it’s so good.

I used the Hornady 143 eld-x last weekend when I shot mine for the first time. I’m by no means an expert long range shooter, but I took 3 shots at 800yds and it was a 5” group.

If someone has a good load figured out, I’d tinker with it to maybe save money. Otherwise, they were right about the factory stuff, it shoots well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          They told me that too but it hasn't been my experience. I did not want to reload for it but the accuracy is not where I want to. That's why I am reloading.

Comment

59 grains of Retumbo has been magic in my PRC. 143 ELDX at magazine length has been 1/2 MOA out to 800 from a light weight mountain rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by bowpro12 View Post
              59 grains of Retumbo has been magic in my PRC. 143 ELDX at magazine length has been 1/2 MOA out to 800 from a light weight mountain rifle.
              I will try Retumbo if the other powders don't work. Thanks!

Comment

Shooting a heavier pill- 156 bergers over N570, ADG brass. SD was 3.7 and average 3050 fps. 570 might be too slow, try 565 if you can find it with 143s.

Comment

Anybody running a 20" barrel? Any/loads velocities that could be shared? My rifle is getting finished up right now and anything would be helpful.
                  MZ

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                    Shooting a heavier pill- 156 bergers over N570, ADG brass. SD was 3.7 and average 3050 fps. 570 might be too slow, try 565 if you can find it with 143s.
                    What was your charge weight on the 156 Berger load?

Comment

60 grains over 210M primers

Originally posted by 1longshot View Post
                      What was your charge weight on the 156 Berger load?

Comment

So no one loads 143 ELD-X with H1000 or 4831? I thought H1000 was the cat's meow. I guess if you get good enough accuracy with factory 143's, no need to handload!

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                          So no one loads 143 ELD-X with H1000 or 4831? I thought H1000 was the cat's meow. I guess if you get good enough accuracy with factory 143's, no need to handload!
                          I can't stand the pressure and would handload anyway! I'd probably start around 51.5 gr. IMR 4831 and 58.0 grains of H1000 and work up in .2-.5 increments.

Comment

RL26 is even more popular, but it didn’t Perform near as well for me.

Originally posted by Outback View Post

Comment

My APR 24" 6.5 PRC didn't like the 143 ELD-x factory loads. I found a sweet spot for the 143 ELD-X using 56.6 of H1000, 210M primer. 5 shot group average of 2972 FPS.

Comment

Working...
                              X