Antler Growth Timeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antler Growth Timeline

When do y’all typically stop seeing antler growth? Also what part of the state? It seems they typically put on a few inches between now and September at our place in Houston county. Curious how that changes around the state

I hunt in northwest Texas at the base of the panhandle. Our bucks rub their velvet off around the first of September. The most antler growth happens in June and July and by August it's tailing off. How they look in early to mid August, for the most part, is how they'll look for the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Nra0585 View Post
      I hunt in northwest Texas at the base of the panhandle. Our bucks rub their velvet off around the first of September. The most antler growth happens in June and July and by August it's tailing off. How they look in early to mid August, for the most part, is how they'll look for the season.
      Same here in the NE corner of the state

Comment

Way out west, bucks are loosing velvet now.

Comment

In Brazoria and Matagorda counties they'll be rubbing out within days.... and will start their rut almost immediately... In Mexico we've got deer still growing 2's..

Comment

Just across the red river from Quanah tx . About half of the bucks will be rubbing the velvet off in about 15 days others will be in about 30 days.

Comment

Based on your rut. Our Rut is in December. So deer don’t drop their antlers until April. They stay in Velvet right up to end of September. We had a couple bucks still in velvet opening week of bow season last year.

Ours are still putting on pretty good growth. Had several bucks add small kickers or extra points in the last week.

Comment

At our place in Anderson county they are done and are about 2 weeks from stripping their velvet. These deer rut the last week of October and first week of November.

At our lease in mexico, many of our bucks still have bulbs on G-2's, and wont stop growing for another month, stripping velvet the last week of September or first week of October.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  In Brazoria and Matagorda counties they'll be rubbing out within days.... and will start their rut almost immediately... In Mexico we've got deer still growing 2's..
                  Saw a mature 9 yesterday that was completely done removing velvet. I'm on the Fort Bend/ Brazoria county line

Comment

Based on what I've seen on trail cameras over the years, they really don't add much antler in the last month before rubbing off their velvet. As in no noticeable growth. I think their is a transition from antler growth to losing velvet in that last month where their nutrition goes elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
                      At our place in Anderson county they are done and are about 2 weeks from stripping their velvet. These deer rut the last week of October and first week of November.

At our lease in mexico, many of our bucks still have bulbs on G-2's, and wont stop growing for another month, stripping velvet the last week of September or first week of October.
                      It's like we're the same person, but not

Our Mexico bucks are a little further along than yours it sounds but not much.

Comment

Our Shackelford Co (native) deer are pretty much done growing. The velvet is starting to get the whiter look to it, as it dries for a few weeks before shedding. Those bucks typically shed Sep 1st to 15th.
                        We also have the offspring of some Maverick Co does mixed in, and those deer typically carry velvet into the first week of October. I think its almost 100% based on when a deer is born, (which ties into when the does fall into rut), as to when they shed velvet in the fall and antlers in the spring.

The South TX offspring rut before and after xmas - the native deer a month before.
                        The mixed genes have basically created a nonstop rut from Nov 1 to Jan 1, which wears heavily on the buck herd, and leads to a higher buck mortality than an all native herd.

As we get further along in our ranches evolution, and the genes continue to mix - I assume these bucks shed periods will get closer together...
                        Last edited by walker1983; 08-13-2019, 02:14 PM.

Comment

In Sutton County they typically start early September and done by the end of the month.

Comment

In both places I hunt, DeWitt and Leon, we see hard horn on camera the first week of September. I assume they are done growing early to mid August.

Comment

Working...
                            X