No announcement yet.

Caddo National Grasslands '16-'17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm honestly done hunting out there. I put in a ton of miles and placed trail cams all over that place over the past year and a half. I have been unable to establish any pattern whatsoever. There are certainly deer there, but I have found very few trails, funnels, or crossings that are seeing regular use. I have found oaks with mounds of untouched acorns under them, rubs and scrapes with no trails coming to or from them, tons of beds used for one time only and none used regularly. It's a total toss up. I'm moving on to hopefully greener pastures with more predicable deer.

Comment

Originally posted by amillsuga View Post
      I just moved to Texas from GA and was planning on scouting the Caddo Grasslands. Any advice on hunting Texas public WMAs?
      I am no expert but I can tell you what iv come up with that works for me. Get a climber and rotate between it and ground hinting. Best thing you can do is put boots on the ground and scout it hard. Find transitions, and intersecting trails and bedding areas. Bedding areas are difficult however because you can’t always tell if it’s a pig or a deer bed. Public land here is pressured but if you get out early in bow season you can get on them before they get pushed deep and get nocturnal. I would suggest scouting and hunting 3-4 different WMAs within proximity during the season. It may take a year or two to harvest a deer as it is tricky in Texas. But, if you have boots on ground and find a couple spots on 3/4 different properties that you go between, your chances increase and you leave less of a footprint on one certain property. Good luck brother.

Comment

Working...
      X