No announcement yet.

Trailering a Side by Side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 6 1/2 by 10 foot single axle trailer that I use to pull my 2016 Teryx UTV. It is a two seater and is exactly 120" long, and fits on the trailer with the ramp up, but I have to take the spare tire off the UTV. It weighs 1500#, so the trailer hauls it fine behind the pickup, a 24' travel trailer, or the 32' motorhome. It has a 3500#naxle, so plenty of capacity. Tow it 70-80mph all the time, and no issues. I would recommend you get at least a 12 foot tho.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      Single axles don’t behave near as well behind a truck as a tandem. They’re lighter and easier to man handle, but if you’re hauling it any distance you’ll love the added stability and control of a tandem. I use a 6x12 tandem for my Defender Crew. I’ve got several larger trailers, so I went with a UTV specific trailer. If I need to haul more I’ve got other options.

Yep I agree here. I went from a single to tandem axel and it rides much better.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I’m pulling mine on a 6x14’ single axle, no regrets and I had it made with a side front drop so I can haul a 4wlr up front and sxs on the rear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 610 mule and pull it it on 6 1/2x14' single axle. Zero issues at all. I load the mule then put 3 big coolers behind it and my generator.

Comment

Originally posted by eastex56 View Post
            If you are looking for a single axle trailer, I would recommend a Parker Performance trailer built in Mt. Pleasant. They are powder coated instead of painted. I bought one new in 2013 to haul my Honda Pioneer 700 side by side. It is 77" wide and 12' long with a ramp style tailgate. It's been a great trailer. I hauled my Honda all over East and West Texas and never had a problem with it. It sat under water for 6 days with my Pioneer on top of it during the Hurricane Harvey floods in '17. The insurance company totaled my Honda but I kept the trailer. All I did was repack the wheel bearings. Everything is fine on the trailer and has very minimal surface rust and its never been kept inside. Never even lost a light bulb. They are well made trailers. In fact, I just ordered another one just like it (except I ordered taller sides with expanded metal on them) as a birthday gift for my son to haul his side by side on. I do agree that if you are going to use it for a crew UTV then you would be better off with a tandem axle trailer. Those crew UTV's are really long and heavy.
            Same one I have and I totally agree 100%. I bought mine with the largest tires that were functional and it sure made a difference. A bit paranoid about blowing a tire and losing control. Having blown a tire this summer and totaled a 31' TT my reservations were well founded.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
              Yep I agree here. I went from a single to tandem axel and it rides much better.

Sierracharlie out…

Mostly depends on tongue weight. A single axle properly loaded pulls just fine

Comment

Call Judy at Lonestar trailer in Montgomery, Tx....you won't find a better deal on a 6x16 tandem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I had single axle trailer that pulled just fine, I do not think a tandem axle trailer pulls any better, as someone said it is all about load distribution. For me, I would buy the 16' for those times u need more room, but if you are sure you wont need the extra room I would get the smaller trailer. Sometimes I wish I had a shorter one as well as my 18' as I don't always need that much room. get what you think you will need, you know your personal situation

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                    Single axles don’t behave near as well behind a truck as a tandem. They’re lighter and easier to man handle, but if you’re hauling it any distance you’ll love the added stability and control of a tandem. I use a 6x12 tandem for my Defender Crew. I’ve got several larger trailers, so I went with a UTV specific trailer. If I need to haul more I’ve got other options.
                    so true and tandem backs better.. But !!! I had both and got a single now sometimes I wish but it passes

Some one said not enough tongue weight...add some..Deer corn/steelscrap/tool box up front..or move axle back

Comment

I have a 6x12 single axle to haul my Ranger XP1000. It pulls just fine. My only complaint is that it sits at the deer lease unused 99% of the time but when I do need it, there is no substitute.

Comment

Get bigger than you think you need. And prolly get brakes as well

Comment

I bought a Ranger 900 side by side last year and bought a Load Trail 12" single axle trailer 1700# axle and it pulls great behind my Ford F150 4x4. No weight issues either and it give me plenty of room for ice chests, corn etc.

Comment

My brother and I have a Big Tex 12’ single axle. We trailer a SBS every trip to the lease with it. Believe me we have put thousands of miles on this thing over the years.

Just wanted to add this one has 3500# axle.
                            Last edited by kruppa24; 01-18-2020, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                              Mostly depends on tongue weight. A single axle properly loaded pulls just fine
                              Yes and no. Does it pull just fine properly loaded? Yes. Does it pull as well as a tandem properly loaded? No. More susceptible to wind sway from both big rigs and wind itself, not near as easy to back, and of course the safety aspect if a tire does blow. Not down talking a single, because they can be plenty beneficial and work better for less equipped tow rigs (small trucks and SUVs).
                              Last edited by TX03RUBI; 01-18-2020, 08:48 AM.

Comment

If blowouts are your concern, buy quality heavy load trailer tires and you’ll be ahead of the game.

Here is my single axle loaded down with plenty of tongue weight (was only going another 30 miles after picking up corn).

The side gate comes in handy for loading atvs or pallets of corn with a forklift.

Another pick of the trailer doing some work-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X